Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Tips on Buying a new car - a buyers guide.

Hey,

Just thought Id wack up a post on things i think people should consider/look at during the purchase / delivery process of a new vehicle..

First thing obviously is finding what sort of vehicle you want to buy, hopefully being a FORD ofcourse :. Once you have narrowed your requirements down a little and worked out what sorta vehicle you require, then you should think about how much you want to spend and what accessories / features you feel are important.

Next step would be to go to your local dealers and do some further research on cars you think will meet your requirements, if your general Requirement is it must be a FORD then go visit your local Ford/FPV dealer.

Once you get to the dealership, if your still early in the decision making process, I recommend you either go on a weekend or at a time when the dealership is closed, this way you can have a good look around, see if you can find anything you like then go home an do some research on the internet about it, (i know dealers wont agree with this, nor will some people as you may require more information at that time or want a peak inside). This will save you from being harassed by a salesman or pushed into making decisions your not ready to make.

Once you get home and hit the internet, have a look at www.autoweb.com.au or www.drive.com.au and see if you can find any reviews of the vehicle, if your looking for specific options or features look at the manufacturers website, in the case of Ford www.ford.com.au or www.fpv.com.au.

Once you have moved along further in the decision process and have actually decided on a brand and model of vehicle, you will need to go back to the price issue, which one can I afford with this many bickies.. For decent pricing on new vehicles based on what you should be looking at, check out www.discountnewcars.com.au, as their pricing is usually achievable by a dealer purchase if you push... They give consumers a good idea about what promotions / discounts are available on new cars and also inform consumers on costs associated with stamp duty and rego.

Once you get to this point and get a price in your head, plus the on road costs and any options / accessories you wish, you can then head down to the dealer. At this stage you will more then likely require a test drive first, which will infact show your seriousness on buying the car, and may commit the salesman a little more to looking after you. Once you have taken the car for a decent run around the block, go back to the dealership and go inside for a chat, once you get to this stage dont come into the whole if you sign today we will give you a decent deal bull, once your there tell the salesmen you want his best price on this car, in this colour, with these options. If he says no I wont price it unless your here to do a deal, stand up and walk out, go to the next closest dealer and try again!

Once you finally get a price on paper (thats if they are willing ot put it on paper without you signing a contract ing_sm ), then refer back to your initial research on pricing and see if their pricing is within the ballpark. If you are totally satisfied with the price, which is possible sometimes if you consider the RETAIL price compared what you are paying, then go ahead with the deal, making sure the dealer can supply you the car and the colour you want in the time frame it is needed. If you are not totally satisfied with the price then go elsewhere until you feel as though your getting a fair deal.

If you find that you cant stretch your money to a new car, talk to the salesmen about any demonstrators available or coming up in the near future. Most dealers usually have around 20 new car demonstrators (depending on the size and brand ofcourse) and can usually satisfy those who cannot afford a brand new car, but want something extremely close to brand new. Demos can be discounted anywhere between 3 grand up to 10 grand depending on the make and model, you only have to look at Denmac Ford's pricing on Demos in last Saturdays Carsguide! :monkes:

The next step is the long wait for your new car, whether it be 2 days or 2 months, it seems to last forever. If you have to wait for a long period of time, try and keep in touch with the dealer and make sure they keep giving you updates etc. Once the vehicle arrives at the dealership get the salesmen to ring you so you can go down and view the car (most don't care about customers coming to look at their new toy, however i know some dealers have special policies where customers aren't suposed to view stock until it is preped incase there is something wrong with it). If you do get to see your new vehicle before delivery have a good look over it, especially the paint and overall finish of the car.. If you find anything wrong mention it to the salesmen and make sure he understands that you won't be signing the acceptance unless its fixed. Also bring up any possible factory options you ordered and make sure he show / proves they are on the car, this way you dont go to pick it up and find something missing.

Then the big day arrives... When the day comes to picking up your new car try and set the time for arrival earlish in the day, i say no later then 1 pm in the arvo... I know many people pick up new cars late in the arvo, seems to be some sort of ritual, but i disagree with it for a few reasons. Firstly if you go earlier in the day and you do find an issue with the car, the dealer is more likely in a position to fix it! as PD usually shuts up shop at most dealers around 3 - 4 in the arvo, and most little annoying things can be fixed straight away!. Secondly if you pick the car up earlier in the day with more sunlight etc, you are more likely to find blemishes / issues with it then you are at 5 pm when the sun has gone down and the dealer has hidden it in the shade behind the building! Check things like the underneath of front bumpers (especially on XRs and FPVs) along with wheels for scratches, defects in tint etc.

If your unfortunate enough to find any small issues once you get home, take the car straight back to the dealership the next business day and have them noted to be fixed at the 3,000 km service, as if you wait till the 3k service they are more then likely going to say nay, you did the damage therefore we aren't fixing it for free!

Anyways these are my tips to buying a new car and do not include the trading in of your old car!

Hope this helps anyone looking for a new vehicle.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 29-09-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post