Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #1
mrih8hsv

Default ford warranty what a joke

well if you have modified your ford and expect ford to pay any warranty forget it. ive had a diff issue and they have knocked it back because my suspension is modified (only recently) the car still has 18 months warranty left and has been serviced every 10k what a joke im not impressed with the dealer and ford

Old 05-11-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
pitpal
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You play, you pay. Its a risk you take mate.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah its common knowledge. I mean think about it, Ford spends millions in R&D and then someone plays with it and expects Ford to fully cover it.

Ford should have their own list of mod options that are factory backed. Wouldn't that ruffle some feathers.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
mowog
Discovery 4

There isn't a lot of info here.

How do they claim the suspension mods contributed to the diff problem? For them to reject the warranty on the diff the mods would have had to have direct affect.

So did they explain their reasons?
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #5
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

every car maker does ,dont flame ford .you mod ,you lose .as simple as an air cleaner and you engine warranty is gone .you changed relative diff angles, drive angles etc ,thats the way it is!
its too late now but in future and its cheating ,put it back to normal before taking it in .i know thats not always possible .
Old 05-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Whats the issue with your diff, and why is Ford knocking it back??
Old 05-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Whats the issue with your diff, and why is Ford knocking it back??
Im going out on a limb and say bushes or balancing issue. Either way its a knock. And vanman is right, once you play with tolerances and dimensions your stuffed.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Im going out on a limb and say bushes or balancing issue. Either way its a knock. And vanman is right, once you play with tolerances and dimensions your stuffed.

Well the thing is, if you can prove that the modification has nothing to do with the problem then you can get the warrenty job. This has been discussed.
This is why I'm asking, if someone jumps on and starts slaging of Ford with a weak OP then it's not really gonna help (not having a go BTW to OP). If he can go into more detial maybe something can be nutted out there is enough knowledge here to be able know what the issue may be.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
mrih8hsv

it has suspension mods only springs and nolthan diff bush etc its a knock while driving not on take off the dealer confirmed there is excessive backlash noise and there is a problem yes i will flame ford the diff internals should not be affected by a set of lowered springs its a xcop car was already low
Old 05-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think the point is is that the any vehicle warranty covers it for the way it left the factory.

It's a similar thing with Trucks, the handbooks all say that overloading or speeding will void the warranty.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
mrih8hsv

g do all you guys work for ford (i didnt buy a xr6t to leave it standard) i dont expect ford to change any of my suspension if it fails g would my motor still be covered where does it stop if my turbo blows up will they turn around and say you have modified the suspension we wont pay for it
Old 05-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrih8hsv
g do all you guys work for ford (i didnt buy a xr6t to leave it standard) i dont expect ford to change any of my suspension if it fails g would my motor still be covered where does it stop if my turbo blows up will they turn around and say you have modified the suspension we wont pay for it
No, be realistic. Any modification that directly contributes to failure of a part will not be covered by warranty. So of course lowering is not going to affect the engine, unless you lower it so much that you rip the oil pan apart on a speed hump.

Now, wake up from your dream. Did the car show symptoms before lowering? If yes, are you able to prove that? If no, then what do you think may have contributed to the damage to the diff (I would say it's obvious that the lowering may have, and that's the line ford will take)? Did you get the lowering work done at Ford? If so, then the dealer should cover it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 05-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I still get warranty on my ute and its not exactly standard... Wouldn't expect a driveline warranty though.
Lowering your car changes the driveshaft angle and blah,blah,blah. Ford are money strapped and are tough on warranty at moment.

Its been said a million times "You play You pay"

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #14
dreadly
Banned

Lol this is why you dont buy a new car unless you plan to leave it alone! Buy a second hand one with 40k on it, it's not even really broken in yet, save 20-30% on rrp, and mod away
Old 05-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

Ha ha, imagine thinking you can modify your new car and still claim on warrenty.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it has suspension mods only springs and nolthan diff bush etc its a knock while driving not on take off the dealer confirmed there is excessive backlash noise and there is a problem yes i will flame ford the diff internals should not be affected by a set of lowered springs its a xcop car was already low
So you bought a second hand ex-government vehicle, changed the suspension which directly affects the operation of the IRS and therefore the diff, state that "I did not buy a XR6T to keep it standard" and get rolled on a warranty claim?

Do you think "I did not by a XR6T to go slow" be a good defence against a speeding ticket?

Many "minor modders" get away with stuff because they bought their car new for the same dealer they are getting it serviced by and the dealer wants to keep them happy but unfortunately you have no such leverage.

Now what "secret" flash tune, air/exhaust/IC/injector mods have you also done? They can tell with the BFs.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ex Cop car pretty much sums it up. While they are looked after you cant escape from the fact the you are rolling the dice not knowing how much its been hammered.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #18
mikestp
EF Ghia

just put your stock springs back in and take it to them
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
irlewy86
Meep Meep

''THE MOMENT YOU MODIFY YOUR VEHICLE YOU BECOME THE MANUFACTURER''

Why is that so hard to understand?
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestp
just put your stock springs back in and take it to them
Or another dealer that hasn't seen the car.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #21
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
every car maker does ,dont flame ford .you mod ,you lose .as simple as an air cleaner and you engine warranty is gone .you changed relative diff angles, drive angles etc ,thats the way it is!
its too late now but in future and its cheating ,put it back to normal before taking it in .i know thats not always possible .
No not every maker denies warranty on modified cars.... Some makers perfer to keep their customers happy and loyal.

I have a toyota with lowered suspension (springs) (42mm). One of the factory shocks developed a knock well after i lowered it. I took it into the dealer (expecting to pay), instead they replaced both front shocks free of charge under warranty. (40,000km on the car)

Thats why i moved away from ford into a japanese company. Used to have a subaru and also had the same great service even after mods.

Its mostly the Australian companies who pass the buck and don't want to know you when a problem arises.

Meh, it's not like ford need to keep customers anyway, at the rate they are going they won't be around much longer anyway!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #22
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Yeah i'd be going to another dealer and trying them. Some dealers just won't care and will just repair it anyway.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #23
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK30RB
No not every maker denies warranty on modified cars.... Some makers perfer to keep their customers happy and loyal.

I have a toyota with lowered suspension (springs) (42mm). One of the factory shocks developed a knock well after i lowered it. I took it into the dealer (expecting to pay), instead they replaced both front shocks free of charge under warranty. (40,000km on the car)

Thats why i moved away from ford into a japanese company. Used to have a subaru and also had the same great service even after mods.

Its mostly the Australian companies who pass the buck and don't want to know you when a problem arises.

Meh, it's not like ford need to keep customers anyway, at the rate they are going they won't be around much longer anyway!!!

I hazard a guess that the number of people who modify Ford/Holden vehicles out number the rest by at least 5:1, judging purely by the amount of Camry performance parts on the market.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #24
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I hazard a guess that the number of people who modify Ford/Holden vehicles out number the rest by at least 5:1, judging purely by the amount of Camry performance parts on the market.
LOL thats a crack up
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #25
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
i wouln't know about the availability of Camry performance parts, but it seems that you do. Getting ready for your next car once falcon dies are you?
Old 05-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #26
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So you bought a second hand ex-government vehicle, changed the suspension which directly affects the operation of the IRS and therefore the diff, state that "I did not buy a XR6T to keep it standard" and get rolled on a warranty claim?

Do you think "I did not by a XR6T to go slow" be a good defence against a speeding ticket?

Many "minor modders" get away with stuff because they bought their car new for the same dealer they are getting it serviced by and the dealer wants to keep them happy but unfortunately you have no such leverage.

Now what "secret" flash tune, air/exhaust/IC/injector mods have you also done? They can tell with the BFs.
Please stop trying to make sense; this is an anti-Ford thread...

The fact what you have typed is 100% correct will be bypassed simply to allow those how are stupid to continue to post.

*As for those suggesting that he returns the car to stock and then take it to another dealer..... that could be seen a fraud.
And given, most claims that are voided are recorded on FoMoCo's system, means that as soon as the Vin# pops up, it'll get $h*t canned again.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 05-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #27
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
i wouln't know about the availability of Camry performance parts, but it seems that you do. Getting ready for your next car once falcon dies are you?
No I owned a Camry and before you ask; Yes I like lawn bowls.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #28
mrih8hsv

if it makes every body happy im paying for the diff out of my pocket ive never heard so much dribble so nobody on this forum modifies there car keep up the dribble
Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
keep up the dribble
It seems you are, it seems you are.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #30
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Back for a troll after 10 months :
Closed Thread