Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-06-2023, 05:34 PM   #5461
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

I was changing the oil in my car today and had one of those oh **** thoughts. A couple days back i booked a hotel but never got the confirmation email. So i called the hotel and sure enough my booking did not go through, but the lady on the phone did it then and there. So i check in, not only did they give me a free room upgrade, but it was also $48 cheaper then the interweb price of a normal room. Thats a win in my book.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2023, 05:43 PM   #5462
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I was changing the oil in my car today and had one of those oh **** thoughts. A couple days back i booked a hotel but never got the confirmation email. So i called the hotel and sure enough my booking did not go through, but the lady on the phone did it then and there. So i check in, not only did they give me a free room upgrade, but it was also $48 cheaper then the interweb price of a normal room. Thats a win in my book.
I usually find somewhere via Wotif or similar, then ring the place direct telling them how I found them and why I'm calling them instead of the booking company.

This usually gets a big thank you and a room discount as they don't have to pay the agents commission.
Old 23-06-2023, 05:50 PM   #5463
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I usually find somewhere via Wotif or similar, then ring the place direct telling them how I found them and why I'm calling them instead of the booking company.

This usually gets a big thank you and a room discount as they don't have to pay the agents commission.
Never understood the booking online thing, always found it cheaper dealing direct with motel / caravan park owners.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 07:42 PM   #5464
Kicking back

Thumbs up Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:

What happened was i booked through the hotels site, not a 3rd party. I did look at the 3rd party sites but the rate was the same. The site at the time when i did the booking said confirmed but as i said i never got the email. So anyrate called and was polite to the lady on the phone, she just works there not in the IT department so not her fault. Now i have stayed there before. When i walked in to check in i was greeted and the lady says 'i thought that was you on the phone before'. So most probably she is just good at her job, but i preffer to think its because im incredibly good looking (yes thats my go to joke).
So aside from that, did an oil change in my car today and somehow unknown to me, no old oil missed the drain pan. I stayed clean bar the standard little bit you get on you removing the filter. I ninja'd the sump plug, nothing on me from that...
Helped (not really, was there though) my brother do his car yesterday. He got pretty oily.
But standard issue, when you go to get stuff for your car, something is always forgotten. So not filters or 10w30 for the au or 5w30 for my bf. I forgot wiper blades. My car has a bullet hole in the windshield so i go through wiper blades. My brother said his wipers are pretty sad too, then asked if i could get him one of the headlight polishing kits. Reason for that is the mechanic we use for rego is proper and my brother was told last inspection if his car comes back with the same faded/yellowed headlights it will be a fail. So conveniently enough there is both a supercheap and a repco down the street from this hotel. So another convenience for today for me.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2023, 10:33 PM   #5465
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Finished The Push up Challenge today. 3,144 pushups over 23 days. And, unlike previous years, I was able to do the target as full pushups, not substituting with other exercises like situps or lunges.

Raised $150 for our local Lifeline. With my fellow team members, we raised around $550, which funds them to take 15 phonecalls from those in need of assistance.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2023, 11:08 PM   #5466
Itsme
Experienced Member

This week I got to salvage what was left of my two week holiday in SA, weather not too bad for this time of the year and I got to tick off a few visits on my bucket list, one which was a visit to the car museum in Birdwood, I was really impressed with the Holden display, also the Tom Kruse Royal Mail truck.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2023, 12:52 PM   #5467
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Neighbours and I noticed a magpie stuck in the red gum near my place late yesterday arvo. Called a wildlife carer who suggested the only real option was a tree climber. Then I remembered a mate who is an arborist does that sort of thing. Called him and he said he'd be happy to help out if needed. After a sleepless night, checked this morning and the bird was both still alive and still stuck.

Mate brought his cherry picker around and was able to fejrase the bird. Once down, we could see that it had a length of twine very tightly wound around it's foot. After a bit of scalpel work, the twine was free and we took it to the vet, who is now going to examine it and, if rehabilitable, will pass it on to a wildlife carer who will rehabilitate it and then rekrasr it back around my area.

So, a very successful operation which ended up involving about six of my neighbours. A very satisfying outcome, one I could not have achieved without my mates expertise. A huge thanks to Angus.

I'm on a high now. I feel like I've done my good deed for the day. I'll throw up some more pics in the birdwatching thread a bit later today.

Ps I know a lot of people would say it's a lot of effort just for a magpie, but I couldn't stand by and watch it suffer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 24-06-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 24-06-2023, 08:35 PM   #5468
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

And I was fortunate enough to see the bird released, too!

I was in my bedroom, and saw a car in our court (we don't get many cars in our court at all as there's only four houses in it and one of them is vacant, so an odd car stands out). I thought the person was dumping rubbish when I saw the errant magpie fly free!

I raced out to find that it was one of the vet nurses. The magpie checked up all good, so they decided to bypass the wildlife carer and let it go. The vet nurse wasn't sure she was in the right spot (our court looks like a driveway) until she saw seven magpies on the fence nearby. Magpies came from everywhere as soon as the rescued magpie flew into the gum tree.

Two feelgood moments in one day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 24-06-2023, 09:44 PM   #5469
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love magpies, always jelous of my dad, as a kid he had a pet one. Dad and Jack would go to school together. it would sit and sing on the railing outside the clasroom, Jack would go fishing with dad the two were inseparable.
Old 25-06-2023, 09:33 PM   #5470
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Finally cleaned up a decent pile of prunings from a job that I started before the Fluvid thing knocked me flat. Been almost three weeks of slowly regaining energy and stamina.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2023, 02:23 PM   #5471
roKWiz
Cabover nut

This looks promising in the backyard.
My 4 Cootamundra Wattles don't normally start to flower until early August !

On this really cold day here, I'm hoping for an early Spring.

6 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2023, 04:34 PM   #5472
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
This looks promising in the backyard.
My 4 Cootamundra Wattles don't normally start to flower until early August !

On this really cold day here, I'm hoping for an early Spring.

Yep, noticed some wattles around here are nearly in full bloom already!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 28-06-2023, 04:58 PM   #5473
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our wattles are nowhere near flowering yet.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2023, 11:38 PM   #5474
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Belmont butter shortbread back on the shelves at Aldi. Heaven!
And this week, their house brand version of Pizza Shapes.
Old 30-06-2023, 07:02 PM   #5475
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK- not as environment green as the wattle posts.

Riding back home on my bicycle early from work, a 32 km ride back - into the wind and it was brutal. Started thinking about drinking a bottle shiraz on concrete balcony in sun looking at sunset- Friday arvo post week work drinks at home.

And my goodness- reality was as good as the dream, looking over Lake Macquarie over Mount Sugarloaf sunset setting behind, bathed in warmth of afternoon sunset sun , felt like a lizard in sun, shiraz in hand, life is good.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 30-06-2023 at 07:07 PM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2023, 07:09 PM   #5476
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
OK- not as environment green as the wattle posts.

Riding back home on my bicycle early from work, a 32 km ride back - into the wind and it was brutal. Started thinking about drinking a bottle shiraz on concrete balcony in sun looking at sunset- Friday arvo post week work drinks at home.

And my goodness- reality was as good as the dream, looking over Lake Macquarie over Mount Sugarloaf sunset setting behind, bathed in warmth of afternoon sunset sun , felt like a lizard in sun, shiraz in hand, life is good.
Try some of this

Old 30-06-2023, 08:22 PM   #5477
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

POETS - **** off early, tomorrow's Saturday
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2023, 11:13 PM   #5478
Kicking back

I booked the same hotel i did last week. Anyhow, i must be impressionable.... thats my joke of the day. What i mean was i must have somehow left a good impression.
So i go to check in, it was the other lady on the desk this time. I booked online this time. So the lady says 'greg isnt it'. Yep. She says she thought she recognised the name. So she had the paperwork and room cards ready, but scruched up the paperwork and asked to give her a minute. So she typed away and did new paperwork. So yeah, signed that and payed the same rate as last week.
So yeah, i booked the base room. Theyre pretty nice. Studio with a 2 burner stove. Last week they gave me a free upgrade to a room with a king size bed.
Dunno what I've done other then be polite, but this time they upgraded me to a 1 bedroom appartment. Same rate as last week, but full kitchen as in 4 burner stove, oven and dishwasher. Washer and dryer in the bathroom as well as a bath tub (not using that, im an adult). Kitchen table and a decent lounge, and a small balcony. I looked it up, there is quite a decent monetary gap between the room i booked and payed that rate for compared to the room i got.
Anyhow, after sussing out the room there was only 1 small pot in the kitchen. So i goes down to reception to ask if it was possible to get a larger pot and possibly a frypan. So there was 2 people infront of me checking in, whatever i can wait. Man alive the 1st lady was just flat out rude to the lady on reception. So im happy to pigeon hole people when its obvious. So yeah, raging bogan sheila. Next person checking in was also rude to reception lady.
Anyhow, asked the lady at reception if i could be a pain in the hole. Obviously i said that with a smile, please and thank you etc. So yeah no dramas, she got houskeeping to bring up cooking stuff.
Now i know what its like dealing with customers. I also know what its like being a customer. Theres no need to be rude for no reason if a person is doing their job. It goes both ways, but even if you are in a bad mood for whatever reason, keep it to yourself in that kind of situation.
Anyhow, ill leave it as i must be impressionable....
5 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2023, 08:44 AM   #5479
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Try some of this

Good to see you posting a local wine from here.

Old 01-07-2023, 09:16 AM   #5480
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Good to see you posting a local wine from here.
Tried it have you ?
Old 01-07-2023, 09:16 AM   #5481
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Try some of this

That's my wife's favourite drop + I also enjoy the occasional glass.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2023, 09:23 AM   #5482
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Tried it have you ?
God no, I don't drink vile weeds.

But do have breakfast there occasionally and built one of their entrance walls in Milawa.

All the vineyards/wineries I have built entrances for, give me bottles of the hideous stuff.

Golden Ball wine's is another beauty you would probably like.

2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #5483
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
God no, I don't drink vile weeds.
Meh, your loss
Old 01-07-2023, 09:38 AM   #5484
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Meh, your loss
Nah, not if you saw the way its processed. You must like 220 ??

Old 01-07-2023, 04:38 PM   #5485
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Thought this might make Gaso feel good today.

2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2023, 10:58 AM   #5486
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yesterday, stopped off at the famous (in Perth at least) Toodyay bakery about 120 kays from Perth. There was another cabinet of goodies but people in the way of the shot.
I went the vanilla slice.
Then I got to drive a good friend's XD 351 manual back home.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:00 AM   #5487
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 03-07-2023, 11:28 PM   #5488
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I was “gifted” (as in, someone asked do I want this) a cable lock with four dial combination. Which was unknown.

So I sat down this evening and fiddled until fairly confident I’d picked one dial. That reduced it to just a thousand possibilities. Another fifteen minutes and it was open; nice win and a usable freebie.
6 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2023, 11:33 PM   #5489
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I was “gifted” (as in, someone asked do I want this) a cable lock with four dial combination. Which was unknown.

So I sat down this evening and fiddled until fairly confident I’d picked one dial. That reduced it to just a thousand possibilities. Another fifteen minutes and it was open; nice win and a usable freebie.
Did you remember to write down the winning combination LOL
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2023, 12:08 AM   #5490
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

My birthday

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post