Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
krzysiek

Default Alternative to FG XR6 (No Holdens) That I Should Consider [up tp 40K]

Hey guys,

You have likely seen me posting around (or maybe not). I am very strongly considering buying a new car. The car I have myself fixed on is the FG XR6 EcoLPi. This thing is no doubt a good choice, and really leaves Holden out of the equation now without a doubt (opinion).

However, I just stumbled upon a thread about the Hyundai Genesis, saw a few pics of it & it looks good and is said to be a good performer. Now, that does not mean I am switching my mind all of a sudden, but it made me think that I shouls really be considering some other cars, too, possibly.

I am on my P's, I don't have anywhere near as much knowledge and/or experience as a lot of you on here. To me, the FG XR6 seems like the best one out there by a mile. But what do I know?

I'm looking for a:

1) P plate legal car (no turbo)
2) Car under 40K new (can stretch possibly if worth but honestly 40K is most likely tops)
3) Looks great
4) Performance comparable to XR6
5) Comes with factory LPi (haha, joke... I wish!)

All ideas appreciated!

krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Alternative to FG XR6 (No Holdens) That I Should Consider [up tp 40K]

Honda Accord V6
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
Zero_PSI
Banned

Default Re: Alternative to FG XR6 (No Holdens) That I Should Consider [up tp 40K]

Personally I'd pick the Genisis...But that's because it's more of a flat out RWD sports coupe rather than a Family sports car. I'm into exotic cars.

On the other hand.

I picked my BA because it was under 20k and it was a muscle-bred sedan with a sports car attitude. Plus I prefer utes lol.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Id go for a Aurion myself,not the TRD just XR6 spec so to speak.

Last edited by FreddyDUZ747; 24-06-2011 at 03:20 AM.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
kpcart
Banned

you are limiting yourself by disregarding the holdens. if you are going to disregard good cars, then i suggest you could buy an au falcon ex taxi on lpg. that will suit your needs..
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
turbo4me

Aurion for mine
Old 24-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
if you are going to disregard good cars, then i suggest you could buy an au falcon ex taxi on lpg. that will suit your needs..
yeah even then they can be good cars
if you want a bad car buy an astra

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 24-06-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Check out the new Mondeo with the 2lt ecoboost engine. You will be pledently surprised.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
VICFPV

I was in your shoes not long ago.
I went for a Nissan Maxima 3.5lt.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Accord Euro,you will get one well under $40k and they have all the fruit. If you are a manual driver the gearbox is sensational.
Old 24-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
The car I have myself fixed on is the FG XR6 EcoLPi. This thing is no doubt a good choice, and really leaves Holden out of the equation now without a doubt (opinion).
Is the only reason you are ignoring Holden because you have this idea that the XR6 is better? Because to be honest, at present the VEII SV6 is simply better value - you are doing yourself a disservice if you count out the Commodore for no reason. I also wouldn't look at FWD large cars, but that's personal preference.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Is the only reason you are ignoring Holden because you have this idea that the XR6 is better? Because to be honest, at present the VEII SV6 is simply better value - you are doing yourself a disservice if you count out the Commodore for no reason. I also wouldn't look at FWD large cars, but that's personal preference.
the fact that he is looking at buying a Lpi version of the xr6 tells me he is not looking to buy right now but is waiting for the new products. this being the case he should wait a bit longer for FG2 (or whatever they call it) and buy one of them. this should have terri touch screen amongst other upgrades and put it back on par with its main rival.

this thread highlights to me why holden outsells ford. holden buyers (to me) seem much more loyal. when the time comes to buy a new car, they'll just wander on back to the holden dealer and upgrade to the newest version. ford fans on the other hand look at every other option (taking the opportunity to have a crack at ford in the process). some see this as being 'smarter' and not just blind loyalty, but when the sales figures appear each month its all doom and gloom.

to the OP,- wait for fg2 (only a month or 2 after ecoLPi is released anyway) and buy the XR6. it will have everything you need in a motor car and will make you feel good knowing you are supporting a dwindling aussie car industry.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Do you want RWD? Have a look at some other Euro offerings- BMW etc that are a year or two old and let someone else pay for the depreciation.

I have an Aurion after a succession of Falcons but I would not really recommend......super little engine and in the right conditions is faster than the Holden or Ford offerings but is let down by an atrocious gearbox, dreadful handling, comfort, no split folding rear seats, plastic dash and oddly enough, the build and fit on mine takes a lot to be desired with bit falling off as soon as I received it!
This asides, it is a superb value car that will hold it's value better than most others and is almost silent in the cabin, has a few nice little details and if you don't need to tow anything substantial, might be worth a look at.
Having given the poor Aurion a bit of a serve, I will also be the first to say that when it has issues, their service is light years ahead of our local ford and Holden dealers......and I didn't even buy it from our local dealer!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about a Mazda RX8?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #15
anto
Za Dom spremni

your first instinct is correct mate, stick with the FORD, it is the best car out there for the money.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please do drive the equivalent Holden, that way you can tell all your friends you did try all the options.

There should be a Volkswagen of some kind in your mix too.

Every Car I have purchased new (only the EFII and the BFII) I have tried all the competition, and still come back to the Ford as the best alternative. (Mind you, if the best was a holden, I would have deferred the decision until that was not the case any more)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
BrisVegas
Noobie

new options under $40k? I like the mondeo and passat as they're quick enough with much nicer interiors and (subjectively) style than the Falcon. Neither will go as hard as a 200kwatt Falcon though. The Falcon would be a safer bet out of warranty too.

I'd be waiting for FG2/FH to come out in 2 months to see what it offers.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been driving a Mondeo Zetec TDCi for the last few weeks and I must say i'm extremely impressed with its handling. I live 54kms from work and I drive down 70-90km/hr windy country back roads which you can have some fun on before getting into Sydney suburban traffic. I'm getting about 750-800km to a tank and it handles brilliantly although at times it doesn't feel quite as planted in the rear end as the Falcon understandably. This model isn't even new, it's a 2007 with 45,000kms. I've been driving both 5-spd/6-spd XR6's and G6's for the last 6 months mostly and while I love them, the Mondeo is a definite competitor if you can get past it being FWD. A new Zetec will have Bluetooth, F+R parking sensors, a pumping Sony sound system, great adjustable headlights for night driving and heaps more. Take one for a drive
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I can highly recommend a Mazda 6 diesel. On the move I think it could keep up with the XR6. It has 400Nm on tap in a lighter body. The other one I would suggest is an Ecoboost Mondeo.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
BrisVegas
Noobie

Can you get an auto in the 6 diesel yet? That would be a must for me. I don't mind rowing my old manual diesel Pajero along, but not interested in doing that in a midsize sedan in traffic.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #21
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

No, not until the skyactiv comes out probably in the next model.

Who needs to row? Just stick it in 3rd and let the torque do the rest. Ha ha
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #22
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: Alternative to FG XR6 (No Holdens) That I Should Consider [up tp 40K]

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
Hey guys,

You have likely seen me posting around (or maybe not). I am very strongly
I'm looking for a:

1) P plate legal car (no turbo)
2) Car under 40K new (can stretch possibly if worth but honestly 40K is most likely tops)
3) Looks great
4) Performance comparable to XR6
5) Comes with factory LPi (haha, joke... I wish!)

All ideas appreciated!
Going to fail on #4, but its ample

I would go for a Lexus CT200h

Best build quality and most happy customers on the planet
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #23
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
How about a Mazda RX8?
That's a Joke right?
Guy I worked with had one. His fuel bill was greater than mine in the GT and that did not include the liter of oil he had to add every month.
We worked out my car was much cheaper to run than his.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don`t buy the first one you see, don`t let anyone else tell you what to buy, test drive as many as you can , and good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #25
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Hmm Japan has a lot of cars that would interest you. Look at an import? 40K should get you something real nice. Nissan has a few nice RWD/AWD sedans, so does Toyota: Aristo, Chaser etc. Real cars, not the Toy cars that Toyota Australia try to sell us over here.

http://www.j-spec.com.au

Last edited by malazn mafia; 24-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #26
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Willing to budge be it brand new/second hand?

The Volkswagon R32 are good 'bang'
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #27
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

for new, Mazda 6 or Ford Mondeo.
Decent size and alright power and well equipped.
Old 24-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeo diesel will give you as good as if not lower running costs to a XR6 with LPG and while initial traffic light grand prix performance is less once on the highway you will be able to play.

Genesis is not here yet so unless you are willing to wait about 12 months you can't have one and if you DO wait 12 months you will be able to have a XR6 with LPG
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #29
krzysiek

Wow, a huge amount of replies - thank you!

First things first: I noticed a couple of replies about why I am disregarding Holden completely. I understand this that probably makes me look like an idiot, but I know that the direct competitor to the FG XR6 is the SV6. I have driven the FG, not the VE yet (will do it sometime soon just to 'get it done') but from what I can see/read they are similar in performance (which is one of the main points for me).

-------------------

Other cars mentioned: Will be taking a look at all of them. If I had the money, I wouldn't mind a really nice Euro car, but BMW's are quite expensive (but I love the look). Not sure about performance and fuel costs, though. Wish there were more cars out there with tried and tested LPG fuel systems done for them, as that is a huge plus in my opinion/

As such, then I consider the LPi version of the XR6 coming out, which should probably now beat the performance of the SV6 and plus be a lot cheaper to run. For this reason I have said I will not be going with Holden (when it comes to a Ford vs Holden battle anyway, I would want to support Ford because I think they need it much more anyway).

So my decision to say I am ignoring Holden probably wasn't the best one to just say it without justifying. I will be testing driving one soon.

----------------------------------------

As for the other choices, I do see a Mondeo popped up a few times. I had a look at a Mondeo back before I ever got my first car (around 2 years or so ago) at the ford dealer. Was a diesel one I believe. Didn't enjoy the look of the car much though, but from the responses in this thread I'm going to need to give it a go I would say.
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I didn't take the time to see if Genesis was a 4/5 seater, but if it's only a two seater you could consider a Nissan 350Z. Should find a decent one with your budget.

Being only on P's however, how is it that your budget is 40k? Seems pretty high of a person on P plates. In no way am I being discriminatory, if anything I'm jealous you can somehow afford 40k being on your P's. But if it's the case, how many cars have you owned previously? Is 40k really the amount you need to spend on your next car?