Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default a2b's do they drive you mad?

first up should probably explain what this is. They are the people who have no respect for other peoples cars (or their own for that matter), and simply view a car as a tool to get from place A to place B.

Just curious if other people on here that modify their car's get people saying its a waste of time an you should just drive it blah blah blah? Had a friend of a friend lastnite carryon saying its stupid and a waste of money, then when i asked what his hobby was he said making models. When i pointed out at least i can sit in mine and take it places the discussion turned interesting.

Do you get people who say its a waste of money and it stupid when they themselves waste money on hobbies that's not goin to make them any money but think its different?

Old 25-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default Re: a2b's do they drive you mad?

Different strokes for different folks. If they feel it necessary to give their opinion, then its only fair to give yours about them....
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
ACEz

We all have hobbies and differ, I couldn't agree more with the OP, I'm 17 and have an xr6 and crf450r(ride every weekend) thats what i love and saved like a mother to buy them, Most people these days are just happy to sit at home on Facebook or something doing nothing with there lives anyways.But at the end of the day it's what you are passionate about and doesn't matter what other people think ,After all it's your life and your money not theirs.
Old 25-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

We tweak. We build. We blueprint. We put on. We take off. We paint. We Chrome. We chop and channel. We sculpt, shape and mould. We do these things to cars most people thought were perfectly fine when they rolled out of the yard. Why do we do it? Because we can
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Those sort of people do annoy the crap out of me.

''Why put so much money into an old car''

Uh....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Everyones different.. Just like some people who put loads of money into cars don't care about their health...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cars from factory are a compromise. Take the LS1 for example, restricted output from factory as the authorities at the time deemed it necessary (for whatever reason).

They try and please everybody as to appeal to a broader market.

We simply tailor them to suit our wants and needs... and have some fun in the process

I have tried many times to convince people who are non-auto enthusiasts that it's a hobby that you get a reward out of every time you drive somewhere, e.g. every day in my case.

Alas, the logic is lost on them, with retorts of "expensive" or "childish" and my personal favourite, "irresponsible / unnecessary amount of power for the road". You also get the greenies who slander you with the usual climate change / gas guzzler / sounds like it eats babies for breakfast. I maintain they are just jealous they can't afford the fuel

It seems to be all in their favour until you comment on their $5k on a NAS box (Computer storage device that holds large amounts of data) or $10k on a camera lens, and start pointing out how 'unnecessary' it is as they are not 'professional photographers' or 'system admins'.

It boils down to what value we place on our hobbies and interests, and many seems to believe cars are more of a labour of love than a logical decision, but so is everyone's hobby at some stage. You can't please everyone!

GSAU
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Different strokes for different folks. I...
Thats true, but they dont have to be a bore about it.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no big deal.... some get all excited over a monster booger collection....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always cringe when I see a late model XR6 that are a pretty nice ride, then look closer and not only is the car filthy and full of rubbish, it's got a disheveled, overweight middle-aged woman in the drivers seat. It happens a lot with Mercs and Audis too. They should stick to the Hyundai Elantra I say.
Old 25-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to really care about my car, especially when I was in the car club. But I don't really care about the car anymore. I've washed it twice this year. Maintenance is still important, and its always serviced by ford dealer. Other than that, it's just a car, its mass produced and i can always get another.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

they don't bother me - i choose my friends wisely and if they are not a friend, i do not care what they say
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

When people ? why I have a Custom number plate that sets me back $400 per annum I always say that I blow your yearly booze and smoke budget in one hit and that it is my vice so STFU and accept it!
Old 25-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Meh.. I cop it all the time...
Doesn't bother me what they say about modifying cars..
When I open the garage door, I am happy..!
You know what I mean..?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I depends whether you do the modification for personal satisfaction or to win admiration from others.
Only the person spending the money can truly answer that question honestly...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
first up should probably explain what this is. They are the people who have no respect for other peoples cars (or their own for that matter), and simply view a car as a tool to get from place A to place B.

Just curious if other people on here that modify their car's get people saying its a waste of time an you should just drive it blah blah blah? Had a friend of a friend lastnite carryon saying its stupid and a waste of money, then when i asked what his hobby was he said making models. When i pointed out at least i can sit in mine and take it places the discussion turned interesting.

Do you get people who say its a waste of money and it stupid when they themselves waste money on hobbies that's not goin to make them any money but think its different?

What would you say about me then? I enjoy modifying cars and I enjoy building models.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh i have no problem with what ever hobby a person has, its a very healthy thing to do. just shats me when people just dismiss other peoples hobbies
Old 25-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO
Meh.. I cop it all the time...
Doesn't bother me what they say about modifying cars..
When I open the garage door, I am happy..!
You know what I mean..?
Same here although both my cars live out in the weather :(

I cop a lot for how much I've spent on the EA. The fact is though, it's my first car and will be my only ever "first car" so it has a lot of sentimental value. It's been a fantastic old girl over the years, and while it's looking a bit tired and worn out, I'm aiming to get it like new again. I'll never get the money back, but that's not what this is about. It's about looking after a car that's really looked after me.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
It seems to be all in their favour until you comment on their $5k on a NAS box (Computer storage device that holds large amounts of data) or $10k on a camera lens, and start pointing out how 'unnecessary' it is as they are not 'professional photographers' or 'system admins'.
At my other work we just spent $22,000 on some equipment to do a job I was doing with 3 DVD recorders for the last 5 years, lol.

I don't care about paint and panel on my cars, because i'm going to park it in the supermarket and soccer mum in her land cruiser is going to smash the crap out of it. It travels on crappy and dirt roads, so I reluctantly washed it for the first time last week since ownership back in Feb. I was filling it up the other day and the diesel pump didnt trigger off and it spilt diesel all over the side of the car, I can't be bothered cleaning it off, I've got diesel on my floor mats from the diesel puddle i stood in and in the interior from not using gloves when filling up.

I don't particularily care about the looks of my car really.

Its just a car to me, I plan on doing a few performance mods but thats about it.

But I'm very concerned about the $600 worth of spotlights on it and I try to park facing walls, or in corners where its harder for some ****** with a spanner and side cutters to take them.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 25-06-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #20
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's interesting Big Damo, I've given up as well when it comes to scratches and dents, the supermarket seems to be like a boxing ring for cars, and soccer mums are like the Muhammad Ali of the carparks.

I like keeping her clean as it hides them, however after living rural for a while I completely understand you don't want to wash it!

What I still don't get is if you simply like getting from A2B then you're not into cars and should be banned from driving them. Yet I have female friends who don't get the obsession of 'doing up' cars, yet love driving their factory car from A2B. Are they any less of an enthusiast than we are? They still appreciate our cars however, so what qualifies an A2B driver?

Do they need to drive a 92 corolla hatch back with the clear coat peeling off? Do they need to lecture everyone on how cars are "only a mode of transport" and how "stupid" it all is? Do they need to drive a Prius and yell at the sparkling cammed GT at the lights for destroying the ozone layer?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
It's interesting Big Damo, I've given up as well when it comes to scratches and dents, the supermarket seems to be like a boxing ring for cars, and soccer mums are like the Muhammad Ali of the carparks.

I like keeping her clean as it hides them, however after living rural for a while I completely understand you don't want to wash it!

What I still don't get is if you simply like getting from A2B then you're not into cars and should be banned from driving them. Yet I have female friends who don't get the obsession of 'doing up' cars, yet love driving their factory car from A2B. Are they any less of an enthusiast than we are? They still appreciate our cars however, so what qualifies an A2B driver?

Do they need to drive a 92 corolla hatch back with the clear coat peeling off? Do they need to lecture everyone on how cars are "only a mode of transport" and how "stupid" it all is? Do they need to drive a Prius and yell at the sparkling cammed GT at the lights for destroying the ozone layer?
man my sister has always shook her head and lol'd about me and my big loud smelly car thing i got goin on... couple years back off she went and spent $10k on a minta '70ish fiat 500.. be damned my sister IS a car chick just not the big smelly ones...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #22
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Depends on the person, I myself have a "A to B" car, its a shitter 93 lancer, she gets 600 ks to a $50 tank and she keep me warm and dry when its nessecary, then i have my landcruser, shes got the 350 Chev, and no heating or roof and will go anywhere but youll pay for it, then the bike, cheap as chips to run, but cold and wet when the the weather is nasty.

different strokes for different folks, for me its different strokes depending ont he day/ weahter.

i have doen the show car sort of thing, and anyone only needs to search the b-series forum for my old 84RGE to know how pedantic i was, but that car tought me a thing or two, potholes are rediculous, accidents happen, and other people dotn care about your car, hence i now have the bike to go fast, the crusier to get dirty, and the lancer for the shops, i can have my cake... and eat it too
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #23
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

How can people give an opinion on things that they know nothing about. What might be a waste to them is for some people a reason to live. We need more open minded people who accept that not everyone is exactly the same.
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They don't really drive me mad unless they are all in your face about it.

Then again, without owners like them, I wouldn't have got my '82 Celica...one older female owner, absolutely no modifications at all, 80,000km on the clock, always garaged, serviced regularly only by Toyota from new, literally like a new car when I bought it three years back!!

They're a great source of future well-looked after non-modified cars!! For example, the other day I saw an old WRX, the first model, in blue with the original gold coloured mags, standard ride height, standard looking exhaust, totally unmolested, older guy driving it. Imagine what that would be worth compared to the bodgy, haphazardly-modified, thrashed versions tottering around the back streets...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #25
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know my cars and bikes are a waste of money .. But not of time. It's my passion, and passion is something I think everyone needs in life. Most people who bag car enthusiasts have no passion in life .. They go to work, spend money at shopping centers, watch TV .. That's it. What a waste of a life .. I'd rather waste my time and money on cars (and bikes).
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #26
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Most people who bag car enthusiasts have no passion in life .. They go to work, spend money at shopping centers, watch TV .. That's it. What a waste of a life .. I'd rather waste my time and money on cars (and bikes).
i am sure they have passion for things, just different things to us. as long as they enjoy it and it doesn't harm anyone, then good luck to them
Old 26-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #27
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i am sure they have passion for things, just different things to us. as long as they enjoy it and it doesn't harm anyone, then good luck to them
couldn't agree more my problem is when people Dont view mine/or love and passion for cars being worth having as a hobby
Old 26-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #28
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
couldn't agree more my problem is when people Dont view mine/or love and passion for cars being worth having as a hobby
i understand, but should their opinion really matter
Old 26-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #29
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i understand, but should their opinion really matter
It shouldn't but a lot of people let other's opinions get to them. The truth is, most people are far too wrapped up in their own sad lives to really care about whether you spend your money on extractors or not.
Old 26-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #30
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep if they have a passion in life, good on them. Even if I'm not interested in whatever it is, I'm happy to see people enthusiastic about "something" .. Happy to meet strangers at a party and have them tell you about something "interesting" to them .. Bonus if it's about cars!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post