Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 19-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Cammyron
Starter Motor

Default MB Titanium TDCi vs MB MY11

Hi All,

Ater much delaying we are going to finally bite the bullet and buy a Titanim hatch. I test drove the MB a while ago (and was very impressed) and there are some well priced used ones out there.

In your opinion though is it worth spending a bit more to get the upgraded engine/transmission of the MB MY11/MC? I can say i felt the MB i test drove really lacking in the power but the upgrade does come with improved efficency and a smoother ride.

We don't drive that much so the improved efficiency is not that important, and most of our driving is either inner city or open highway.

Thanks

Cammyron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MB Titanium TDCi vs MB MY11

mine is an XR5, but i do remember taking the deisel titanium for a drive and it was good. it was equal to the VW deisel in the passat and passat CC, that is for sure and if you're that way inclined, you can buy a flash tune to improve power and torque figures...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Cammyron
Starter Motor

Thanks. Has anyone driven boththe MB diesel with and without pthe powershift upgrade?
Old 19-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the difference between the Aisin Warner & the Powershift is subjective I couldn't pick the difference at times the PS was confused in downshifting and rather clunky,in its defense it needs a few more years to develop and iron out the minor problems,but must admit the AW does feel like an ZF in its operation a slick performer love to have their upgraded transmission that was design for the 2.2l diesel engine

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Cammyron
Starter Motor

Thanks Apstar. Was there any great difference in the performace? Doesn;t the MY11 upgrade have a more powerful engine?
Old 19-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive driven an MC with the powershift and all I can say is lag lag lag.. Especially off the mark. I would not buy one for that reason, other diesel Autos like the Territory smash it off the mark.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would go with the auto if you're doing city driving. I haven't driven a Powershift yet, but the VW DSG can be a mission to drive in stop/start traffic. And as for parallel parking on a hill - forget it!

The Powershift / DSG doesn't have a torque converter and uses a clutch to start the car moving like you would in a manual. Except the box controls the clutch, not you.
Old 20-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NZ XR6

Agree with you re VW woeful on any hill,when I borrowed my son VW I had so many horns blown at me thinking I was going to back into them. My son told me he now puts it in sports mode and the problem is not that bad

apstar
Old 20-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammyron
Thanks Apstar. Was there any great difference in the performace? Doesn;t the MY11 upgrade have a more powerful engine?
Yes they are more powerful engine 120Kw versus my MA 96Kw but the torque is almost the same yeah slightly more pick up from traffic lights but once up and going I didn't notice any difference there are so many cars now in this segment Ford needs to keep the Mondeo up to date drove the new Pug 508 GT with the 2.2L Ford diesel that Ford won't give us here on the Mondeo

apstar
Old 20-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Cammyron
Starter Motor

Once again, thanks Apstar. Looks like i will be out shopping for Mondeos on the weekend then

Does anyone know of anythign i should be looking out for. Everything i have looked at still has some new car warrantly left on it so i don;t feel too stressed.
Old 20-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammyron
Does anyone know of anythign i should be looking out for. Everything i have looked at still has some new car warrantly left on it so i don;t feel too stressed.
My only comment would be to make sure that you want the sports suspension of the Titanium - I'd suggest driving both a Zetec and Titanium if you can. I think the Mondeo looks better in dark colours, but a white Titanium looks impressive.

I'm sure there will be a dealer out there with a late model Mondeo that they really want to sell - good luck.
Old 20-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ive driven an MC with the powershift and all I can say is lag lag lag.. Especially off the mark. I would not buy one for that reason, other diesel Autos like the Territory smash it off the mark.
There's an ecu update that helps a lot with that, along with a problem of not wanting to move after slowing down for an intersection without coming to a complete stop.

The dealers can apply it but I'm not sure what build date would come with that version already installed.
Old 20-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah when looking at performance people tend to look at the engine only I test drove a 5 Series BMW with the 8 speed ZF auto salesman took over to show me and was able to go from 8th to 2nd in an instant bloody brilliant and I didn't even knew it did it until I looked at the display, he said "try doing that with a double clutch auto"

apstar
Old 26-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
gh172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allusion
There's an ecu update that helps a lot with that, along with a problem of not wanting to move after slowing down for an intersection without coming to a complete stop.

The dealers can apply it but I'm not sure what build date would come with that version already installed.
When did this update become available? Still got ages to go before a service, is it worth taking it in just for this?
Old 27-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Yeah when looking at performance people tend to look at the engine only I test drove a 5 Series BMW with the 8 speed ZF auto salesman took over to show me and was able to go from 8th to 2nd in an instant bloody brilliant and I didn't even knew it did it until I looked at the display, he said "try doing that with a double clutch auto"

apstar
Yeah he has a point as a Powershift / DSG can only change directly to half of the gears. But who needs 8 gears??? It's just a game of one-upmanship by ZF - you show me your 6-speed DSG and I'll raise you 2 gears.

The Aisin auto in the MB Mondeo can do the same trick - put it in Sports mode, kick down at about 90 in 6th and it will drop straight into 3rd.
Old 27-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh172
When did this update become available? Still got ages to go before a service, is it worth taking it in just for this?
April/May ish I think. It takes about 20 minutes to update.