Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Dustin_80

Default testing of brakes during rwc

How exactly does a mechanic test your brakes during a rw test?

I got my car back after a roadworthy test to find my rear brakes were locking up so badly I had to get the vehicle towed home.

As politely as possible I explained there's no way I could have gotten it there that morning if it was like that when it arrived.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: testing of brakes during rwc

They use a brake tester and check using moderate to firm braking I believe, the tester should give a print out of the results, well in vic that's what is expected

Off topic from reading your sig

I used to play competition paintball myself a while back

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=ratter]They use a brake tester and check using moderate to firm braking I believe, the tester should give a print out of the results, well in vic that's what is expected

That's how it's done in nsw too., up here in qld, it's just see if they work.
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
fmc351
let it burn

[QUOTE=fasty73]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
They use a brake tester and check using moderate to firm braking I believe, the tester should give a print out of the results, well in vic that's what is expected

That's how it's done in nsw too., up here in qld, it's just see if they work.
Not quite so for Qld, but in practice seems to be pretty much it. I had one mech who hopped in the passenger side with a doohickey (kind of shaped like Dalek (in b4 Ricksta)) he sat on the floor at his feet and he asked me to brake while driving. It had a disc/ball floating in liquid that gave a reading based on angle to apportion braking front to rear. Only time Ive had anything like it in quite a few RWC's Ive had done.

They often pull a wheel off and inspect pads and rotor, but sometimes they just look while on the hoist without removing a wheel.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
ray38l

I often wonder why they worry about the brake test. I have had a few cars pass the brake test when the brakes were hardly working.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
matty88

Did the rwc tester adjust the handbrake at all?
matty88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
I often wonder why they worry about the brake test. I have had a few cars pass the brake test when the brakes were hardly working.
Yep you can get anything to pass if you jump on the pedal hard enough unless there's a fault in the braking system. Probably why we do the test.. As long as they work, disc's aren't undersize and there's meat on the pads - it's all gravy.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Dustin_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty88
Did the rwc tester adjust the handbrake at all?
I asked them if they adjusted them in any fashion or removed the drums.
They said they didn't.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

In NSW they have a small machine that sits on the front passenger seat & a pressure pad that goes over the brake pedal. They drive along a short distance usually only at about 40kph & hit the brakes, the machine records the G force, pedal pressure & time taken from initial pedal push to stop. If it's within certain pre-set guidelines the test passes & the report will be printed out off the machine, (similar to dyno graphs). If the test passes & there's nothing else wrong with the car (that makes them go looking), very rarely will wheels be removed, brakes visually looked at or any adjustments made.

The same machines used to have light sensors on them & they were used to do the "legal" window tint test, most mechanics I seen, used to just place it on the front windscreen if you had side tinted windows so it'd pass. There's still a legal tint level, but it doesn't have to be tested to pass for rego, if you get a defect on your car, it'll likely be tested when the RTA goes over the car though.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_80
How exactly does a mechanic test your brakes during a rw test?

I got my car back after a roadworthy test to find my rear brakes were locking up so badly I had to get the vehicle towed home.

As politely as possible I explained there's no way I could have gotten it there that morning if it was like that when it arrived.
What sort of car ?
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post