Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default How much for a new Key??

Well I just had a call from Power Ford at Castlehill. Its going to cost me $500 to have a new key cut for my AUII. The old key was damaged and tricked the smart shield to lock. I have no idea what happened to the old key.
Is this a 'normal' price?

UK

How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How much for a new Key??

it's up there but about average....my wife's old K.A. new key cost $350

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
4ford

Call them back and get a breakdown (forgive the pun!) of the costs involved in getting a new key 'cut'.

When I originally bought my AUII, they only provided one key so I had to get another.
What I did was buy the virgin key from the Ford dealer, take the old key and get the new one cut at your local hardware store (like any other key), then return to the car and get the new key coded into your car!

All I'm saying is that the dealer may be charging you for something that you can get done yourself for much less, as they usually do!

Ask them about doing that, they should advise you the best (read cheapest) way to get this done.

Cheers, 4ford
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm waiting to see what got damaged on the original key. I thought it was solid
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sounds like the transponder inside the key failed.

From memory you can relearn new transponders ... but need both working keys.

Otherwise it's a case of Ford coding keys ... but you can buy blanks on eBay and get a reputable locksmith to cut the Tibbe keys for you at a much cheaper rate than Ford.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-F...item3cbee10586
Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Will this key (on ebay ^^^) work in an AUII?

Well the cars back. This is what went wrong

I found this in the car. Will this still work?

UK
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The transponder in the key head ... if near the barrel should let it work.

I actually have never set eyes on the internal transponder myself.
You could do a dodgy and tape the transponder to the ignition barrel .... but them it will never be immobilised I guess. But it should get you out of trouble in the meantime.

It could also allow you to recode your own cut keys yourself. Check the owners manual ... it should be near the section where it tells you how to code new remotes.

I am going through a similar process for the Territory ... as I am thinking of going new flip keys as my original remotes are dying/dead.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Will this key (on ebay ^^^) work in an AUII?

UK
Unsure but it would be worth a phonecall, Bayford are very helpful.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Thanks for the ideas guys. I will take the key back tomorrow to see what the Ford boys say. I don't want the 'kill' the car again and payout more $$$

UK
Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will take the key back tomorrow to see what the Ford boys say. I don't want the 'kill' the car again and payout more $$$

UK
If you do need to take it to a Ford dealer, Brad Garlick at Ryde are much nicer to deal with and were more reasonable on price. Power Ford wanted to charge me nearly 3x the price for an ECU swap all items supplied, Brad Garlick gave a much better price and quicker turnaround time.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride
If you do need to take it to a Ford dealer, Brad Garlick at Ryde are much nicer to deal with and were more reasonable on price. Power Ford wanted to charge me nearly 3x the price for an ECU swap all items supplied, Brad Garlick gave a much better price and quicker turnaround time.

Just got back. They can recode my original key and it will only cost me another $132

UK
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Ride have you got much left of your AUII?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Ride have you got much left of your AUII?
Still got little bits and pieces such as the Fairmont dash, tickford 17's etc. If there's something you're after let check my thread to see the sold stuff, and let me know if you want a part that wasnt listed.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post