Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 19-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Crapi
Starter Motor

Post Quickest "real" street Ford.

What is the quickest "real" street ford in aust?

"Real" street as in all steel bodied, full interior, all glass, full trim, radial tyred, rego engineered, etc, etc.

Crapi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

The quickest full weight falcon I know of is the Dandy xw,
won the true street class at calder not long ago,full exhaust/pump fuel/street radials,running a 9.7 or 9.8 at 139mph,they met at a police station,and drove to the track from there as per rules.
But there could possibly be some chicken coupe light weight capri or similar out there running quicker.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Crapi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
The quickest full weight falcon I know of is the Dandy xw,
won the true street class at calder not long ago,full exhaust/pump fuel/street radials,running a 9.7 or 9.8 at 139mph,they met at a police station,and drove to the track from there as per rules.
But there could possibly be some chicken coupe light weight capri or similar out there running quicker.
Ha Ha, why do you call them "chicken coupe"?

Thats a pretty stout time for a big xw, i assume its NA? Well i know my chicken coupe runs quicker than that, and your right it is just a wee bit lighter than an XW.
Old 21-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Crapi
Starter Motor

That F6 is moving there spoolman. Is that your beast?
Old 21-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapi
That F6 is moving there spoolman. Is that your beast?
Nope mine is a little slower than that one, 10.9@129mph the owner is CSV_LS1 (Mauz) he also has the best time driving my car 11.1@132mph.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #6
Crapi
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Nope mine is a little slower than that one, 10.9@129mph the owner is CSV_LS1 (Mauz) he also has the best time driving my car 11.1@132mph.
What transmission do you run in yours spoolman? You carry a higher mph but dont seem to be hitting it out of the hole as hard.

It isnt too far off the pace of the yellow one! Power is obviously there, maybe the treads?
Old 26-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan

Spoolman was kind enough to take me for a drive in his F6 today, my introduction to a warmed over turbo was quite an eye opener, these cars are seriously fast, it sucked me back in the seat like only a worked Cleveland has done before, very impressed.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Ha Ha, why do you call them "chicken coupe"?
Coz mine weighs 2 tonnes almost,im jelous
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What is the quickest "real" street ford in aust?

"Real" street as in all steel bodied, full interior, all glass, full trim, radial tyred, rego engineered, etc, etc.
Do you also mean fully road worthy, i.e would pass a proper inspection without issue? or just registered....

Old 20-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Would have to be Rob Bertolacci's XB hardtop up here . Driven to the track 8.86@155+ MPH Big Block Ford powered . That's my opinion though the XW mentioned is up there too..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
Would have to be Rob Bertolacci's XB hardtop up here . Driven to the track 8.86@155+ MPH Big Block Ford powered . That's my opinion though the XW mentioned is up there too..
That's fairly flying! Stroker / NA ?
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal
504 BBF stroker + nitrous + ET street radials..
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
Crapi
Starter Motor

Quote:
504 BBF stroker + nitrous + ET street radials..
Love your work, but as far as i know nitrous isnt a legal street deal. What does she run with out the devils on her? _2:
Old 21-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal
Radials , full exhaust AND electric windows !! If i could only get my XD drag car near the times of Rob,s STREET car i,d be happy ...................
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

Quote:
. That's my opinion though the XW mentioned is up there too..
That's not on radial tyres as per 1st post.

This one is, full bodied, street legal tyres, it also has a factory turbo & engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0SDTrNqin0

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Anything on N2O or any BA-BF that hasnt gone for an EPA test whilst on their "race tune" can't be classed as "real" street if you want the car to be able to pass inspection.

It'd either have to be on BP100/LPG to be classed as "real" street as well i suppose.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #17
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Anything on N2O or any BA-BF that hasnt gone for an EPA test whilst on their "race tune" can't be classed as "real" street if you want the car to be able to pass inspection.

It'd either have to be on BP100/LPG to be classed as "real" street as well i suppose.

Robs car falls under the first post rules though, everything about that car is legal, he bolts in the bottle at the track were N2O is legal runs the car and then unbolts the bottle and drives it home in full street legal and engineered trim..

there is no doubting that car is one of the quickest real streetcars in OZ..

it's even a pump fuel deal as far as i'm aware unless he's changed something from when i spoke with him..

even off the bottle that car would still be a contender
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #18
old_mate
Smash the Boost

i thought in Qld you were not even allowed to run the nitrous pluming on the street, bottle or not.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

I think the only way to decide the true "quickest real street car" would to hold some thing like the 'power tour' in the states.
Couple of tracks over a few days etc.. I'm sure you all know how it works..

If there was an Oz version, I wonder how many would turn up?
Old 22-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
I think the only way to decide the true "quickest real street car" would to hold some thing like the 'power tour' in the states.

About 500 cop cars with their defect notices handy... :P
Old 22-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #21
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:

I'd be there - Don't know how it would go in Australia with vehicle requirements and police issues, but those guys who do the Power Tour are champions - 8 second Camaros driving 200 miles in a day, towing trailers with slicks and fuel and tools... Awesome.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #22
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Don't know how it would go in Australia with vehicle requirements and police issues
Thats the thing, there's too many variables to decide something like the quickest street car in Oz. Everywhere has different rules.
Then theres all the bickering that goes on in the drag scene. You'll be hard pressed to make rules that everybody (or even the majority) are happy with.

Just look at the Pro street classes, they run different rules in Qld to everywhere else...
Old 22-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Thats the thing, there's too many variables to decide something like the quickest street car in Oz. Everywhere has different rules.
Then theres all the bickering that goes on in the drag scene. You'll be hard pressed to make rules that everybody (or even the majority) are happy with.

Just look at the Pro street classes, they run different rules in Qld to everywhere else...
Well, we're a bit different up here...

The term "street" is a pet problem of mine - I can't think of a single "Pro Street" car that should be anywhere near the street. "Street Machine" magazine is full of cars that touch pavement once every 12 months, while moving on and off trailers.

I also note with amusement the "street" cars with spotless engine bays and no inner guards ("I drive it all the time!" pfft!), street cars with ice-filled intercoolers (although i guess you can get ice at servos too), street cars with front runners etc...

SM is also full of heroes with roof-height 8/71s who think (possibly claim to think) that they have "street" cars because they took the thing for a 20 minute burn around the western suburbs and didn't get caught.

Obviously, rego/roadworthy requirements are pretty flexible and often enforcement varies - I know people who drive cars with motors out the bonnet all the time and never have trouble, same as I know people with fairly standard cars who have cops waiting at the end of their driveway for them every Friday night.

We could argue about this for years on end, but for the record, my definition of a "street" car is that it doesn't necessarily have to conform to the letter of the law, but it needs to be able to drive through town on a Friday night without being pulled over, it needs to run on pump fuel (that's the 98 octane stuff that comes from commercial servos, unlike the "pump" fuel that dyno cars seem to run on), it needs to be able to sit in traffic on a hot day without blowing the heads off, and it needs to be able to be driven in busting-down rain.

AND MORE!: Real street cars do not have 20 litre fuel cells. If you have to stop at EVERY servo between where you are and where you're going, you don't have a car, you have a Pepsi delivery truck.

The end.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose

Last edited by GreenMachine; 22-04-2008 at 04:31 PM.
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #24
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:

The term "street" is a pet problem of mine - I can't think of a single "Pro Street" car that should be anywhere near the street. "Street Machine" magazine is full of cars that touch pavement once every 12 months, while moving on and off trailers.

I also note with amusement the "street" cars with spotless engine bays and no inner guards ("I drive it all the time!" pfft!), street cars with ice-filled intercoolers (although i guess you can get ice at servos too), street cars with front runners etc...

SM is also full of heroes with roof-height 8/71s who think (possibly claim to think) that they have "street" cars because they took the thing for a 20 minute burn around the western suburbs and didn't get caught.

Obviously, rego/roadworthy requirements are pretty flexible and often enforcement varies - I know people who drive cars with motors out the bonnet all the time and never have trouble, same as I know people with fairly standard cars who have cops waiting at the end of their driveway for them every Friday night.

We could argue about this for years on end, but for the record, my definition of a "street" car is that it doesn't necessarily have to conform to the letter of the law, but it needs to be able to drive through town on a Friday night without being pulled over, it needs to run on pump fuel (that's the 98 octane stuff that comes from commercial servos, unlike the "pump" fuel that dyno cars seem to run on), it needs to be able to sit in traffic on a hot day without blowing the heads off, and it needs to be able to be driven in busting-down rain.

AND MORE!: Real street cars do not have 20 litre fuel cells. If you have to stop at EVERY servo between where you are and where you're going, you don't have a car, you have a Pepsi delivery truck.

The end.
I agree and robs car ts every term you have put to paper, bar his N2O setup for track use it's as much a street car as you will get once that N20 is removed she's a genuine streeter running pump gas driven to the track and home and driven on the streets ALL the time
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #25
Crapi
Starter Motor

Quote:

The end.
You do have a lot of valid points there greenmachine! And after reading your post i think that i match the criteria that you propose as being a street car except for a few small things.
I have an ice cooled intercooler that only gets filled at the track, i run seven psig on the street and dont need to keep it that cool. I have front runners but dont seem to have any issues except for going at speed through tight corners/round abouts, just doesnt happen! I do have a fuel cell but mine is 50l and will last for about five hours of cruising around town, im talking 50-60kmh plus the occasional small squirt.
Other than that its pretty legite. My car has run a flat nine at 153mph on a 235 radial tyre, on pump gas, standard suspension(with caltracks), full interior, all glass, all steel bodied, no nitrous, untubbed and every thing works-wipers, lights, window washers, horn. Its all there!
Yep...ok not to the letter of the law on every thing, and I totally agree with that. I do drive it to the track which is about an hour from me and have driven it in the rain on a number of occasions, but not through choice. It reguarly sees street duties and gets driven on average 2-3 times a week.
Oh...and it has been in street machine and zoom magazines. :

I guess I might be up there? Who else has some thing quick? Come on lads lets hear about them! :1syellow1
Old 22-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #26
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

Only the ones with gear vendors over drives...

Greenmachine you made some valid points.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
FLUB378

Bar the N2O Rob's coupe is 100% street legal, only in November he had police check the car and find nothing wrong. Yes he puts the bottle in at the track, but he drives a 120km round trip, has now run a 8.75 or radials tyres then drives home after the chute and bottles are removed. Note: 100% street legal. As a side note: Is his car not "street legal trim" because he fits a parachute at the track, which isn't alowed on the street?
FLUB378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #28
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

lets ask this guy

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #29
Gammaboy