Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 17-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Angry Why does the Falcon struggle to sell?

Because it has become popular amongst the Australian population to sh!tcan the Falcon and all those who associate with it. Here is just one recent example:

http://macrobusiness.com.au/2011/06/...bility-crisis/

Old 17-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
xls3v

Default Re: Why does the Falcon struggle to sell?

holden do better corporate deals most sales are corp ones
Old 17-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Falcman0o7
Banned

Shocking aint it :( Most of the aus public are sooo brainwashed IMO it's not funny.
Ford don't get there product out there enough but i hear good things are coming....I HOPE!!!!
Old 17-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Falcman0o7
Banned

And yes, Alot of people ( mostly the young ones ) dare not say they like a ford! oh no! they may get bashed....Best to like holdens then.

It's pathetic.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
HaLLiS

honestly, wtf was that crap? According to this blogger all falcons and their owners are bogans.... Yea good one
Old 17-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
And yes, Alot of people ( mostly the young ones ) dare not say they like a ford! oh no! they may get bashed....Best to like holdens then.

It's pathetic.
I could have bought a Falcon.....

Seriously though how many threads do we need on the falcon not selling, not good enough etc.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 17-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Lol, Right's to free speach is being well exercised. Build a car that appeals to the target demograqhic, or don't make cars at all. Holden's greater sales demonstrate greater consumer satisfaction with the product.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

replied just then.. -"MATT".. Swipe at the media/and FG-VE ownage..
Old 17-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im kinda lost as to the references to "Ford" bogans???
More then ever nowadays (and it sounds like a cliche`) but bogans prefer commodores as their weapon of choice. Yes you see hooing carried out in Falcons, but the majority of the younger generation buy commodores.
I have a workmate and a female friend who both own commodore utes and they too say they own "bogan mobiles".

Ford markets its Falcon to the more mature aussie (yes we rarely see ads on TV though and its overall marketing is poor or non-existant).

I see the lack of sales probably/ because the more mature Falcon owner tends to keep his Falcon longer, where as the younger male will tend to buy a new car more often?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 17-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt this guy could even do the most basic maintenance on what ever he drives... being SOOOO smart and all lol! Would love to see him say all this in the crowd at Bathhurst too ... Ouch!
Old 17-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Because they're not 'cool' like an X-trail
Because they're 'gas guzzlers'
Because they're 'for bogans'
Because they're taxis
Because they're 'boring old man cars'
Because they're 'always going back for warranty claims'
Because 'fords are gay'

And every time I come across someone who tells me these reasons they own something like a Cruze or a Mirage or something completely terrible that won't make it to 200k kms
Old 17-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
Rodge
Banned

3 Years, two months and counting is too long between updates, seriously when was the last time Falcon's went more than three years without even a facelift ?
Old 17-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
Fatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Because they're not 'cool' like an X-trail
Because they're 'gas guzzlers'
Because they're 'for bogans'
Because they're taxis
Because they're 'boring old man cars'
Because they're 'always going back for warranty claims'
Because 'fords are gay'

And every time I come across someone who tells me these reasons they own something like a Cruze or a Mirage or something completely terrible that won't make it to 200k kms
my old mans boss is a Taxi owner and they dont run "Commodores cause THEY DON'T LAST compared to the Falcon... Ok Ford may be seen as a bogan car but atleast they can run for 900000kms on the same engine if maintained by simple things like changing the oil and flush the water regularly.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Meh, it's a blog. My opinion > your opinion.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 17-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty
my old mans boss is a Taxi owner and they dont run "Commodores cause THEY DON'T LAST compared to the Falcon... Ok Ford may be seen as a bogan car but atleast they can run for 900000kms on the same engine if maintained by simple things like changing the oil and flush the water regularly.
Quite right. The only reason I own a ford is because they are taxis.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #16
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon its cause they are too well made,people see old falcons getting round and call em an old crapp heaps but they dont realise they have have out lasted the other brands by many years.how many xd to xf falcons do you still see getting around to other brands that are that old?there are still quite a few out here and i have had people say to me my new car will outlast your old clunker but then i say well your toyota has to last another 40 years and thats if i stop driving mine today,i dont think so,your new car will be a recycled tv dinner box in another 5 years.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I could have bought a Falcon.....

Seriously though how many threads do we need on the falcon not selling, not good enough etc.
This thread isn't about the Falcon not selling well. It is about the poor opinion/attitude of the general population as demonstrated in a blog dedicated to economic issues.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
This thread isn't about the Falcon not selling well. It is about the poor opinion/attitude of the general population as demonstrated in a blog dedicated to economic issues.
So its just another reason its not selling...
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 17-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #19
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
So its just another reason its not selling...
The other thread is dedicated to discussing the product and its perceived shortcomings. This post was to discuss the whims of the general population hence why I thought it needed a separate thread.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Ford markets its Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty
Seriously, who gives a crap if the I6 lasts over eleventy billion kilometers on the same engine, besides Taxi operators, who owns a car for that long? I don't plan on owning my current car past 100,000km depending on what I want to do in the near future.

Going by sales figures, not too many people care about the longevity, theres more to a car than just its reliable.

Ford has a bad reputation, its hard to get rid of bad perceptions but very easy to earn one.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-06-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #21
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Marketing, pure and simple. We all know the negative stereotypes, it's up to Ford to put the myths to bed with some honest marketing. I love my FGXR6, and when people drive it their first comment is how good it is. Ford need to kill GM with some positive advertising. Holden are still flogging VE Holdens on TV as though they're just been released.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #22
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Im kinda lost as to the references to "Ford" bogans???
More then ever nowadays (and it sounds like a cliche`) but bogans prefer commodores as their weapon of choice. Yes you see hooing carried out in Falcons, but the majority of the younger generation buy commodores.
I have a workmate and a female friend who both own commodore utes and they too say they own "bogan mobiles".

Ford markets its Falcon to the more mature aussie (yes we rarely see ads on TV though and its overall marketing is poor or non-existant).

I see the lack of sales probably/ because the more mature Falcon owner tends to keep his Falcon longer, where as the younger male will tend to buy a new car more often?
so young people are bogans?

I see alot of bogans driving fords. Mostly they are driving xy gtho replica's. They are normally wearing thongs, old jeans, flanno shirt with a packet of winnie blues in there pocket and the mandatory mullet. They constantly tell anyone they can how awesome the xy's are and how nothing can beat it.
One difference between holden and ford fans is that ford fans love dwelling on what ford have done in the past, whereas holden fans are liking what is on sale now.
Old 17-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
Ford need to kill GM with some positive advertising.
This is another mindset that Ford and its enthusiasts need to start backing away from. GM may have been Ford's 'traditional' enemy, but the playing field is different now. The aim of the game (in terms of Ford's global renaissance) is stealing sales from Toyota and Hyundai, et al. Beating Holden at anything, for all intents and purposes, means little.

Getting back to the subject matter of the thread, it is not that the Falcon is a truly awful car, its that the rest of the market has a better or more appealing offering. Couple that with poor marketing and it's little wonder the car sells in the volumes that it does.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 17-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with out to much of a beat up i generally believe they just didn't get the styling right . I just don't think visually the made it attractive enough.
Yes i seen some nice examples most modified or out of the general populations budget .
An the other thing that makes me think this . Is i employed a pommie he started work for me the day after his plane landed . An he is already a Holden boy despite my best efforts . I was in the car the first time he saw a ve ss and all he said was "Look at that , Look at that , that is one bad boy that thing looks seriously fast "

The only positive i have heard from other people (Non Ford fans ) is that red gt on the fpv add is a awesome looking car . Or i want one of those
Old 17-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I happen to like falcons.

When I was a pimply faced youth I was holden through and through.
All my mates had holdens because holdens were as aussie as playschool.

My old man tried to get me to drive falcons.
What would he know?
Well he did run a motor vehicle factory.
And he did actually Australianise Jeep by fitting the falcon engine and sticking the steering wheel on the other side.
But apart from that what would he know.

My holden was great because I could work on it every weekend and I did work on it EVERY weekend.

So I bought a Falcon.
A shiny yellow XC panelvan.
I did over 250,000km in it in 1978.

I did another 200,000km and then bought a shiny XD.

Since then I have done a few more km in my XE-XF-EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU-BA, well actually quite a number of each and although some of them have been "interesting" all in all they have done the job, rather well actually.

I have driven over 250km/h, 13 second 400m, in 40cm deep flood water, in snow, in sand, in every state and territory of Australia, on race tracks, in mud past bogged 4WDs, on skidpans, on salt lakes and on the odd road or two as well.

Falcons just go places they don't care about "appropriate conditions" or "nanny state rules".

I am taking a falcon in this years variety bash.....again.

I like falcons......
Old 17-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Should get in you in to do some ad's for them Flappy - people would buy them left right and centre.

If I was in the market for a car, that would have sold me

As far as why Falcon struggles to sell - most people have a below average intelligence...obviously...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 18-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #27
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because it's too damn good: that's how.
Old 18-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #28
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did you read it properly henry ford born in 1922 and was 90 when the First falcon came out. I hope they were talking about 2 different Henry Ford's?
Old 18-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #29
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
with out to much of a beat up i generally believe they just didn't get the styling right . I just don't think visually the made it attractive enough.
Cant agree with that one ..... Most (all) the top sellers are boring A to B appliances on wheels. Toyota is number 1 ..... and their styling is just a tad ho hum I would think. The FG is one of the better looking cars out there .... epecially in the G series (still Falconish) while the XR6 is a very well balanced and is IMO very very visually attractive, then the FPV's

Maybe they made it too good looking and people prefer drab?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #30
robertjp

I do believe the media has painted the Falcon into the same corner as the Magna, and as such who want's to buy a model with an unknown future. The ball really dropped once Geoff left our shores, and it has taken to long to refocus. Whether this will be enough only time and sales will tell, Detroit will shed no tears (as will GMH "Wheels") if there is a demise of the Falcon.
Closed Thread