Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-06-2022, 09:32 AM   #721
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: The bakery thread

First time post in this thread

Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #722
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

faarrrk and gob like that this hour of the morning scary as .
just imagine one of his chicky babes had to face that taking the photo, bet she didnt finish her coffee.
Old 16-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #723
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Vegetarian pie from Victoria’s Rolling Pin Pies & Cakes named Australia’s best
The man who baked the pie said he was in ‘complete shock’ when his controversial creation took the top spot.

Australia’s best pie has been revealed after an expert judging panel taste-tested thousands of entries from across the country.

A vegetarian mushroom and truffle pie from Victoria’s Rolling Pin Pies & Cakes bakery came out on top at the 2022 Australia’s Best Pie & Pastie Competition.

The controversial creation contains three types of mushroom, herbs and a truffle filling wrapped in a golden flaky pastry crust, with no meat in sight.

Held by the Baking Association of Australia, the competition is the industry’s only recognised national pie and pastie competition.

Each year a panel of judges spends three days tasting baked goods over a number of categories including beef, vegetarian, mushroom and gourmet before selecting one pie as the overall winner.

It’s the second year in a row the Rolling Pin Pies & Cakes bakery, which has stores in Queenscliff, Leopold and South Geelong, has taken out the top award.

Last year its surf’n’turf pie containing chunky beef and prawns in a rich garlicky sauce was named the nation’s best pie.

Rolling Pin manager Nathan Williams told Sunrise he was left in “complete shock” after being awarded the top gong for his vego creation.

“It is definitely surprising that they would give it to a pie with no meat,” he told David Koch and Natalie Barr on Wednesday.

Williams said the secret behind the tasty pie was ”getting the right amount of truffle in there”.

“If you don’t put enough in you won’t taste it, but if you put too much in it can really take over the whole pie.”

He said the feedback from customers has been “amazing” with some even driving hours just to taste the baked treat.

In a funny twist, Williams admitted he doesn’t eat the pie himself “because I really don’t like mushrooms at all”.

FFS, What is the world coming to.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 11:45 AM   #724
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz
I agree. What message does this send to people who experience sensory overload? That truffle might bring on a meltdown. And emphasising “golden flaky pastry” is reinforcing the trope of a paternalistic white male “protector”.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 11:57 AM   #725
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I agree. What message does this send to people who experience sensory overload? That truffle might bring on a meltdown. And emphasising “golden flaky pastry” is reinforcing the trope of a paternalistic white male “protector”.
All I'm saying is, you want a pie, buy a pie, you want strange concoctions of bastardised pastries mixed with goofy ingredients because they, can go to a trendy modern pretend pub.

4 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #726
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I think that a pie doesn’t have to be made with (sometimes a poor excuse for) meat and gravy.The traditional pie will always have a market,but if someone can make something different and pick ip a few extra sales by doing so good on them.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #727
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I read some years back, that the number of “optarians” was increasing - people who might sometimes take a vegetarian meal but weren’t overall vegetarian. Stuff like the mushie pie would probably get them. Wasn’t really suggesting the bakery be picketed as a cancel culture exercise.
Old 16-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #728
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A vegetarian pie named #1.... I''m disgusted.
Will buy a chunky beef at lunch in protest.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #729
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Good. Had 2 myself this morning. Didn't need to go to a french or seafood restaurant to enjoy it.

Couldn't care less what places want to pedal, in their obsession for infusing ingredients. Just don't call it a pie.
Maybe next year they can open entries up to sandwich's that want to identify as pies.

2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2022, 07:00 PM   #730
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like a good chunky beef pie,but I can appreciate that times are changing in regard to dietary preferences,so if the judges felt the non meat pie was best so be it
Old 16-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #731
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Good. Had 2 myself this morning. Didn't need to go to a french or seafood restaurant to enjoy it.

Couldn't care less what places want to pedal, in their obsession for infusing ingredients. Just don't call it a pie.
Maybe next year they can open entries up to sandwich's that want to identify as pies.
A pie doesn’t have to have meat to be called a pie.Pies come with all different types of filling,some meat,some veg,some fruit and do on
Old 17-06-2022, 11:17 PM   #732
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #733
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Old 18-06-2022, 10:19 PM   #734
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Vegetarian pie from Victoria’s Rolling Pin Pies & Cakes named Australia’s best
The man who baked the pie said he was in ‘complete shock’ when his controversial creation took the top spot.

Australia’s best pie has been revealed after an expert judging panel taste-tested thousands of entries from across the country.

A vegetarian mushroom and truffle pie from Victoria’s Rolling Pin Pies & Cakes bakery came out on top at the 2022 Australia’s Best Pie & Pastie Competition.

The controversial creation contains three types of mushroom, herbs and a truffle filling wrapped in a golden flaky pastry crust, with no meat in sight.

Held by the Baking Association of Australia, the competition is the industry’s only recognised national pie and pastie competition.

Each year a panel of judges spends three days tasting baked goods over a number of categories including beef, vegetarian, mushroom and gourmet before selecting one pie as the overall winner.

It’s the second year in a row the Rolling Pin Pies & Cakes bakery, which has stores in Queenscliff, Leopold and South Geelong, has taken out the top award.

Last year its surf’n’turf pie containing chunky beef and prawns in a rich garlicky sauce was named the nation’s best pie.

Rolling Pin manager Nathan Williams told Sunrise he was left in “complete shock” after being awarded the top gong for his vego creation.

“It is definitely surprising that they would give it to a pie with no meat,” he told David Koch and Natalie Barr on Wednesday.

Williams said the secret behind the tasty pie was ”getting the right amount of truffle in there”.

“If you don’t put enough in you won’t taste it, but if you put too much in it can really take over the whole pie.”

He said the feedback from customers has been “amazing” with some even driving hours just to taste the baked treat.

In a funny twist, Williams admitted he doesn’t eat the pie himself “because I really don’t like mushrooms at all”.

missus likes the "surf n turf" pie ... AND there is only two shops .. Sth Geelong is the local Mitre 10 store [well it was locally owned once]. have had a pie from there [leopold & forgotten what it was...] which was 'ok' but didn't leave me feeling 'warm n ....' inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
Well I think that a pie doesn’t have to be made with (sometimes a poor excuse for) meat and gravy.The traditional pie will always have a market,but if someone can make something different and pick ip a few extra sales by doing so good on them.
my once favourite pie shop [in west geelong - think it's now a burger place? in pako] was blooody awesome for pies [of assorted types] ...... still havn't found one to match it 20 years later....................
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #735
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two blokes flew their helicopter into Blackbutt a couple of days ago. They promptly landed, made their way to the famous Blackbutt Bakery, picked up a couple of pies then flew out.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #736
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Two blokes flew their helicopter into Blackbutt a couple of days ago. They promptly landed, made their way to the famous Blackbutt Bakery, picked up a couple of pies then flew out.
Class act. Got their priorities right and probably a non rabbit food, proper MEAT pie.

Old 19-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #737
.:4:.
Kicking back

I think its the wording that is incorrect. Pie, well that could be a cow pie, as in what comes out of the rear end of a cow, a mince pie is one of those horrid fruit ones that pop up at every christmas lunch. A chicken pie has chicken in it, a vego pie sucks, and a meat pie has cow in it not its excriment.
Or thats how i like to differentiate pies. Not just 1 term fits all.
Personally im a meat pie person. Keep it simple, steak and onion, steak and mushroom.
My criteria for a good pie is simple. 2nd is quality filling. 1st is structural integrity as in the ability to eat with one hand and not mess your shirt. Any pie, or person that finds it necessary to use a knife and fork to consume. 100% not worthy.
So as not to be mega hypocritical, my all time favourite meat pie is the mexican pie from the skyline bakery in frenches forrest. It has a lot going on and looks confusing. But its kind of like a unicorn flying through a rainbow.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #738
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
my all time favourite meat pie is the mexican pie

Old 19-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #739
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
It's a baked burrito in pie form, so thread approved.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #740
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
It's a baked burrito in pie form, so thread approved.
But should it be.

Heard the latest coffee to win the "Best Brew Award" was a double decaf Caro skim chai latte for outstanding combination of every ingredients supplied.

Second was a baby hot chocolate that related to being a coffee of substance.

Old 20-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #741
marty351
Shenanigans..............

It is the "best brew award", so tea, beer and many other brewed beverage should be eligible too.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #742
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Old 21-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #743
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Cav. You need to update your profile picture.

Old 15-07-2022, 01:35 PM   #744
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

If anyone is passing through Coober Pedy, this place is well worth a try.

CK Bakery. It doesn't look much from the roadside but don't let that fool you.

They also have burgers, sandwiches, soups and many other choices.

I had a steak n mushroom pie. Nice crispy pastry and good depth of contents with a pleasant flavour.

Old 15-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #745
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Another vote for Gumtree pies at Yack. Love going out riding and stopping in on the way home.
Havnt been to Holbrook in ages.
Will be sure to try em out
Jebus been a while.

Went to Holbrook for a pie few months back.
Usual steak and mushroom.
Still as good as it was when i was a kid getting them (grandparents lived about 20mins away)
Then not long after dropped into Culcairn bakery, was ok but not as good as Holbrook
Both not as good as the local hot bake IMHO
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2022, 09:12 AM   #746
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Jebus been a while.

Went to Holbrook for a pie few months back.

Both not as good as the local hot bake IMHO
But they don't make triple 1/2 sandwiches like Holbrook.

Old 24-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #747
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Couple of crispy pastry snails. Bourke St Bakery at Barangaroo still going and still busy, though I did note smaller portions.

3 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #748
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Anyone been to The Baker at Sutton bakery? Thinking about stopping there on my way up to Bathurst this weekend. was a huge amount of people there a few years ago when I went up that way. Mixed reports lately after new management took over?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #749
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Couple of crispy pastry snails. Bourke St Bakery at Barangaroo still going and still busy, though I did note smaller portions.

Geez Rok,lucky you have a physical job,with all this bakery produce,otherwise you would need a bigger truck,just to fit in the cab
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2023, 10:33 PM   #750
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Where else would this picture belong? On special at Colesworths this week.
Vegan AND Kosher, too.