Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Price Matching

Apart from the shenanigans that go on, I don't understand why some businesses claim that they will Price-Match.

Recently I was buying a battery. Store A had them on special, but even though they had a price for the battery I wanted, did not have it in stock and needed to order it in.

Store B advertises that they will match a competitor's price. (Note: Match, not Beat.) So I asked them to match Store A's price.
They jumped on the computer, and told me that it didn't apply, because Store A didn't have it in stock.
Yes I said, why do you think I'm here?
So they explained that they would only price match if a local competing store had the same product in stock.

This may sound fair enough, but think about what they're actually proposing:
I'm at Store A, and can simply buy the product and take it home.
But instead, I should get back in my car and drive to Store B,
Where, After much mucking about, they MIGHT agree to sell it to me, for exactly the same price.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Price Matching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Apart from the shenanigans that go on, I don't understand why some businesses claim that they will Price-Match.

Recently I was buying a battery. Store A had them on special, but even though they had a price for the battery I wanted, did not have it in stock and needed to order it in.

Store B advertises that they will match a competitor's price. (Note: Match, not Beat.) So I asked them to match Store A's price.
They jumped on the computer, and told me that it didn't apply, because Store A didn't have it in stock.
So they explained that they would only price match if a local competing store had the same product in stock.

Where, After much mucking about, they MIGHT agree to sell it to me, for exactly the same price.
And they wonder why people shop online.
You would think the price match store could sell it to you for the that price simply out of goodwill.
Its this kind of thing people remember when dealing with retail stores and usually tell other about.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Department Fair trade might show some interest in that.worth contacting...after new year.
Old 22-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Decades ago, a mate started a pawnbroking shop. To gauge how he should address marginal issues, he pawned something mundane worth a few hundred at another shop (Aceben, from memory) and deliberately went back a couple of days late to redeem his pledge.

The proprietor looked at the ledger, looked him up and down, sighed and said “**** it, just pay us the agreed sum and take it”.

My mate applied this, the “**** it” factor to many transactions for the rest of his trading career (mostly as an importer of goods). The goodwill it generated often saw him retain customers when newer players were trying to build a market profile, and he was seldom short of a favour to call in, at a pinch.

It’s surprising this hasn’t been quantified (or fostered) more as a discretionary option for retailers.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
....some businesses claim that they will Price-Match ......
I use https://www.shopbot.com.au/ to compare prices before I go anywhere.
I do aim to support local but when the difference is significant, I have that conversation with the sales person and walk away.
Mr_G6ET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
hayseed

Quote:

Store B is run By Muppets...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

I'd say fair call on Store B. Supply and demand, you want it now, they have it.

If you want it at a cheaper price wait for store A to get it.

Or do what most people do, check prices before leaving home.
Old 22-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ultimately, they're counting on you paying the higher price because they have it in stock, and you can't wait. It's not an unreasonable position given how impatient shoppers have become in recent years, and are happy to pay above RRP to get something now rather than wait.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got knocked back on Price Match for an identical item because the lower priced item included a longer warranty

The guy spent ages trawling thru the advertised item's fine print looking for something of difference to their own product so he could reject my query. When he pointed that out, I had to explain that that made it even more of a reason to match the price as he was offering only a 1 year warranty compared to the cheaper item's 2 year warranty.
He didn't seem to understand
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

A couple of years back I had forgotten to bring some Feast and Watson Spar varnish back from $ydney, so decided to try my luck at the newly opened Bunnings in Wangaratta.
Not in the least expecting for them to stock it (so far from the sea) found it on the shelf.
Considering myself lucky enough to get it, I happen to mentioned it was usually cheaper at Whitworths chandlery in $ydney. Bunnings happily price matched it even though they knew it would be either 700km to $ydney or 300km to Melbourne for me to otherwise buy it.

Never liked the "Green Shed"people but I do ocassionally buy from this one.

2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #11
Honest Gaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

I agree, I think most stores indicate that it must be identical model and "in stock".
Honest Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2020, 11:37 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

That's not the issue.
My point was WHY they bother to advertise Price Matching?
When it's cheaper at store A, just buy it there. The only reason you would ever ask Store B to price match, is if you can't simply get it from A.
I suppose maybe if your car was off the road, and Store B was a shorter walk...
Old 22-12-2020, 11:49 PM   #13
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
A couple of years back I had forgotten to bring some Feast and Watson Spar varnish back from $ydney, so decided to try my luck at the newly opened Bunnings in Wangaratta.
Not in the least expecting for them to stock it (so far from the sea) found it on the shelf.
Considering myself lucky enough to get it, I happen to mentioned it was usually cheaper at Whitworths chandlery in $ydney. Bunnings happily price matched it even though they knew it would be either 700km to $ydney or 300km to Melbourne for me to otherwise buy it.

Never liked the "Green Shed"people but I do ocassionally buy from this one.
You should've ask for...

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2020, 01:55 AM   #14
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stores price match so you'll go there first confident that they must offer the best deals anyway. They just advertise it to gain customer confidence in order to become the customers first port of call.

They're not giving anything away for nothing, if they can get out of it with any excuse they will. It's just marketing! They're not your friend, they want you to be their friend!
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2020, 07:05 AM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
You should've ask for...

Yeah, but that offer wasn't around then.

Old 23-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
That's not the issue.
My point was WHY they bother to advertise Price Matching?
When it's cheaper at store A, just buy it there. The only reason you would ever ask Store B to price match, is if you can't simply get it from A.
I suppose maybe if your car was off the road, and Store B was a shorter walk...
Or perhaps store A is closed, or across the other side of town.
Old 23-12-2020, 11:44 AM   #17
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Store A could advertise an item at an unbelievably cheap price and never have any in stock, then Store B would have to match a made up price and sell at a big loss for an item that never really existed at Store A.
Old 23-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #18
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
Store A could advertise an item at an unbelievably cheap price and never have any in stock, then Store B would have to match a made up price and sell at a big loss for an item that never really existed at Store A.
This ^^^

Have 1 a day on offer, with the old retailer belief that once in the store you will by something else.

You didn't mention if the store in their published offer had conditions that said must be in stock. They would be dumb to not, and dumb to offer to price match on things another store cant supply.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
They do attach all sorts of conditions, including excluding clearance items, and loss-leaders.
In this case Store A had "20% off all Century 4wd Batteries." And since their starting price was a bit cheaper, the price difference was about $50-60.
My assumption is that if Store A can bite into their retail-margin, then so can Store B. Even if they had looked at it and said "ok the best we can do is $40 off", I would have been happy.