Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Wally
XP Coupe

Default GM End Of Year Financials

This should be interesting when it happens.

Quote:
From Beacon Journal wire services

General Motors Co. said it can't file an annual financial report by Wednesday, while working to finish valuing assets after emerging from bankruptcy last year.

A report on 2009 results will be completed within 15 days, spokeswoman Renee Rashid-Merem said. The annual data will be in what is called Form 10-K and filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Detroit-based GM disclosed the delay in an SEC filing.

''I don't think it raises a concern,'' said Dennis Virag, president of Automotive Consulting Group Inc. in Ann Arbor, Mich. ''I would think it's just some details they need to get through. I expect they will get to it very soon.''

General Motors Co. left a government-backed restructuring on July 10 after predecessor company General Motors Corp. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on June 1. Chief Executive Ed Whitacre has said he hopes the automaker can post a 2010 profit.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gm Financials should be really bad isn't the us goverment like hundreds of billions in debt and since the own somthing like 55% of gm .There probly compressing overdue bills for the corvettes body seeing that plastic is just to expensive these days
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Scott

How long does it take to clean out and count the change in the reception lounge?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
Gm Financials should be really bad isn't the us goverment like hundreds of billions in debt and since the own somthing like 55% of gm .There probly compressing overdue bills for the corvettes body seeing that plastic is just to expensive these days
GM will probably be in less debt then Ford will be. They got to write off a lot of theirs while getting government money.
But their downside was a big reduction in R&D compared to Ford.

History has shown that doing what Ford did should pay off for them when things are at full steam again.
Old 31-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
GM will probably be in less debt then Ford will be. They got to write off a lot of theirs while getting government money.
But their downside was a big reduction in R&D compared to Ford.

History has shown that doing what Ford did should pay off for them when things are at full steam again.

Agreed. The US govt made sure GM emerged with a reasonable debt so as not to undermine companies like Ford and Fiat. Other impediments to rapid recovery are salary caps, a stated objective to shrink the company, reduction in R&D as you say, conspicuous transparency to regulators, panel review, macro management incursion by public servants, etc all designed for slow and steady as she goes.

There have been teasers for a few weeks now that GM is tracking with Ford, they are paying down debt and partial floats will occur sooner than later. Not much comfort for the dudded creditors of the old GM though, but that is capitalism US style when depression hits.
Old 31-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
xr8-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
How long does it take to clean out and count the change in the reception lounge?
Being a government department I would say at least 6 to 8 weeks.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8-200
Being a government department I would say at least 6 to 8 weeks.
Just to review who's going to do it
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Wally
XP Coupe

Looks like US Ford might outsell US GM in March

http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/pr...6/article.html
Old 31-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Still can't believe the way bankruptcies occur in the US. Really the, "sorry shareholders to bad, you don't get squat' doesn't do it for me.

It really should be a system where the debts are placed in the second company to allow the company to rebuild, then payments are made over time once the company gets back to growth.

I'm surprised jilted shareholders haven't taken personal vendetta's damaing GM property, given that some shareholders probably have now gone bankrupt themselves (talking about personal investors here)
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Still can't believe the way bankruptcies occur in the US. Really the, "sorry shareholders to bad, you don't get squat' doesn't do it for me.

It really should be a system where the debts are placed in the second company to allow the company to rebuild, then payments are made over time once the company gets back to growth.

I'm surprised jilted shareholders haven't taken personal vendetta's damaing GM property, given that some shareholders probably have now gone bankrupt themselves (talking about personal investors here)
Tantamount to legalized asset stripping but also remember that
minor stock holders everywhere are way down the food chain.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Wally
XP Coupe

Same occurs here. I was fleeced nearly a $1m as a creditor and the Directors got a slap on the wrist. One day.......
Old 06-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

Wednesday is the day:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...QaSAvqlcqfwUfg
Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Same occurs here. I was fleeced nearly a $1m as a creditor and the Directors got a slap on the wrist. One day.......
A family member doing subcontracting lost $30k due to his creditor going bust. Really sorry to hear about your loss Wally. That really sucks.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
CHICAGO, April 5 (Xinhua) -- The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has opened a preliminary investigation into 6.2 million General Motors Co. vehicles for possible corrosion of vehicle brake lines, the Detroit News reported.
I wouldnt be going out to buy the new GM stock when they refloat sometime late this year. If they were making cars like this in the good times, you can just imagine what sort of cars they were making last two years, with workers fearing for their jobs, and also losing out on their shareholdings.

I wonder if GM's major shareholder (US Government), will attack them as much as they did Toyota.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
I wouldnt be going out to buy the new GM stock when they refloat sometime late this year. If they were making cars like this in the good times, you can just imagine what sort of cars they were making last two years, with workers fearing for their jobs, and also losing out on their shareholdings.

I wonder if GM's major shareholder (US Government), will attack them as much as they did Toyota.
LaHood from the US government NHTSA is recommending the maximum penalty
of $16 million against Toyota for concealing the accelerator pedal problem.
While that sounds like small beer, it will pale in comparison to civil trial gang rape that's coming.
Toyota is a ripe plum ready for the picking by multiple class action suits, by the time those guys
get through with Toyota, they will be lucky to still be in business...
Old 06-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #16
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fortunately the courts probably act with some degree of competence, as compared to the way the US legislators do. Even in worse case scenario, Toyota will have to spend a few billions to delay the issues in court for a few years.

The rebound in US sales for Toyota probably show how much it is more idiot driver and US government hysteria, than the normal american (if there is such a thing) car buyer. Surely for Toyota to win any case, all they will need to do is take a juror in a car and show them what putting the car in neutral or applying the handbrake (or applying the foot brake) will do to a cars speed.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Fortunately the courts probably act with some degree of competence, as compared to the way the US legislators do. Even in worse case scenario, Toyota will have to spend a few billions to delay the issues in court for a few years.

The rebound in US sales for Toyota probably show how much it is more idiot driver and US government hysteria, than the normal american (if there is such a thing) car buyer. Surely for Toyota to win any case, all they will need to do is take a juror in a car and show them what putting the car in neutral or applying the handbrake (or applying the foot brake) will do to a cars speed.
It's not that simple.
Ford recently got sued for another Explorer roll over where the woman had bald tyres on the car,
jury didn't listen and awarded her millions, Ford are appealing. Oh, to live in America....
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know what your saying JPD. You often hear of big wins against car companies, tobacco companies etc, but I dont think in the end, the people end up with the money. Most often the corporations appeal decisions, and they get awards get lowered big time, or the appellant just decides to settle for less, to get money quicker (have been thru a similar process myself, and you just get worn down).

Toyota may have to fork out $500,000 a day in legal fees for quite a while, but as long as they have $10 million coming in the back door each day, they will fight the good fight. No one will take on this power, without thinking of negotiating.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
A family member doing subcontracting lost $30k due to his creditor going bust. Really sorry to hear about your loss Wally. That really sucks.
Thanks mate. It hit me hard and pushed my marriage to places I never want to go again. At the same time my wife almost died in intensive care. They should bring back debtors prisons in my view.