Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Jay_Rock

Default Matthew Johns Sex Scandal

Did anyone watch last nights Interview with Matthew Johns and his wife? I thought the reporter Interviewing was asking stupid questions like "If the chance arised again would you do It again?" and I was like are you kidding me what a dumb question! He said If he had known she was 19 years old he wouldn't have done It. A young girl with a family.. BUT Matthew did quote that APPRENTLY she was willing. That makes It NOT a sex scandal. And the reporter Implying that he did abuse that girl. And he didn't. He said that how many times. The man was beside himself.. speechless as anything. As for his career loss I won't comment on that there's alot of reasons why he should stay In his career and alot of reasons why he shouldn't. She also asked "What would you tell the other players out there about this?" and I was thinking It's not JUST rugby players out there that do this he should be telling every man AND woman who have or will do this that It Is not right. The reporter seemed as If she knew was being right about what she was saying. Both women and men have different approaches and thoughts to a conversation. I would say If a man was Interviewing him the questions may have been more different and more thoughtful.

Old 14-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

So what did he do wrong other than cheating on his wife?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 14-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
He didn't post it on redtube
Old 14-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Scott

I wondered if she would have put a Mick Jagger or Bret Michaels through the same ridiculous questions. There is no doubt in my mind that some women go out seeking this sort of attention and I believed pretty much everything Johns had to say about it.

His body language suggested he was being truthful and his wife wasn't suprised about anything that was said.

Sure it wasn't the smartest move for a high profiled person to get involved in but whilst its not my cup of tea, I don't have a problem with consenting adults doing whatever floats their boat.

Interestingly, my wife thought that he was innocent (of everything except cheating) too and was really irritated by Grimshaws idiotic questions and obvious personal disgust. She interviewed him like he was a dirty criminal and tried over and over to get gory details that were far from the best interests of the woman to have aired.

I'm disappointed that he lost his job over something that is seemingly a matter for only him and his wife to sort out.... seven years ago.

Last edited by GTP006; 14-05-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelink
Old 14-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

This is a very sad situation for all involved IMO. At the end of the day it does not appear that a "crime" has been done, as the NZ police cleared all involved.

What she actually consented to, I don't know (I don't think anyone knows aside from those in the room at the time). This poor girl has had her life thrown around, be it by her own fault or through the footballers/officials (or both).

Unfortunately Johns has to go. A game that is struggling with a number of sex scandals can't have as their face a man who participated in this event (consenual or not) whilst married. It really is not a good look, and unfortunatly that is how public life works.

Is it fair to ask footballers to not engage in any of these activities if they are consenual? They are not illegal, but it could have the same consequences as this week. It is a real problem for the game.

What sucks is that Johns has been left to cop all the blame. There is a bunch of spineless weaklings sitting in the shadows leaving Johns to cop the wrath of the Australian public. Poor form.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
Old 14-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Jay_Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
That Is dam right! He was Just In the wrong crowd with a willing LEGAL age for sex 19 year old and apparently people of Australia feel angry and upset Just because they're human and any human would be Angry at someone who got Involved with other guys taking Advantage of a young girl. Who wouldn't. And It's those people that get Angry there Judgement gets clouded and all they wanna think about Is "That man Is a discrace" flippin' heck bad things happen everyday the entire world almost Is on a track leading to something VERY bad. Yes It may seem bad that what he did seemed wrong. But take a relaxed approach at this and REALLY think that It's alot less wrong than what people think It Is. He cheated on his wife.. that's It. Which guy hasn't.. I reckon It's rediculous at what the Public and the Medias perception Is on this.
Old 14-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

sounds like a storm in a teacup

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Funnily enough being female has nothing to do with how I feel about it all, I haven't automatically taken the 'womans' side because I think there is a hidden agenda in play.
I believe it's a deliberate attempt to shatter the man, his wife and family.
Personally I think he was hung out to dry. Why after 7 years was this bought to the forefront? Money talks...............
Old 14-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausbird
Funnily enough being female has nothing to do with how I feel about it all, I haven't automatically taken the 'womans' side because I think there is a hidden agenda in play.
I believe it's a deliberate attempt to shatter the man, his wife and family.
Personally I think he was hung out to dry. Why after 7 years was this bought to the forefront? Money talks...............
agree there. He's been head hunted because he is has a high profile in the NRL. So they try to make it look worse than it is because it makes for great ratings.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Exactly, what I can't understand is that if this happened 7 years ago, was invesitgated, and nothing came out of that, then why after 7 years has this surfaced to bite Johns in the a**. I mean really..... why has this come up now?
Old 14-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Jay_Rock

That's right wether you're Man or Woman what It comes down to Is taking a real good look and also putting yourself In their shoes and truely understanding there circumstances. This man has a family. This man has had to live with that thought everyday for the last 7 years. Fearing of his career loss and feeling bad everyday that he Is on National Television. Unfortunately talking about problems like this does no Justice. Doesn't change a thing. He was saying "Morally" he has learned and "Morally" he says It was not right. But I think what he was also trying to say to the reporter was that what she was saying and asking was Incorrect, Argumentative and somewhat thoughtless stupid questions on behalf of Australia. I'd say one of the reasons why this secret has finally came out maybe because some secrets cannot be kept. Somethings cannot be kept on ones chest. To live with a thought that haunting can break through the faint hearted.
Old 14-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Who cares? It's only NRL.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 14-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a heap of moral questions surrounding this no doubt.
But I cant understand why they're singling out the sport... this kind of thing happens allot, its not just sports people doing it or involved in it...
At the end of the day its a private matter, he's only answerable to his wife and the law, they both dealt with it 7 years ago, the law didn't find fault from a criminal perspective.
He could rightfully go for wrongful dismissal if he has in fact been dismissed.

Old 14-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The NRL have cleared Matthew Johns of any misconduct as the kiwi girl at the centre of the sex scandel admitted she wasn't aware of the interchange rule.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 14-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
Jay_Rock

Haha It's only NRL straight up.
Old 14-05-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If you guys wanna see where all this stemmed from it was on a report by four corners.

vid:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...interviews.htm

transcript:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...9/s2567972.htm

site of the story
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/conte...9/s2565007.htm
Old 14-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The police will not re-open the case...obviously its blown out of proportion.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/jo...0514-b3z7.html

Quote:
Johns sex investigation won't be reopened: NZ police

* May 14, 2009 - 12:11PM

The investigation into the sex scandal that cost disgraced rugby league personality Matthew Johns his job will not be reopened, New Zealand police say.

Johns' media and coaching career is in tatters after the ABC's Four Corners program aired allegations about his involvement in a 2002 group sex incident in Christchurch while he was playing for Cronulla.

Johns was one of several Cronulla players who took part in the act with a 19-year-old woman.

At the time, New Zealand police investigated the woman's claims that the sex was non-consensual, but the investigation cleared all players of wrongdoing.

Detective Inspector David Long, from Christchurch police, said the original investigation involved up to 80 interviews, and was thorough and conclusive.

"I'm completely satisfied that we got full and truthful accounts at the time and that no crime was committed," Detective Inspector Long said today.

"There's renewed interest now, obviously from this television program, but there's been no new information whatsoever that's come forward that changes anything.

"So as far as reopening it, it's just not going to happen."

He said the moral issues around group sex with a teenager were best left to commentators and were not a matter for police.

"There are moral aspects to this ... but these are not for the police to consider when enforcing the law," Detective Inspector Long said.

He also said the woman involved had been in touch with him again recently regarding the case, but that contact had not altered the situation.

Johns has been stood down by the Nine Network and has quit his position as an assistant coach at the Melbourne Storm in light of the recent developments.

The former Test star has apologised for the "pain and embarrassment" he caused the woman, but insisted she was a "willing participant" in everything that occurred in the hotel room seven years ago.

"Any trauma and embarrassment she has gone through as the result of this incident I am extremely sorry for," Johns told the Nine Network last night.

"At no point did she object to what was going on ... at no stage was she under any distress."

He said he was not guilty of abuse, but he was guilty of infidelity and stupidity.

AAP
Old 14-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #18
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

She'd at least know who the other player she went to the hotel with was.
But Matty is probably the biggest name, and would have certainly meant more money for her story.

If she really was as distressed as she says she wouldn't want to be on tv talking about it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 14-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #19
Jay_Rock

Any decent person out there saw this coming. It was enevidable. It Is truely blown out of proportions.
Old 14-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #20
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just like the Wayne Carey incident and all the other scandals floating around about our wonderful sporting heroes, who really cares. If it is a criminal incident then let it be tried as such, if it's just some questionable but "consensual" incident, then the involved parties and their families should be left to sort it out and pick up the pieces. It's none of my business, and the media shoving it in my face on all outlets, and then it creeping into our beloved Ford Forums.... I still don't care. They may play sport but they're still just people and I give a damn about Matthew Johns' extracurricular activities just as much as Joe Bloggs from Sample Street
Old 14-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #21
bluovl

I watched the Four Corners show and from what I could work out, this girl says she wants to expose those involved and she doesnt care for what happens to them or their families. Her mistake from years back is now going to bring down others.
I thought Matthew Johns handled himself very professionally and that Tracy Grimshaws questioning was pathetic and ordinary. I felt for Johns and when watching his answers could you could tell that he wanted to let more out but was most likely advised not to.
It appears this girl made a choice 7 years back that she now regrets, and others will now pay for her poor choice.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 14-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #22
Jay_Rock

I don't think there's much else to say other than we all support Matthew not as a Player but as a man who much regrets his actions Just like any other person In the world.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #23
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
The NRL have cleared Matthew Johns of any misconduct as the kiwi girl at the centre of the sex scandel admitted she wasn't aware of the interchange rule.
Very subtle...
Old 14-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Rock
I don't think there's much else to say other than we all support Matthew not as a Player but as a man who much regrets his actions Just like any other person In the world.
Yeah I'd regret my actions too.... if I got caught and had to live with the consequences he has faced. No sympathy here
Old 14-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #25
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Very subtle...
and inappropriate.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #26
DeansXR8

I feel for the girl involved, it probably would be hard living with something like that, but really, most girls/women wouldn't put themselves in that situation in the first place and a stated by John's she was a willing participant.
I think the NRL does need to take action to try and bring a more family-ish reputation to the game, but this wasn't illegal and was 7 years ago on a different tangent-
Andrew Johns using drugs however is illegal and channel 9 & NRL/david gallop say...
"You can't condone it but you can't throw him on the scrap heap. We need to rally around Andrew and provide the right rehabilitation processes to take him forward and get him out of this and make sure he never returns to it." (quote from ABC news)

but back to Matty's problem,
What i do find strange is a couple of things, why John's is coping all the blame when, she was a willing participant and there were other players involved (regardless of if they become known or not) and also the Shark's board knew of this and nothing was mentioned of them disregarding it at the time?
..And why go to the media/ remember it now, if i read (sorry-if my wife read's) of this story in a womans magazine sometime soon then i will understand it has just been for $$$. I apologise if i'm wrong but i reckon that's where its heading.

I honestly just think it is another example of people not taking responsibilty for their own actions and descisions. Johns told the truth to his wife and the police and both moved on, I think morally it wasn't right but he was definitly hard done by compared to punishment dealt out before by the NRL, considering Brett Stewart is still playing.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #27
DeansXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
If she really was as distressed as she says she wouldn't want to be on tv talking about it.
Exactly.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #28
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would he have lost his job at Ch.9 if it were revealed he was a Homosexual cheating on his wife?
Old 14-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #29
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Ohhhh deal with it and get a sense of humour.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 14-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #30
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something majority footy players aer not good at doing is using their head.

Matt John's admitted last night the reporter from 4 Corners asked him about the incident and to participate in the story, he declined.

For his interview last night, it was 2 days late IMO. There appears to be enourmous inconsistancy between the story's. If Matt's version of events was air on Monday night with the other side of the story, I think what has happened in the last 24 hours would be different.