Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
prn31

Default Rear Anti-Roll Bar on a Wagon

Hi guys, I'm a newbie on this forum.

Just purchased a stock 2000 AUII Fairmont wagon to tow my race car and I want to make the thing handle.

It has 261K on the clock and it needs new shocks - I intend to put Monroe GT Gas on in due course.

I was thinking of putting a 20mm non-adjustable rear anti-roll bar on. Is this overkill? Should I just leave as is? I do drive it on a twisty road on my commute to work and I would like it a bit more responsive than it is.

Or, given that I will be towing, just put a set of Polyair springs in the back to firm things up a tad, in the knowledge that when I'm towing I would be pumping them up to level the car with a trailer on.

What about a Nolanthane link and bush kit for the standard front anti-roll bar. Will that liven things up or just make the car harsher.

Finally I've bought a set of AUI Tickford 17 inch wheels to put on the car. What tyres should I put on that will give me durability - are the OE Dunlop SP Sport 3000A (as used on XR6) the way to go?

prn31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Rear Anti-Roll Bar on a Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by prn31
Finally I've bought a set of AUI Tickford 17 inch wheels to put on the car. What tyres should I put on that will give me durability - are the OE Dunlop SP Sport 3000A (as used on XR6) the way to go?
Fo tyres, go for something like Nexen N5000s. Great tyre for the price and good all round.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've gone down this road with my folks AU wagon a few years back.

We did fit a rear bar, but in hindsight it possibly didn't need it.
They did tow with it, and this is what it had.

Front coils were heavy duty and lowered 30mm.
Rear leaves were re-set 30mm lower and had 2 extra leaves (6 in total).
Front sway bar went from 24mm to 27mm.
22mm rear sway bar added (but probably not needed).
Monroe GT gas shocks front and rear.
For a good part of the time it had 17x7.5" wheels with 245/45/17 tyres, and later went to 18x8" rims with 245/40/18 tyres.

I also gave it a little more negative camber and positive caster.

For a wagon it handled very well.
It also towed exceptional, perhaps more stable than their current standard Territory.

I wouldn't bother with air bags, as if the rear of the car sags much because of the ball weight of the trailer, then you really need a WDH (weight distribution hitch).
WDH's are the correct device for sagging rear ends, as they restore some of the weight to the front wheels as well as lifting the rear. This allows correct braking and good steering feel, something which air bags can not do.

If you didn't want to do all of the above, then for towing purposes I would at least do the minimum of the shocks, front sway bar, and definitely the WDH.

As for tyres, some I've used over the last few years, all with good results are - Maxxis MAZ1, Kumho KU31, Nexen, and Kenda.

Hope that's of some use to you.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
prn31

Thanks Sox for your comprehensive reply.

I've been speaking to a friend who has had a few Falcons and he has convinced me to ditch the idea of putting a rear anti-roll bar in.

Also I was confused re the air bags. My friend said I should put a set of Monroe adjustable air shocks or Gas Risers in the back, which in itself should work similar to an anti-roll bar if I pump it up. But it seems that Monroe don't make them for the AU - BF wagon which strikes me as strange.

I won't put a 27mm anti-roll bar at the front, just stiffen up the 24mm with Nolanthane as previously advised.

I'm not going to muck around with changing springs or lowering it. It is a workhorse after all, and I've got other cars to drive for fun...

Not sure that I need a WDH - I need to do more research on this.

The Kumho KU31 seems like a good tyre and I believe its rated for loads as well.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prn31
Thanks Sox for your comprehensive reply.

I've been speaking to a friend who has had a few Falcons and he has convinced me to ditch the idea of putting a rear anti-roll bar in.

Also I was confused re the air bags. My friend said I should put a set of Monroe adjustable air shocks or Gas Risers in the back, which in itself should work similar to an anti-roll bar if I pump it up. But it seems that Monroe don't make them for the AU - BF wagon which strikes me as strange.

I won't put a 27mm anti-roll bar at the front, just stiffen up the 24mm with Nolanthane as previously advised.

I'm not going to muck around with changing springs or lowering it. It is a workhorse after all, and I've got other cars to drive for fun...

Not sure that I need a WDH - I need to do more research on this.

The Kumho KU31 seems like a good tyre and I believe its rated for loads as well.
The WDH is arguably the most important part of any heavy tow rig.
If you're going to anything, make it this.

Any trailer with more than around 70-80kg of ball weight must have one for balanced towing.

Read this.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...on-systems.htm

Then weigh what you have.
Then buy the correct size from here.
http://www.caravansplus.com.au/catal...th=51_1001_435
Old 26-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
prn31

Thanks Sox.

I will read up on this and chat to my towing matings as to what I should do.

Here is a photo of my rig en route:

Note this a borrowed trailer but it seems pretty balanced to me...
Old 26-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Sox
RIP...

The back of the wagon looks at least 20-30mm lower than the front.

A WDH will raise the rear and transfer some of the weight to the front, restoring steering wheel feel and correct brake bias.
Something which air bags can't do, as they only lift the rear.