Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 14-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
mundus
Starter Motor

Default Km Reading for a New Car

I have ordered my 08 mondeo zetec hatch early this year and gone to see it last week. I noticed that the car has already travelled 12 km. Isnt't it a bit too much????? I am sensing that my car has been test-driven. What do you guys think??? What was your km reading when you first get your mondeo???

mundus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

12 is nothing, sounds about right, every new car is test driven....... or should be!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

12!!!! thats really low!
12 is the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to new cars.
anything up to 50km is normal.
the lowest iv seen is 4km
TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Remember "imported" new cars have to also roll off and on the ship etc...

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Shiner
Starter Motor

Ours had 9km on it when we first saw it out back of the dealer (still in 'delivery' mode) and 12km on it once it had been checked etc on the morning of delivery.
Shiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
r2d2

Apparently you can reset the km's up to around 45km. I saw it on a UK moneo website. So you many never really know how many kms your car has done.
Old 14-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Mine had 9.4 kms on it when I got it. I had a Cherokee that had 11 on it, so I've not done to bad.

I'd be pretty shirty if it had 50+ on it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
warren77

Mine had about 11 on it.
My previous Liberty had about 19 on it, because it had to go get Tinting, Paint Protection and Towbar fitted, which the dealer outsourced.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Shiner
Starter Motor

Read in the user's manual that the km's can be reset I think it was 5 times before it won't let you do it any more!

Wifey want's to know how many times someone is going to ask her if she knows she has pulled up at the diesel pump?
Shiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XR5 had around 20 on it. Another I saw had 50 and one on the show room floor was just over 100.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #11
wjf

Mine had 12kms on it...every new car I have ever owned had been between 9 & 20kms
Old 14-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Yeah, it's normal for cars to have a few K's on them. Cars that come off the line, some of them are picked out of the bunch for a test drive procedure to check if all is good. It's just to make sure that the line is working effieciently and that the cars are being put together properly.
Then also, during pre-delivery checks they should be road tested again so the customer doesn't get in, drive down the road and start hearing noises. Pre-delivery is for any manufacture probs or design probs to be picked up before being delivered to the customer.

Hope all this clears things up a bit.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #13
Zippy7

I'd be happy if it was merely 12kms. As many others have stated, the cars do have to be driven around a bit - like off the production line, onto a truck, onto a boat, off the boat, etc. If you are getting the car tinted, expect them to drive your car to the tint shop

I'd probably complain if the car had over 50 kms on it.

ps. My brother bought a Subaru Liberty 2 years ago - we went to the dealership, and we drove the unregistered car (with a trade plate) at 8kms. When we took it back, it had 20kms or so - the first couple of kms, the car emitted all sorts of fumes (I could smell it in the rear). It cleared up after a bit more driving. Strangely, he ended up buying that particular car
Old 15-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #14
hannem

My new BA XR6 had 1 km on it when I first picked it up and and it clicked over to 2 just as I was leaving the dealership.
hannem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post