Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Katoomba

Default 30,000Km Service

Mine Zetec is coming up for its 30,000km service in the next two to three weeks so I thought I'd start this thread for comments on this particular service interval.

(For new members there are threads for the 3,000 & 15,000 services)

Old 13-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
scribbly

Just had my service completed and front tyres are scrubbing out on the inner - so replacements needed there. A loose exhaust shield was fixed and seat trim re-affixed where kids kick at the back seat.
I enquired about replacement wiper blades and was told that Ford are going through the process of granting local (Aust.) manufacture. The same process happened with the Focus and it took about 14 mths. Car is going well and feels fully run-in.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
jared79
Sock Puppets

Hey guys, I'm back. I am just about to get my front tyres done too at only 25,000km. I am running on the Bridgestone Potenza's and at $400 a pop, I was expecting a little more. Poke to Ford and they have Dunlop SP3000 Sport for $270. Has anyone heard what these tyres are like? I would like something that lasts a little longer than 25,000KM. Or am I just asking too much.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared79
Hey guys, I'm back. I am just about to get my front tyres done too at only 25,000km. I am running on the Bridgestone Potenza's and at $400 a pop, I was expecting a little more. Poke to Ford and they have Dunlop SP3000 Sport for $270. Has anyone heard what these tyres are like? I would like something that lasts a little longer than 25,000KM. Or am I just asking too much.
With tyres you really do 'get what you pay for', tyre design can be bias towards grip, comfort, wear or price, or you can purchase tyres that are a reasonable compromise between all or a few. It comes down to what you want from your tyre. The cost has little or no bearing on how long they last, cost is more to do with the type of rubber used and the construction method used. A high performance tyre will use high tech soft rubber with extremely stiff side wall and case construction; this makes it very sticky and affords you good handling due to the tyre not flexing or rolling under when you’re cornering hard. For the average punter a basic all round tyre from Hankook or Toyo is more than enough. Others will only use the very best and most expensive tyres they can find, Continental, Michelin etc. It gets down to how you drive and how much you’re prepared to pay.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared79
Don't you rotate your tyres at 5000km intervals I have never changed the front or backs on their own

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The SP3000 you're talking about, I'd imagine they're a 235/45R17 tyre, the Falcon XR6 one. The Falcon 17" SP3000 (part number 9137028) is a great tyre, but only rated at 93W. The Mondeo has a load rating of 97W I believe. So the Falcon tyre is not legal on the Mondeo - maybe you need to inform your Dealer of this! It will fit but is against ADR's on the placard on the car.

They should be able to provide a Goodyear Excellence that's correctly load rated and only about $20 dearer I think per corner, but they may even be able to match it. Part number 4083187. It's OE fitment also, so you know it's made for the car.

Just my 2c anyway :
Old 27-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
scribbly

Yeah, the Goodyear Excellence came on my car and the front ones now need replacing at 33,000 km. Ford Servicing never rotated the tyres and this is what happens.
The rears are OK and will stay there for now.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
Yeah, the Goodyear Excellence came on my car and the front ones now need replacing at 33,000 km. Ford Servicing never rotated the tyres and this is what happens.
The rears are OK and will stay there for now.
And this is what p*sses me off: you really pay $270 for an oil change. I doubt my local dealer would have done computer upgrades etc.

And I hope they will recharge the A/C under warranty when I get the 30K service soon. It can't cope with a Sydney Spring so it's going to be next to useless in Summer.

As I've mentioned in other posts, for the past seven years I've had my cars serviced at Kmart - things like tyre rotation, wiper blade replacement etc are all part of the fixed price servicing which costs around $150.

One regret I now have is that I was impatient and didn't wait the three or four months for leather seats. The fabric covering is rough and attracts every bit of hair and crap and it's darn hard to vacuum off.

Last edited by Katoomba; 28-11-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba

One regret I now have is that I was impatient and didn't wait the three or four months for leather seats.
hmmm ever sat on a hot black leather seat wearing a pair of shorts! talking about seats saw a mondeo with great sheep skin covers the only problem is I hope who ever owns it is not going to rely on the air bags to save their lives
:togo: should be illegal to install covers without side slots

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
hmmm ever sat on a hot black leather seat wearing a pair of shorts! talking about seats saw a mondeo with great sheep skin covers the only problem is I hope who ever owns it is not going to rely on the air bags to save their lives
:togo: should be illegal to install covers without side slots

apstar
Heh - instead of full seat covers, they should just have inserts. Like a sleeveless tank top
Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
Windsor Mondeo
Starter Motor

Took my Zetec in for 30K service. Tyres still ok (just). Was notified about a recall on Zetec (See separate thread) and awaiting a new centre console to come in as my one is broken. Overal price and service was the same as everybody. Did like that they washed my car and was ready by 1pm.
Windsor Mondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Katoomba

Just booked in for the 30k service next week.

The only thing I mentioned was the woeful a/c (not counting the last three heatwave days in Sydney) since summer started.

I asked if it could be re-gassed under warranty and the service people (Sinclair Ford Penrith NSW) said that they had not had any complaints from other owners nor a service sheet from Ford. However, they did say they will check it out on the day.