Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-07-2024, 08:36 AM   #1
JustBill
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo 2011 Turbo Diesel lack of power

Ive searched threads for an answer to my problem but no success. Sorry if this is a repetitive one.

Just bought this 2011 Mondeo Turbo Diesel automatic. 170,000 with service history since leaving the factory. I have never driven one before this so not sure if this is normal for a Diesel Mondeo.

Takes time to reach speeds and even longer in slight climbs. Example, standing start take off i will hit 60km in roughly 100 meters. Very dangerous turning into traffic when finding a gap. Another example while in a minor climb is the exit ramp out of my town merging onto the hwy has a climb not that steep..... but Takes me almost 1000 meters in distance to reach 100km speed and only doing around 60km at the point of merge. I'ts as if i'm towing a truck behind. Rev gage shows 2500-3500 rpm in-between gear change (depending on the slope of the road).

No Engine lights appear. No codes showing when plugged in. Turbo tested and it's fine.

PS: Another strange happening is i can feel the gear change kick down when approaching a intersection. I feel the jerk at around 40-35km speed. It's as if it shifts down to 2nd or 1st to early. Not sure if this is also normal for a power shift

Anyone with an idea? or is this gutless acceleration normal for a Mondeo

Last edited by JustBill; 08-07-2024 at 08:57 AM.
JustBill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2024, 08:48 AM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mondeo 2011 Turbo Diesel lack of power

No, that's not normal, it is a very grunty engine and pulls hard from just over 1500 rpm.

I'm not sure what could cause a loss of power like that and not generate a code. Loss of boost is one possibility, but that should result in at least one code.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Old 13-07-2024, 05:10 PM   #3
AlanM

Some possibilities come to mind. The fuel filter or air filter might need replacing. A service "history" doesn't actually mean any real services were carried out, just that they were billed for.

Possibly a faulty injector. Maybe perform a leak back test. You could try some injector cleaner too.

There could be some restriction in the exhaust. A blocked DPF should throw codes, but there could possibly be some physical damage to the exhaust.

Someone who knows a lot more about these cars than me suggested that the intercooler could be partially blocked with oil from the PCV system.

It should definitely rev out past 3500rpm, going close to redline.

I guess it's possible the inlet manifold is gunged up with EGR soot combined the PCV oil. That wouldn't throw any codes AFAIK.

Re the transmission: I would definitely look at changing the oil and external filter. DIY is best, there's videos on YouTube on how to do it. If you don't want to DIY try to find a transmission place with a clue about these cars. (There aren't many)

Last edited by AlanM; 13-07-2024 at 05:17 PM.
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 08:49 PM   #4
AlanM

Another thought, it could simply be the throttle position sensor.

A possible way to check if it's this would be to use the cruise control to accelerate. If you're going about 40kmh on cruise, and press and hold the + button, the car will normally accelerate pretty fast. If it does, then the throttle pedal sensor could be the problem.
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 09:21 PM   #5
JustBill
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
Another thought, it could simply be the throttle position sensor.

A possible way to check if it's this would be to use the cruise control to accelerate. If you're going about 40kmh on cruise, and press and hold the + button, the car will normally accelerate pretty fast. If it does, then the throttle pedal sensor could be the problem.
I will give it a try thanks.
Took it to a mechanic who had it for 2 days and looked over it. They were 100% certain the injector seals is the cause and need replacement. So i did that myself. But no change, still drives the same.
Old 14-07-2024, 09:28 PM   #6
JustBill
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
Some possibilities come to mind. The fuel filter or air filter might need replacing. A service "history" doesn't actually mean any real services were carried out, just that they were billed for.

Possibly a faulty injector. Maybe perform a leak back test. You could try some injector cleaner too.

There could be some restriction in the exhaust. A blocked DPF should throw codes, but there could possibly be some physical damage to the exhaust.

Someone who knows a lot more about these cars than me suggested that the intercooler could be partially blocked with oil from the PCV system.

It should definitely rev out past 3500rpm, going close to redline.

I guess it's possible the inlet manifold is gunged up with EGR soot combined the PCV oil. That wouldn't throw any codes AFAIK.

Re the transmission: I would definitely look at changing the oil and external filter. DIY is best, there's videos on YouTube on how to do it. If you don't want to DIY try to find a transmission place with a clue about these cars. (There aren't many)
My local mechanic had the car for 2 days and went over it. Diagnosis: Turbo works, no air leaks, zero codes, Auto fine, 100% certain injector seals need replacing.

I replaced them and now i can say it's 100% certain wasn't the problem as it drives exactly the same.
Old 14-07-2024, 09:40 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Lack of meaningful boost, just need to find out why.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2024, 10:42 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A further note, I hadn’t taken in before today, that Alan Howatt (YT Mondeo taxi expert cited in other posts) has permanently upped stumps and moved to a Filipino village with his better half. He might well be up for some affordable paid consultation - is a pretty clued up character. Or someone could just be cheeky and invite him to join the forum!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post