Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2024, 11:28 PM   #2881
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Why is it.................?

My ex employer treated me well. It was very much a 2 way street, the owner was one of 'those' people who would cut off his nose to spite his face if you know what i mean. But if you did the right thing towards the company he did look after you. I worked there for 14 years before i left and in that time, just by doing an honest days work for an honest days pay, i got perks. Also because being on service and doing quotes, little things like being encouraged to take customers out for coffee or lunch etc to build customer relationships and sales etc. That side of things didn't go down to well with my workmates as they (regardless of age) reverted to schoolyard jelousy, as in 'why does he get payed to take 2 hours to take a client to a thai restaurant'.
I think the nicest thing my employer did for me was. On a friday night in april 2017, my left arm stopped working down from the elbow. My logic was sleep it off, but nah, didnt work on saturday either. Went hospital and they said what they said so i sent the certificate to the boss and said i wont be in on monday. I did that to prove no bs on dates. Boss called me on the saturday to ask whats next. Well monday i saw my gp who reffered me to a neuroligist. I booked that, but the appointment was 6 weeks off. Told the boss and he cut me off and said he'd call me back. His dad worked in a private hospital (as a maintenance man/bed pusher) and pulled some strings and got me in to their neurologist for nerve conduction studies the next day. Boss also payed for it. Well no answers from that, it took 39 days before i got any movement back, but. Work car and fuel card the whole time.
So i was looked after. 7 years later left hand still doesnt work good. Im left handed too, so my handwriting is that of a 5 year old.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2024, 02:36 AM   #2882
onemanempire
Sharper than a marble
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So i was looked after. 7 years later left hand still doesnt work good. Im left handed too, so my handwriting is that of a 5 year old.
One word for you: Acupuncture.

I had a similar thing happen to me..

I was undoing the lower control arm on a N13 pulsar at the wreckers.
Had the brake calliper suspended on the strut spring.

While my arm was under maximum effort / strain, the brake calliper fell onto my elbow. Man it hurt ALOT. anyway after the initial pain subsided, I was sore for a couple of days and didn't think much about it.

Roll on 2 days after the event, and I was on a long phone call.
My right hand started to go numb. Within 15 minutes I was unable to make a fist, or pick up a pencil from the desk. I thought, oh well, we'll see what happens in the morning. It was worse. Couldn't move my hand at all.
Hmmm, bugga.
Went to see a doctor, he freaked out, gave me 2 aspirin and said "I think your having a stroke. You need to go to hospital right now. Hmm, that sucks. So he gives me a letter to take to hospital.
I gave it to the duty nurse. She freaks out (don't know what the letter said) and ushers me straight into a ward. Get tests done etc etc blah blah blah.

Turns out I had hurt my Radial Ulna nerve (brake calliper fell on it).

So they said I would need to see a neurosurgeon, and it would be a 8 week wait.

Nah, fck that bitch. I went to see a Chinese chain smoking acupuncturist, and he put the needles in, and also wired them up so I get electric shock stimulation. My hand was opening and closing by itself. Mad sensation.
I walked out being able to close my hand, barely.
2 days later see him again, I could make a firm fist.
A week and 4 sessions later, I was at 85% grip strength.

Just sayin... this might work for you. I sure hope so, as I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Get it fixed bros.

One Man
Old 01-09-2024, 08:50 PM   #2883
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Why is it.....

That when people ask for advice on both the forums & bookface, there is an abundance of people who clearly have no idea, but are quick to give incorrect answers?

Also, more noticeably on bookface, why do so many people seem hell bent on doing work that is clearly above their capabilities, knowledge and experience? For the love of god people, if you dont know the difference between disc & drum brakes, WHY do you think its a good idea to be asking about a DIY brake component change?
Old 01-09-2024, 09:00 PM   #2884
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Why is it.....

That when people ask for advice on both the forums & bookface, there is an abundance of people who clearly have no idea, but are quick to give incorrect answers?

Also, more noticeably on bookface, why do so many people seem hell bent on doing work that is clearly above their capabilities, knowledge and experience? For the love of god people, if you dont know the difference between disc & drum brakes, WHY do you think its a good idea to be asking about a DIY brake component change?
1. Or those who ask questions, don't bother reading any of the replies, then ask the exact same question again...........and again.............and again.................

2. Or those who have absolutely no concept of research, so expect others to provide them the answers so they don't have to do a dam thing. Lazy, lazy, lazy..................

3. Or those, almost always number 2 above, who get given everything they need handed to them on a silver platter, but then go on to question or challenge the validity of your response despite your hands on knowledge and experience on the topic.

The above is almost always a Facebook or an American forum thing. Lazy arrogance is what I call it.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2024, 09:16 PM   #2885
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Its amazing how few people understand the acronym RTFM
Old 01-09-2024, 09:31 PM   #2886
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

??
Old 01-09-2024, 09:32 PM   #2887
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Its amazing how few people understand the acronym RTFM
Yep!

And yet, somehow it's quicker and easier to ask the question on the internet rather taking the two minutes to opening the glovebox, navigating to the index, then read the info for themselves. Again, these people can't be fu.ked and want others to do it for them..............just pure laziness and entitlement. Kinda goes like this...........................

"How much oil does my car take?"

What sort of car do you have?

"I don't know, its a white Nissan, its got black wheels, 10 cup holders and a reverse camera "

Ahhh, well that doesn't tell me what the car is.

"Lol. Why does it matter, I'm not asking a difficult question, just wanted to know about the oil".

Well, if you can read, its printed in your owner's manual, and if you don't have the manual, its available in PDF format on the manufacturer's website.

"Take it easy bro, I asked a simple question, don't have to be an *** about it"

:bang head
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2024, 09:53 PM   #2888
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanempire View Post
One word for you: Acupuncture.

I had a similar thing happen to me..

I was undoing the lower control arm on a N13 pulsar at the wreckers.
Had the brake calliper suspended on the strut spring.

While my arm was under maximum effort / strain, the brake calliper fell onto my elbow. Man it hurt ALOT. anyway after the initial pain subsided, I was sore for a couple of days and didn't think much about it.

Roll on 2 days after the event, and I was on a long phone call.
My right hand started to go numb. Within 15 minutes I was unable to make a fist, or pick up a pencil from the desk. I thought, oh well, we'll see what happens in the morning. It was worse. Couldn't move my hand at all.
Hmmm, bugga.
Went to see a doctor, he freaked out, gave me 2 aspirin and said "I think your having a stroke. You need to go to hospital right now. Hmm, that sucks. So he gives me a letter to take to hospital.
I gave it to the duty nurse. She freaks out (don't know what the letter said) and ushers me straight into a ward. Get tests done etc etc blah blah blah.

Turns out I had hurt my Radial Ulna nerve (brake calliper fell on it).

So they said I would need to see a neurosurgeon, and it would be a 8 week wait.

Nah, fck that bitch. I went to see a Chinese chain smoking acupuncturist, and he put the needles in, and also wired them up so I get electric shock stimulation. My hand was opening and closing by itself. Mad sensation.
I walked out being able to close my hand, barely.
2 days later see him again, I could make a firm fist.
A week and 4 sessions later, I was at 85% grip strength.

Just sayin... this might work for you. I sure hope so, as I know EXACTLY what you are going through. Get it fixed bros.

One Man
Left radial nerve paulsy is a bit different to an injury from say blunt force trauma. So didnt hurt at all when it happened. No loss of feeling or anything to my hand or fingers, just my brain could not make them move. At the hospital, the 1st doctor asked if it was ok for a second opinion as its only something he had read about. 2nd opinion was the same but again something she had read about. Anyrate, i was told nothing they could do. I asked for a certificate for work purposes. For some reason that takes hours and docs must talk. So in the time before the cert came all different docs came to poke, prod and ponder.
So after discharge next day i seen my gp. Showed him, and he was getting angry at me. Push back on this, squeeze that etc. I know you shouldnt be rude to healthcare workers, but luke was a good dude and had been short towards me and as much as i tried there was nothing. So i swore at him as my brain works arm does not. So he read the hospital note. Same deal, only read about it, wanted a 2nd opinion. Well 2nd opinion asked if it was ok for the uni students on work assignment to take a look. More attention then id received in a while, so go ahead.
Anyhows, got the referal for an appointment for a neurologist in 6 weeks, which i cancelled because my boss pulled strings and got me into the bloke at stgeorge private hospital for the next day. So the experience went like this. Payed a silly amount for parking, spoke to the front desk of the hospital who were very polite to ask where i needed to go. Went there and the lady on the desk there got my details and booking and handed me a form to fill out. I read the form just to make sure there was no clause to harvest my kidneys or what not and single handedly handed it back blank. Man did she get snippy untill she read on her system why i was there. Apology accepted and she filled out my form and as to my request signed with an X.
So nerve conduction, well that started fine. They do that thing with the pads on your arm and ramp into it. But nothing was askew. So the lovely nurse (im assuming she was french because accent and cute and hairy armpits) left the room to speak with the neurologist guy. He came in and set the pads to kill mode. That again, wasn't bad, ive had worse, but same results. So i was reasured the next test people preffered. Wow was that a bag of lies. So needles in to stimulate nerves from the insides. Same result, nothing wrong but your arm doesnt work.

So i left with no answers, arrived with a non functional arm, left with a non functional arm that now hurt because it was convection cooked from the insides.
Yes my arm works 7 years later, just not as it did. Muscles if 100% not used in around 6 days will break down. After the 39 days of my left arm failing, when it worked again, my right arm and hand isnt big, just grown up size, my left were almost skeletal.
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #2889
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why does weather still mention knots? I gave up knots when I left cubs (young scouts)
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #2890
onemanempire
Sharper than a marble
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Left radial nerve paulsy is a bit different to an injury from say blunt force trauma. So didnt hurt at all when it happened.
Hmmm,

that sucks Bros. I really hoped after reading your 1st post that the info I mentioned might help you to. But, Alas, no. Bugga.

I also had the "learner" young trainee staff have a look and diagnose etc, as my symptoms were exactly that of some one having a stroke.

And out of all the 8 "learners" only 1 correctly identified my problem. Good job I said.

Hope all is well with you Brother.

One Man.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #2891
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

…Why is “toxic femininity” articulated in such a way that it’s allegedly a problem caused by males? Toxic masculinity isn’t blamed on women.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #2892
Trendseeker

Ah, that is one of the unwritten rules for women and men that I read on an office noticeboard many years ago. A quick search found a copy on the Internet.

http://rebirthofreason.com/Articles/..._for_Men.shtml
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #2893
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
why does weather still mention knots? I gave up knots when I left cubs (young scouts)
Its a measurment of speed used in nautical and aviation circles, not what you do with rope....
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #2894
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
…Why is “toxic femininity” articulated in such a way that it’s allegedly a problem caused by males? Toxic masculinity isn’t blamed on women.
Because it's always, always the blokes fault.
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #2895
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Why is it the fire outlook always seems bad? If it's been a wet winter, then there's lots of extra fuel feeding the expected fires. If it's been a dry winter, then the scrub is tinder dry and ready to explode.

There never seems to be an in-between.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 02:18 PM   #2896
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its a measurment of speed used in nautical and aviation circles, not what you do with rope....
Rope played a part.
"One knot equals one nautical mile per hour, or roughly 1.15 statute mph. The term knot dates from the 17th century, when sailors measured the speed of their ship using a device called a “common log.” The common log was a rope with knots at regular intervals, attached to a piece of wood shaped like a slice of pie."
five 7 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 02:22 PM   #2897
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Rope played a part.
"One knot equals one nautical mile per hour, or roughly 1.15 statute mph. The term knot dates from the 17th century, when sailors measured the speed of their ship using a device called a “common log.” The common log was a rope with knots at regular intervals, attached to a piece of wood shaped like a slice of pie."
Yep, thats the origin. A knot is 1.852kmh. So why does my boat have a speedo in miles? Yes the fishfinder is set to knots but all speed zones on rivers are in knots not miles.