Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
BlackLS
yum

Default How to (sort of) change the thermostat on a 2.0L Duratec

For almost a year I've suspected that the thermostat wasn't working properly, the usual traits were:
- Slow to operating temprature on cold start
- Temprature would drop to 1/4 guage (~75deg) when overtaking someone on a cold night

So a new thermostat was purchased and away I went.

Here's the area of the engine to work on - the thermostat is right next to the waterpump pulley which is under the belt tensioner, so the tensioner will need to be removed (or the intake manifold, I took the easier option)

The right (or so I though) thermostat to go in...

Tensioner moved out of the way. Tensioner is held on with 3 10mm bolts.

Lots of grit from the belt's rubber

Yay my car IS a Euroford

Getting a better look at the thermostat housing you can see 2 8mm bolts, there is another one at the bottom as well :( For that I used a 8mm socket connected to a extension for a drill, and wound that around with a little spanner. Note to self get some flexible drill shafts.

And here is the thermostat housing

In which the thermostat is built into it. Next to it on the right is the thermostat Ford sold me, which I gather is for the LR.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post