Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Towbar fitting

Well I just fitted a factory towbar to my car.

Really easy job, but I cant find the loom to hook up the wiring. Does anyone else know where it is???

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Towbar fitting

Mine was dealer fitted and the wires come from behind the drivers side rear interior quarter panel in the hatch and come out the same rubber gromet as the D/S bumper lights under the rear wheel arch.
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
entheos

Neale, The LS/T Wiring loom should be a universal one which requires splicing the factory looms and fitting it from there. Any Auto Electrician could do it. I know a local to me charged a guy about $40 to do it.

The LV has a special plug in loom which is much longer and has special plugs fitted to it that plug in in parallel to the rear tail light plugs(gotta take the boot lining out to get to it) and leaves no wire cut to fit it. I modified mine to leave the wiring tail in the boot, rather than under the car, but that was pretty easy(just one 2 core cable for the reverse light)

Which wiring loom do you have?

Also if you have the LV loom, i hope you got the LS/T towbar tongue cause they LV tongue would press up hard against your diffuser and bend it, whereas the LS/T one won't on your car...
Old 26-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
Neale, The LS/T Wiring loom should be a universal one which requires splicing the factory looms and fitting it from there. Any Auto Electrician could do it. I know a local to me charged a guy about $40 to do it.

The LV has a special plug in loom which is much longer and has special plugs fitted to it that plug in in parallel to the rear tail light plugs(gotta take the boot lining out to get to it) and leaves no wire cut to fit it. I modified mine to leave the wiring tail in the boot, rather than under the car, but that was pretty easy(just one 2 core cable for the reverse light)

Which wiring loom do you have?

Also if you have the LV loom, i hope you got the LS/T towbar tongue cause they LV tongue would press up hard against your diffuser and bend it, whereas the LS/T one won't on your car...
sorry bout the delay,

I have the loom that you splice into the cars loom. I did it myself & was qiute easy to do once you work out which wires are which. It works ok but I have to run an extra wire across for the L/H side blinker.

As for the towbar tounge i have the LS, which fits mine perfect. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 26-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did the install on my LS recently.

If you dont want to take the lights out to check the wires, this may help.

Here are the car wire colours & the corresponding wire colours for the Motorcraft trailer wiring kit

1/ Left Indicator - Yellow (Car Wire - Blue)
You will have to run a wire from right hand side to left hand side for this one.

2/ Aux. Int. Lamps etc - Black (not hooked up)

3/ Earth - White (Car wire - Black)

4/ Right Indicator - Green (Car Wire - Blue & Red)

5/ Aux. Elec Brakes etc. - Blue (Car Wire - Not hooked up)

6/ Stop Lamp - Red (Car Wire - Green & Black)

7/ Tail marker/Clearance Lamps - Brown (Car Wire - Red)