Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2024, 06:52 PM   #12
Mr Doobie
Starter Motor

Default Re: Ford Falcon AU - Water Pump

This post from Srimal is 12 years old, but I'm still driving my AU1 Falcon. In May 2023, I had a mysterious leak, couldn't tell where or what liquid was dripping, slowly. But making enough of a mess on the driveway to annoy me. Then it disappeared.
Last week I noticed another big stain on the driveway. I've had paper towels under it each time, trying to figure what the liquid was and where it was coming from. It leaves a yellowish lip around the edge of the wetted paper towels. This afternoon I again tried to wipe under the front of the car looking for some sign of wetness but like last year, nothing wet. I could look down from above the alternator to see the general area where the liquid was hitting the paper. Brainwave, I replaced the paper towels with an old kitty litter tray. Within about 5 minutes there were 3 drops of green liquid (the radiator fluid is green). Out with the torch again and now I knew the exact location and noticed some shiny wet green liquid resting on the ledge where the heater return tube enters/exits the water pump. Finally.
I can't see how the tube remains stuck in the water pump, but reading this today, 12 years after your experience, I'm not taking the chance of stuffing up the car or my knuckles. I'll have to take it to auto guys and hope they can fix it. The coolant has been in there since 2016 so I'll do what I was going to do last year before the leak stopped. I'll get them to try to fix the leak and maybe fork out for a new pump and thermostat as well.

I bought the car new in 1999, with the LPG fitted as well.The car is 25 years old now, Coles is the only one who'll insure it ($4400) for a decent amount, and I like the car. I'll hopefully keep it for as long as I can keep renewing my licence and I can afford it.
Mr Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post