Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #31
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Are the Lights still on at Ford Australia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich View Post
There is absolutely nothing about the Everest that is appealing.. too big, too heavy, too slow, looks like a truck, diesel only fuel, poor fit & finish, too expensive, etc, etc. I've driven my fair share of both newer & older Everests to know its not for us. Handing over 90k on top of it all would just be insulting..
I liked the Everest but will agree with you on the diesel fuel only and high price, decided to hang on the old ranger (low K's) and go for a smaller more refined vehicle that does not run on diesel.
Geez I hate to imagine the price of the PHEV Ranger & possible Everest when they come on the market.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #32
SapperAstro
Starter Motor

Quote:
We went looking for a replacement for our Territory and our local Ford dealership showed an Everest to the wife. She took one look, laughed then walked out of the place. Ended up going elsewhere & haven't looked back since. Looking to buy another car again and won't be stepping foot back into a Ford dealership.. I'm done. 90k for a tractor made in a third world country.. no thanks.
We are in the same boat here. The Territory seems irreplaceable, even the opposition vehicles don't have the same power, luggage space, ride and so on. Unless you spend an absolute fortune on some CX90 or something...
SapperAstro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #33
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperAstro View Post
We are in the same boat here. The Territory seems irreplaceable, even the opposition vehicles don't have the same power, luggage space, ride and so on. Unless you spend an absolute fortune on some CX90 or something...
Yeah I think you're right.. the Territory was right on the sweet spot when it comes to value for money. Even Hyundai are asking mid-60s for anything close to a Terra.

I drove the CX60 phev & petrol versions late last year and was pretty underwhelmed. Hard suspension, sounded pretty average (surprised given it's a generated sound..), clucked badly in reverse, and let's be honest isn't the most pritiest thing to look at. The Phev version was just over 100k for the Azami spec. Apparently they've revised the suspension & trans calibration now, but the train has left the station for us now so i wouldn't consider one again. Then there's trying to sleep at night knowing you've dropped 105k on a Mazda when you could've bought European for just a little more..
chich is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #34
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suggestion for Ford Territory replacement ..........
Mustang Mach-E body, AWD 5 litre V8, about $65K, Australia only model.
Simples, winner, winner, chicken dinner.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #35
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
In 2021 when we had to replace our FPV-GT with a 'Tow Vehicle' my Wife took the Everest for a test drive and was completely underwhelmed. Unfortunately, she was comparing the acceleration with the GT and I believe she was thinking too much about the features instead of just sitting back and experiencing the ride.

I convinced her to go back for a second test drive a few weeks later and the response was completely the opposite. She fell in love with it and we placed an order almost immediately. Now I can't get her out of it.

So if you are still in the market, ask your wife to keep an open mind and take a test drive. Surely, it has to be an improvement on the Territory.
The new Everest is a great car, but it's better than a Territory in powertrain/towing and extra tech.....for driving dynamics and comfort it's not...now if the tech could be reversed engineered and the powertrain dropped into the Terry engine bay...it would make it one of the best SUV's on the road once again...I think they would have named it SZIII (or TA ) or whatever the new model might have been named if a program was instigated.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Today, 12:30 PM   #36
SapperAstro
Starter Motor

Quote:
Yeah I think you're right.. the Territory was right on the sweet spot when it comes to value for money. Even Hyundai are asking mid-60s for anything close to a Terra. I drove the CX60 phev & petrol versions late last year and was pretty underwhelmed. Hard suspension, sounded pretty average (surprised given it's a generated sound..), clucked badly in reverse, and let's be honest isn't the most pritiest thing to look at. The Phev version was just over 100k for the Azami spec. Apparently they've revised the suspension & trans calibration now, but the train has left the station for us now so i wouldn't consider one again. Then there's trying to sleep at night knowing you've dropped 105k on a Mazda when you could've bought European for just a little more..
Eh, if I dropped a whole load of cash on a Euro, I would be kept awake at night counting dollar figures for any repairs that would crop up (and they would).

We have tried just about everything in a similar "segment" to the Territory, and it has been found wanting, with addition that the price of all these possible replacements is through the roof. Our Territory was one of the lower end models when we bought it new in 2016, and has the Barra engine. The new possible replacements usually have gutless engines in the lower specs, and even these are super expensive.

Plenty of life left in Territory, and thankfully I have looked after it, so there's no hurry. Mrs just got the usual "oh but it's getting old" thing going. She has quietened down after test driving the possible "upgrades" haha.
SapperAstro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Today, 01:03 PM   #37
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep in the same boat here, possible upgrades of Territory are all missing something, whether it be size/power/comfort/ride/handling/practicality/full time AWD/fuel type. And then the price/value for money equation. But that's the world we live in now.

Last edited by Sprintey; Today at 01:10 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 03:32 PM   #38
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Yep in the same boat here, possible upgrades of Territory are all missing something, whether it be size/power/comfort/ride/handling/practicality/full time AWD/fuel type. And then the price/value for money equation. But that's the world we live in now.
We got dropped off at the football recently by family friends, a 2016 Petrol Territory, we sat in the back.

I swear it was the best ride we’ve experienced in the back seat of a family car, the Territory was amazing. I told him it was fantastic, and he smiled.

We have a 2023.25 Escape Vignale and a 2016 Mustang, that Territory was Amazing I feel like playing that add from 2004:

https://youtu.be/H3OZ94ToVis?si=e16iw2fZOBJv2VDJ
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 04:00 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
We got dropped off at the football recently by family friends, a 2016 Petrol Territory, we sat in the back.

I swear it was the best ride we’ve experienced in the back seat of a family car, the Territory was amazing. I told him it was fantastic, and he smiled.

We have a 2023.25 Escape Vignale and a 2016 Mustang, that Territory was Amazing I feel like playing that add from 2004:

https://youtu.be/H3OZ94ToVis?si=e16iw2fZOBJv2VDJ
And an amazing price on that advert.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 05:54 PM   #40
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Eh, if I dropped a whole load of cash on a Euro, I would be kept awake at night counting dollar figures for any repairs that would crop up (and they would).
Might want to have a chat to my mate who recently had to change the fuel rail in his 2015 diesel Territory Titanium. $1500 supply only from Ford vs $250 from an online store in QLD for a brand new OEM JLR equivalent. The point here is that if you don't do your research and just go for the easiest or most convenient option when out of warranty, then it'll cost you dearly, European or not.

And as for the European cars having a bad reputation, our Territory (2016 petrol Titanium purchased new) has been the most unreliable car I've had in my 25yrs on the road. Sagging door trims, faulty door module, bushes flogged out in 20K kms, leaky front cover, intermittent ICC, broken heater (dash out job), leaky front strut, the list goes on.. all in less than 60K kms. Bloody thing has been at the dealer more times for warranty work than servicing.

Quote:
We have tried just about everything in a similar "segment" to the Territory, and it has been found wanting, with addition that the price of all these possible replacements is through the roof. Our Territory was one of the lower end models when we bought it new in 2016, and has the Barra engine. The new possible replacements usually have gutless engines in the lower specs, and even these are super expensive.
Keep looking.. there are many options out there - Subaru, Mazda, Volvo, BMW, etc. Yes they're more expensive, but (.. as much as I hate saying this) at the end of the day they are better cars. Unfortunately the market has moved on and good, practical, no-fuss, reasonably priced cars like the Territory just don't exist anymore.
chich is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 06:57 PM   #41
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Might want to have a chat to my mate who recently had to change the fuel rail in his 2015 diesel Territory Titanium. $1500 supply only from Ford vs $250 from an online store in QLD for a brand new OEM JLR equivalent. The point here is that if you don't do your research and just go for the easiest or most convenient option when out of warranty, then it'll cost you dearly, European or not.

And as for the European cars having a bad reputation, our Territory (2016 petrol Titanium purchased new) has been the most unreliable car I've had in my 25yrs on the road. Sagging door trims, faulty door module, bushes flogged out in 20K kms, leaky front cover, intermittent ICC, broken heater (dash out job), leaky front strut, the list goes on.. all in less than 60K kms. Bloody thing has been at the dealer more times for warranty work than servicing.

Keep looking.. there are many options out there - Subaru, Mazda, Volvo, BMW, etc. Yes they're more expensive, but (.. as much as I hate saying this) at the end of the day they are better cars. Unfortunately the market has moved on and good, practical, no-fuss, reasonably priced cars like the Territory just don't exist anymore.
spot on bold you quoted.
Long gone family mid to large cars are long term ownership as in the past we grew up with.
Well you can be lucky on some brands but generally no more inline 6 motors easy maintenance etcetc...unless you buy old models and your that type doing so.
Euro's are great driving modes of DD depending the type that suits your needs - out of WTY is always the gamble again you might be lucky and you might know a good Independant Euro workshop you can save some dollars.
I'm fortunate to own pretty late model euro with WTY and low k's, once I get towards 70/80k will be flipped thats my way to avoid those scary what ifs.
In the meantime the driving and ownership is very satisfying being an Enthusiast.
I do not care of the depreciation might I add, if you have those concerns don't buy.
On the other hand for others you can't beat Jap/Korean modes of DDrivers especially with their good long WTY's of today.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 08:07 PM   #42
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
good long WTY's of today.
and this, especially. most buyers these days don't really care about driving the car, but with capped servicing and 7/8/9 year warranty, even the most average drivers' car flies off the forecourt
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post