Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #661
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Yes. More common then not in this industry it's who you know, not what you know.
It's more of a family affair sometimes with mum, dad, kids , uncles etc all working at the one joint. Even their friends from the other side of the country get a foot in because of who they know.
It is disappointing when you have been in the line up for years and someone jumps to the head of the line with just one interview and no experience.
Seen it happen to often. The buddy system at it best.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #662
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Seen it happen to often. The buddy system at it best.
massive lols how incompetant dicks get in to upper positions...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #663
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

We've lost a few guys at work, to the mines. Cat Dealers in Aus are in a spin, because they can not compete with the mining $$$.

The only thing I think of, when it all goes bust (mining boom) one day, going to be lots of people scrambling back to the Eastern side of Aus, looking for jobs, but most will be cashed up, unless they have been silly with their savings.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #664
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I saw an ad in the Herald Sun today (Saturday 3rd) looking for dump truck drivers for the mines. Think you have to have your HC licence and they're looking for around 12 or so people. Think it mentioned things like helping you relocate etc.

Might be on the Herald Sun website or if anyone wants to know more about it I'm sure I can find it and copy and paste it from the paper.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #665
v gate

just last week had a blocked number ringing me non stop while i was on nites. turns out that a recruitment co was trying to do a ref check on a open crane op. he still got the job by ringing on a blocked phone and sayin it was me
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #666
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v gate
just last week had a blocked number ringing me non stop while i was on nites. turns out that a recruitment co was trying to do a ref check on a open crane op. he still got the job by ringing on a blocked phone and sayin it was me
lols.. im reffo for bros all the time....
Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #667
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be considered for these positions, you MUST have Black Coal Competencies or Site Authorisations for one or more of the following machinery:

This has been the biggest stumbling block for myself, as an operator trying to get a look in. 90% of ads state this.

Then the recruitment agencies are pretty devilish, they just stack their books with your details till the right qualifications come along, all the while telling you that your in with a shot, just got to wait it out, incase they cant get better than you, then you maybe in with a shot at an interview.

On another note, i scored a gig, phone call on the 25th saying that my details got put in backlog by mistake from when i applied for a position 2 months ago (refer paragraph above this ) asking when can you start!
Got my medical redone straight away because it just lapsed by a few weeks , got bma and generic hard cards, phone call telling me i'm booked for site induction thursday, away i go. Not even an interview!!!

Fingers crossed I do alright, although i'm confident, just going to be operating bigger excavators than i'm used to. Still construction though, not mining, just building one of the new mines
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #668
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Well done Jason ....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #669
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 days into S11 course and i havnt learnt a thing. Only 1 day to go. Start on site Tuesday.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #670
gtfpv
GT

I was talking to a friend today who has a mate in high places at olympic dam . he says they cant retain people there , people cant cut the mustard . a very high percentage of new starters finish up very very quickly for multiple reasons .people must remember that money isn't thrown at you , you earn it your workin for it . and the pay is relative to the position , there is no such thing as easy money .somehow people don't realize that a dollar has a value .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #671
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Job Scored Start on the 15th in Coppabella at Mac 1

A certain member (Jason)will recieve a BIG financial bonus this Christmas for helping me !!

I won't sleep tonight...
Old 09-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #672
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did walk out of mine today. Gives you a real work out walking 1km uphill in mining gear.
Start Tuesday.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #673
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plant operator jobs on LNG at Curtis island, Gladstone.

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/plant-ope...sbane/21077617

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #674
Gavin.S
Starter Motor

I work at a Rio Tinto site called Brockman 4 as a Light Vehicle Fitter
Old 11-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #675
AGS302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
let's just say that the BMA owned Isaac Plains mine is close enough that my house moves around when ever they blast. the latest government "approved mine", also owned by BMA, is slightly closer but in the opposite direction. basically Moranbah has 2 open cut pits and a longwall underground operation within 5 km's as the crow fly's, of the town. close enough for you Wombat? none of these mines were present when i first bought my house here as little as 7 years ago.

*edit BMA is a joint venture between BHP Billiton and Mitsubishi,
Issac Plains is owned by Aquilla Resources and Vale(50/50).
AGS302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #676
Addz08
"FEED IT"

I,ve got Surface & Underground generics, Metaliforous, Coal board Medical, Qualified Mechanic, Fork lift ticket, Overhead Bridge/Gantry crane ticket, Whitecard and can,t even get a look in...

About a month ago I decided to go to Emerald to try and get something, but nothing.... Couldn't even get a labouring/ Trade assistant job, Been trying solidly for probably 2 years, running out of idea's...

I thought they were screaming for people because of a so-called skills shortage, and here I am a qualified mechanic of all things, and can't get a thing...
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #677
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatbag
I've been in the mines for about 6 years now. 2 years at Woodie woodie and 4 at Cloudbreak. I work in the labs testing all the grades for the ore. Nice easy air conned office job

From everything I have seen, The mining companies scream black an blue that they can't find workers, but the people applying for the jobs cry black and blue they can't get a job.

I know at least in my company, we haven't advertised for a position in years. We have a list a mile long of people working for our company in Perth that are keen as mustard to get site so there is no need.

Most other big companies don't advertise entry level positions since everyone working on site has a mate or family friend that is hassling them for a job. It becomes more of who you know than anything else. The problem is everyone sounds eager to work, but you get them on site and halfway through their first stint want to go home and be with their family.

M favourites are the ones who come up and think they are going to be the king cheese in 3 months time. You give them the entry level jobs which are incredibly repetitive, mind numbing and isolated and they complain they are too good for it. They end up making mistakes all day so they don't get moved up and whinge they aren't getting the positions they signed up for.

My best employee now is an east timorese guy who struggles with English. If I ask him to mop the floors it doesn't only get done straight away, but he then does it everyday without being asked. Most Aussies I get have a strop that is they wanted to clean they would get a job a a cleaner. If we get a job that is full of sloppy wet samples that take a lot of effort to prepare, the Aussies will all put aside pretending they didn't see them while the east timorese guy will go straight for them and get it done without complaint.

Talking with a lot of the older generation they all suggest the same thing, the reason work is being outsourced to foreigners is because they are actually willing to do it. Not because they are cheaper - they get paid the same. Too many kids these days expect to walk into a supervisor / mangers role straight out of highschool with out putting the hard yards in.

I,ll come mop the floors for ya!!!!! Keen as!!!!
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Old 13-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #678
Road Games

Thumbs up Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addz08
I,ve got Surface & Underground generics, Metaliforous, Coal board Medical, Qualified Mechanic, Fork lift ticket, Overhead Bridge/Gantry crane ticket, Whitecard and can,t even get a look in...

About a month ago I decided to go to Emerald to try and get something, but nothing.... Couldn't even get a labouring/ Trade assistant job, Been trying solidly for probably 2 years, running out of idea's...

I thought they were screaming for people because of a so-called skills shortage, and here I am a qualified mechanic of all things, and can't get a thing...
I will send you a PM this arvo ...
Old 13-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #679
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
I will send you a PM this arvo ...

Cool!! Thanks mate!!!
Old 13-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #680
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Job Scored Start on the 15th in Coppabella at Mac 1

A certain member (Jason)will recieve a BIG financial bonus this Christmas for helping me !!

I won't sleep tonight...
Doing what exactly ?
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #681
Road Games

Why you wish to know ?
Old 13-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #682
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Why you wish to know ?
Why not? You embarrassed what you might be doing ?
Old 13-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #683
Road Games

No, not at all ...
Old 13-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #684
I reckon
Banned

So what is it ?
Old 13-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #685
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL...well I am up in FNQ...well just about. Its hot and the water is rubbish but the rest is pretty good. Doing a week of training, just finished surface and doing underground tomorrow.

Its certainly a different world.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #686
Road Games

Congrats mate

There is a huge meet up around the christmas break up , i cannot wait to see how many of us know each other on here ...
Old 13-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #687
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy
So what is it ?
Try using manners my friend.. I don't appreciate your tone hence i won't be answering you !
Old 13-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #688
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL...well I am up in FNQ...well just about. Its hot and the water is rubbish but the rest is pretty good. Doing a week of training, just finished surface and doing underground tomorrow.

Its certainly a different world.
congrats bud, enjoy..
Old 13-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #689
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Try using manners my friend.. I don't appreciate your tone hence i won't be answering you !
lol@mr.important.com
Old 13-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #690
Road Games

Lol indeed....