Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
mowog
Discovery 4

Default Ipswich Motorway

For anyone who is interested in the crap fight that is the Ipswich Motorway there is now a forum that you can post comments on.

http://www.ipswichmotorwayforum.com/

I have nothing to do with this forum I just thought some of you might be interested.

Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
1970galaxie
Fat 460

But why?
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970galaxie
But why?
I take it that your not a Queenslander?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
For anyone who is interested in the crap fight that is the Ipswich Motorway there is now a forum that you can post comments on.

Why is there so much stuff going on about the Ipswich Motorway?
I'm not a regular user but have driven on it many times travelling to QR and it seems like any other road to me. Any time there's a crash on it the media give it top exposure yet there are crashes all over the state every day that we don't see (not that we want to).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Why is there so much stuff going on about the Ipswich Motorway?
I'm not a regular user but have driven on it many times travelling to QR and it seems like any other road to me. Any time there's a crash on it the media give it top exposure yet there are crashes all over the state every day that we don't see (not that we want to).
The Goodna Exit Logan entry is one prime example of whats wrong. From Goodna you enter on the left if you want the Logan motorway you have to find away across in about 400m in light traffic no problems. In heavy traffic people do stupid things. And some people just wont let others move across. To compond the problem there is a slight uphill section and people slow down on this section for some reason. You also have people slowing down for the exit in the right hand lane. The inbound side on the same section is worse you have an entry from the logan motorway coming into the right lane just after a long curve in the road.

A lot of the problems are how people drive on this road (and every road in Australia) but bad engineering has componded the problem.

The road just doesnt have enough lanes to cope with the volume of traffic.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Under no circumstances should any "motorway or freeway" class road have right-handed exits or entries period.

If you have a loved one who dies as a result, owing the contributory actions of same, do seek legal redress with a view to sue the operator or owner. Such a fight takes years, but is justice.

I hate saying it, but really it is the only way sometimes to get a message across, or more the point 'action' so that someone else doesn't suffer.

I apply the same criticisim to Sydney's hopeless, 'dumb' - yet newish M5 East and the soon to be opened Lane Cove works.

Self, NRMA have for years asked, neigh demanded, that RTA and 'Consultants' bear this prime principle in mind, even if it means paying more initially for the road.

One of the reasons why we sometimes end up with right-handed entries and exits, particularly in city areas, is owing original road design input 'meddling' by local government types and advocacy from them and ignorant residential groups. This is why Sydney's Gore Hill freeway (yeah right) has the dreaded and untidy Reserve Road Interchange.

The Ipswich motorway is NOT to current motorway design. Those of you residing in the area should keep a close eye on future plans to ensure NO right handed exits or entries sneak into the picture.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
mr scotto
mk 1 capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
The Goodna Exit Logan entry is one prime example of whats wrong. From Goodna you enter on the left if you want the Logan motorway you have to find away across in about 400m in light traffic no problems. In heavy traffic people do stupid things. And some people just wont let others move across. To compond the problem there is a slight uphill section and people slow down on this section for some reason. You also have people slowing down for the exit in the right hand lane. The inbound side on the same section is worse you have an entry from the logan motorway coming into the right lane just after a long curve in the road.

A lot of the problems are how people drive on this road (and every road in Australia) but bad engineering has componded the problem.

The road just doesnt have enough lanes to cope with the volume of traffic.
I totaly aggree with you on that.
if any one not from brisbane plans to enter/exit brisbane from the western side of town in peak hours i would suggest to try another time, or have a lap top for somthing to do if theres a stack.
(you have the web address above to go to)
mr scotto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
*snip*
A little birdy once told me that the reason they have those extremely dangerous right-hand entry/exits on the Ipswich Motorway was that the state (national party) govt. minister at the time was trying desperately to 'do it all on the cheap' and hence the design decision. I believe the minister at the time was the now deceased Russ Hinze but I am not certain. Penny pinching, more or less, results in death. But people don't want to pay higher taxes either so what can you do?

Off topic, I believe the M1 here in Brisbane is probably the best 'freeway/highway' in SEQ and even it has its share of problems. I think its a toss-up between the Ipswich and Gateway motorways for the worst road. They've re-surfaced the section between Bracken Ridge and the Pine River bridge upteen times in the past year (it keeps falling apart because they don't do it properly and the original foundations for the road were not done properly either). Talk about a waste of money - had it been done properly in the first place they wouldn't have to keep re-surfacing it.