Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would this be a more sensible option?
Certified Advanced Driver Trained "P" Plate 62 65.96%
Why do you need a performance car anyway? 32 34.04%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #151
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Have you driven at 160km/h, 200km/h, 250km/h, not just a burst but sustained?
In regards to that Flappist, I believe that that is a big issue. I have driven at speeds between 180km/h and 230km/h for sustained periods of time (about 25 minutes per run) at least a couple of times a week for a few years now. Yet I believe that people who just do a "burst" up to a certain speed are very dangerous, as they are obviously just trying to push the limits of themselves and their car, and most of all it's dangerous because it's usually inexperienced people with "i wonder how fast she'll go" mentality.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #152
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
No, I have read the thread. I'm aware of your age and what you drive. I'm also guessing, by the sounds of it, that you're a responsible driver. You also seem quite mature for your age (I'm not being sarcastic).

If you refer to my earlier post 21 of this thread, I hope you can see my comments in post 144 were coming from experience rather than generalisation. I can only speak from what I've seen myself do at that age, and, for that matter, what I've seen as a passenger with other P platers. We were too "hot blooded" and impatient at that age, and I was lucky not to be a statistic. And the only thing that "woke" me up was a head on collision.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't know what the absolute solution is. Maybe we should let people learn from their mistakes(wouldn't wish it on anyone). It worked for me.

A good idea imo would be to have any young driver who's had a speeding/neg driving ticket, instead of paying $200-$300 for that ticket, they would be made to pay for (and attend) some road awareness/safety driving course. At least we then know where that moneys going!!!
Thanks mate, to be honest most of my frustration seems to lie with my own age group, and not just on the issue of Cars/Licencing...

But what tops off that frustration is the government trying band aid efforts to "Solve" the problem instead of seriously trying to fix the road toll, it is a major issue and something must be done.

This Power/Weight BS has been brought in in NSW and DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM, i want the rule gone not because "It's not fair" but because it had no effect, and the issue off Teen Deaths on our Roads needs some serious attention. :
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #153
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Thanks mate, to be honest most of my frustration seems to lie with my own age group, and not just on the issue of Cars/Licencing...

But what tops off that frustration is the government trying band aid efforts to "Solve" the problem instead of seriously trying to fix the road toll, it is a major issue and something must be done.

This Power/Weight BS has been brought in in NSW and DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM, i want the rule gone not because "It's not fair" but because it had no effect, and the issue off Teen Deaths on our Roads needs some serious attention. :
Be honest, this has nothing to do with you're concern for road safety does it?
The only reason you and the other kids are bleating is because "Dad" took the high powered "lolly pop" away from you didnt he...
This is an indignant hissy fit because you've been told what you can't have... "how dare someone tell me what i can or can't have"...
This "restriction" is totally at odds with today's youth menatality of rights without responsibilities, you're all taught at school now from an early age that you have all these "rights", and all this "power".. now weve got kids sueing their parents, sueing their teachers etc......

Im sorry but this whole crusade to discredit the attempts of the govt to curb youth road deaths reaks of "spoilt brat"..

Old 29-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #154
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The only reason you and the other kids are bleating is because "Dad" took the high powered "lolly pop" away from you didnt he...
This is an indignant hissy fit because you've been told what you can't have... "how dare someone tell me what i can or can't have"...
This "restriction" is totally at odds with today's youth menatality of rights without responsibilities, you're all taught at school now from an early age that you have all these "rights", and all this "power".. now weve got kids sueing their parents, sueing their teachers etc......

Im sorry but this whole crusade to discredit the attempts of the govt to curb youth road deaths reaks of "spoilt brat"..
What gives you, me or anyone else the right to say we have more experience than someone else on the road?? You can go on and on about your unsubstantiated talents on the road but when it boils down to it you have no more proof than some pimply face kid that you can drive a high powered car safely. Vote grabing BS is what it is, something to get older people nodding their heads in front of a television. If the government was serious about road safety they would spend money on education, training and road development not some half arsed stop gap measure that won't have any measurable effect.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #155
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
What gives you, me or anyone else the right to say we have more experience than someone else on the road?? You can go on and on about your unsubstantiated talents on the road but when it boils down to it you have no more proof than some pimply face kid that you can drive a high powered car safely. Vote grabing BS is what it is, something to get older people nodding their heads in front of a television. If the government was serious about road safety they would spend money on education, training and road development not some half arsed stop gap measure that won't have any measurable effect.
I think if someone has over 500,000 miles and 20 years driving experience and zero at fault accident's to boot then they could reasonably claim to be "experienced" at driving..
20 years on from when i got my licence i feel im qualified to say ive learn a hell of allot in 20 years and over 500,000 k's without an at fault accident.
Ive only had one not at fault accident: my wife and i were nearly killed when a 19 y/o P Plater lost control of his VL Turbo on a wet road and speared across double white lines head on into my vehicle @ what the police determined to be over 100 kph in a 60 zone....
To cap it off the moron appologised to the police and said he was sorry but "his turbo kicked in and he lost control".....

I also lost a very close friend when her 20 yo B/F lost control and slammed his 351 powered XB into a telegraph pole @ 150 kph in a 60 zone... Out the front of my house none the less.

So id say im pretty qualified (and lucky to be alive) to say that young drivers do not need the added risk of having to be responsible for driving safely while coming to terms with high powered cars too....

Last edited by 4Vman; 29-01-2007 at 06:16 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #156
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think if someone has over 500,000 miles and 20 years driving experience and zero at fault accident's to boot then they could reasonably claim to be "experienced" at driving..
20 years on from when i got my licence i feel im qualified to say ive learn a hell of allot in 20 years and over 500,000 k's without an at fault accident.
Ive only had one not at fault accident: my wife and i were nearly killed when a 19 y/o P Plater lost control of his VL Turbo on a wet road and speared across double white lines head on into my vehicle @ what the police determined to be over 100 kph in a 60 zone....
So here we see the source of your hostility towards P platers, my point was I could have had a licence for 10 years and have 500k under my belt or I could have 10k, my saying one way or the other is not justification that I can drive. By your logic a taxi driver would have to be an awesome driver purely by miles covered.
Old 29-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #157
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So here we see the source of your hostility towards P platers, my point was I could have had a licence for 10 years and have 500k under my belt or I could have 10k, my saying one way or the other is not justification that I can drive. By your logic a taxi driver would have to be an awesome driver purely by miles covered.
Its not a trivial matter i assure you, and yes i do take it seriously, to see your own life and the people you love lives flash before your eyes, or worse still to try to resuscitate a dearly loved friend who ends up dieing in your arms needlessly.... is EXTREMELY truamatic, and life changing.

I have no hostility towards the vast majority of decent well behaived P Platers, but id be a fool to assume most young drivers are mature enough to resist temptation to "push her to its limits" if in control of a high powered vehicle.. Its simply too greater risk, unfortunatly ive seen the consequenses of it far too many times...

Last edited by 4Vman; 29-01-2007 at 06:38 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #158
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:

I have no hostility towards the vast majority of decent well behaived P Platers, but id be a fool to assume young drivers are mature enough to resist temptation to "push her to its limits" if in control of a high powered vehicle.. Its simply too greater risk.
pfft, driven a fpv 285rwkw, never pushed it to the limits.
Bursts yes, but to the limit NO Im not stupid...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #159
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

Honsetly mate, i could care less what you or anyone else on this forum thinks of me and my views.

Spoilt brat.. quite funny.. i don't know too many other people than not only bought their 1st car with zero not a cent of assistance from their parents, and that car happened to be worth around $30,000

I also don't know too many other people that have moved from one side of the country to the other to be able to afford what they have wanted since they were 10.

The governments attempts to fix the issue of teen deaths have been nothing but a band aid, and for the govenments to beat their chest in the public eye about how they are "Trying".

Wish there were more people out there who wanted a solution to the issue rather than the im older then you so i have right of way, seriously mate go watch your ACA & TT like the Polititions would like you too and leave this thread to the people who wish to fix the problem like RIPGMH.

If you wish to Abuse me again, feel free to PM me im a big boy now... :togo:
Old 29-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #160
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

[QUOTE=FPV8U]

Wish there were more people out there who wanted a solution to the issue rather than the im older then you so i have right of way, seriously mate go watch your ACA & TT like the Polititions would like you too and leave this thread to the people who wish to fix the problem like RIPGMH.

..AND THATS THE TRUTH..
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #161
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Honsetly mate, i could care less what you or anyone else on this forum thinks of me and my views.

Spoilt brat.. quite funny.. i don't know too many other people than not only bought their 1st car with zero not a cent of assistance from their parents, and that car happened to be worth around $30,000

I also don't know too many other people that have moved from one side of the country to the other to be able to afford what they have wanted since they were 10.

The governments attempts to fix the issue of teen deaths have been nothing but a band aid, and for the govenments to beat their chest in the public eye about how they are "Trying".

If you wish to Abuse me again, feel free to PM me im a big boy now... :togo:
The current affairs programs serve a purpose to make people aware of issues, they serve a purpose for the vast majority of their stories, if for nothing more than to raise awareness, regardless of what side they take, or if you agree or dissagree, (for the record i have little spare time to watch them!).
Smart people form their own opinions without feeling the need to censure themselves for fear of being "brain washed or misslead"..
Im not sure why you feel there is some kind of conspiracy lead by either the govt or "oldies" against young drivers and they want to punish them by taking away their toys without any regard for their safety.. do you lie awake at night worrying about aliens coming to get you too?
In any event like ive said earlier, this is not meant to be a personal attack against you or any other young driver, you're pasionate about your position which in itself is admirable, but you must accept that if you take a position that is strongly left of centre or skew of logic or common sense then people will challenge it!

Old 29-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #162
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How boring would this place be without the odd argument?
Old 29-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #163
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
In any event like ive said earlier, this is not meant to be a personal attack against you or any other young driver, you're pasionate about your position which in itself is admirable, but you must accept that if you take a position that is strongly left of centre or skew of logic or common sense then people will challenge it!
4Vman how i am meant to take post #153 for anything but a personal attack is beyond me...Anyway.. i enjoy a good debate and as you can probably tell i don't feel my opinion is the that is listened too often enough.

if we turned to some of the more mature people my age for guidence on how to get this activity out of teenagers heads and off the streets im certain we would have more success.

Quote:
Im not sure why you feel there is some kind of conspiracy lead by either the govt or "oldies" against young drivers and they want to punish them by taking away their toys without any regard for their safety.. do you lie awake at night worrying about aliens coming to get you too?
Maybe you should re-read some of the things i have already written as i feel like im repeating myself.

Quote:
How boring would this place be without the odd argument?
Nothing wrong with a good old debate... :
Old 30-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #164
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

LOL! what a load of crap, everyone is arguing and making zero progress.
Anyways, I've asked a few people about this, and from their answers, it seems they think they can be even more invincible, eg. "if im going sick, i can just get out of it.simple." that was the mentality of alot of people i talked to....food for thought...
Personally i couldnt care less, all i know is im restricted to 5.0L which is good for me, as my engine number says i have a 302 and i havent been bore checked, and i wont be, It took a close call to get me to calm down, and ever since ive been extremely cautious, and if i need to vent, i have 17 acres to do it.
BTW, Im almost 20. have a 27y.o car, a 351, never had a fine, or been pulled up randomly.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #165
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
if i need to vent, i have 17 acres to do it.
I used to have this luxury, we had 130 acres and yet no stock, so my brother and I grew up with a plethora of vehicles and land to play with, good times
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #166
dishpig
Only an xr6...

One of the things that puts people off speeding the most is crashing. So throw the P-plater into a passenger seat and slam the car into a pole at 50ks that should get the idea threw his or her head.
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #167
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishpig
One of the things that puts people off speeding the most is crashing. So throw the P-plater into a passenger seat and slam the car into a pole at 50ks that should get the idea threw his or her head.
It seems like a reasonable comment then you press "Submit Reply" and wonder what the hell you were thinking :
Old 31-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #168
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im 19, had my license for over a year and a half now, and I consider myself as a relatively safe driver. Im by no means a highly skilled driver, or any better than any other average driver out there. Ive made mistakes and done some silly things, but never deliberately. I think the problem is that alot of teenagers dont care and treat it as a bit of fun and games/race. They try to be the hero.

Wether you put the foot down, take a corner fast, tailgate, your gonna get there in the same time. No one is gonna be impressed when your wrapped around a pole or up someones ***, or if you kill someone and/or yourself. The roads are dangerous enough as it is with someone being a ******** and putting anyone at any extra risk for no reason what so ever. GOTO THE TRACK IF YOU WANNA RACE.

As for advanced or defensive driver courses, I dont know if it would make any difference. But I think some people, especially young adults, want to test the limit of thier car and themselves, goto the track. Go as hard as you like, get your frustrations out and be sensible on the road.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post