Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 26-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
XW_GS
Paulie

Default Drag Racing and Sandown Will it ever happen??

This question has been lingering for ever.

Will it ever Happen??

Certainly has the length for a 1/4 mile strip ....run off lenght ..i dont know
at worst case they can give us an 1/8th Mile bit of tarmac....

Does anyone know the why's and why nots???

Really ..it is a motor racetrack!!!

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGS351
This question has been lingering for ever.

Will it ever Happen??

Certainly has the length for a 1/4 mile strip ....run off lenght ..i dont know
at worst case they can give us an 1/8th Mile bit of tarmac....

Does anyone know the why's and why nots???

Really ..it is a motor racetrack!!!
Doubt it, id say Davidson has no real interest in drag racing.. he's a circuit racing purist, i doubt he'd want to spend the money modifying the circuit.

Old 26-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Noise issues are also a concern at sandown

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Easternats will be the closest thing you'll see there at once a year, would be perfect for Sandown to have something happening there but i believe the locals try pretty hard to stop most car events there due to noise. Its a shame though. Maybe we all could just meet at Noble Park maccas, 5 mins down the road LOL.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

And the quarter mile traction gunk is meant to make the circuit more slippery in the wet (that’s what happens at Calder).

I don’t know if the straight is flat enough for the drags (it feels flat when circuit racing). Dig up the track for timing sensors.

I agree that Davidson (the owner) comes from a purist circuit racing family, but drift and the Easternats are hardly “true” circuit racing. If minimal changes are required to get more $$$ coming in then maybe they will look at it. Remember the changes to the track so that it could handle WSC back in the 80’s?
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

factor in also the rules and regs to drag racing it isnt that simple.
i know here in sydney WSID are the only ones that are allowed to do full track unrestricted drag racing with slicks and track-only tires that is why all the oran park and now the easter creek track are always "street style racing" ie cars must have an exhaust pipe and street tyres.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Davison does not control racing at Sandown any more, Sandown are now going to do it themselves. There was an announcement late last year.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Never ever.......

1.Too suburburn
2.Too many complaints during easternats
3. Now since 'Noble Park' incident.....council wouldnt like it

These 3 are enough to put a dampner on it once and for all!

Easier to push for one Cranbourne or Packenham way. Just nedd someone to build it!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 01:44 AM   #9
XW_GS
Paulie

its sad though...

having a complex like Sandown and it hardly being used

..im sure the owners will make a few dollars out of the entry & racing fees.... you recon Uncle Bob will stop Friday nights when housing developments get too close to Calder Park??

the track was there first..

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
3. Now since 'Noble Park' incident.....council wouldnt like it
I would have thought that especially after something like this that council but in particular Police might be looking to do something to try to give people an option.

A Saturday would be ideal, run it till say 9:30pm this way it finishes early enough for noise as well as for those who still want to head out clubbing/pubbing for the night.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #11
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
I would have thought that especially after something like this that council but in particular Police might be looking to do something to try to give people an option.
Exactly you need to give people more options and encourage them to take it off the streets.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
XFALCONX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR

A Saturday would be ideal, run it till say 9:30pm this way it finishes early enough for noise as well as for those who still want to head out clubbing/pubbing for the night.
That's a fair call,regarding the noise pollution issues it's possible to have restictions or a dba level test on cars that wish to participate after all it's mostly street type oriented type cars that will mostly participate anyway.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 12:34 AM   #13
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Yes that would be the thinking but like many auto regulations in this state, most of it is based on what LOOKS right.......not what IS the right thing. The biggest arguement is that the 'hoons'......god I hate that term now.......will hang around once its finished and this venue would attract too many to one area in the middle of suburbia. Very unfortunate

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #14
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Championship Drag racing will never work in the suburbs. In this fickle sport we need a facility that has no curfews due to oil downs and accidents that always creep into a program there has to be "extra time available" for the racers to turn these cars around.

Having said that it don't matter what we have in this country in the way of facilities with our current administration running the sport we are doomed.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
Chris
AFF.com.au

Gulp, deep breath and flame suit on..................

If the circuit racing dorks (oops, did i say that) pulled their fingers out of their a r s e s, they could make it happen, but they wont, because they are dorks.

Circuit Racing is plagued by people who think they are royalty, and you mostly need a "name" to be a circuit driver.

Few people on this forum know this, but my childhood was spent growing up with a very sucessful V8 Ford supercar driver. I raced junior motorcross with him, and played football with him at Yarrambat until we both turned 18. Both our fathers were mechanics who did work for each other, and i can tell you right now that this individual worked his butt off for his drive, and deserves his sucess.

The circuit racing hierarchy is not interested in drag racing, they are more interested in what the son of a son of a son of a son of a former world champ will do in a controll class GTI swift ricer pay-for-your drive deal.

This is why it wont work. "Silver spoon in the a r s e " syndrome.

There are about 6-12 circuit racers on this forum (Grnkpr is my personal favorite) and they are all down to earth, hard working (you need to be for the sport) people that are involved - they aren't who im talking about.

Its the hierarchy. They dont like drag racing, real power scares them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Gulp, deep breath and flame suit on..................

If the circuit racing dorks (oops, did i say that) pulled their fingers out of their a r s e s, they could make it happen, but they wont, because they are dorks.

Circuit Racing is plagued by people who think they are royalty, and you mostly need a "name" to be a circuit driver.

Few people on this forum know this, but my childhood was spent growing up with a very sucessful V8 Ford supercar driver. I raced junior motorcross with him, and played football with him at Yarrambat until we both turned 18. Both our fathers were mechanics who did work for each other, and i can tell you right now that this individual worked his butt off for his drive, and deserves his sucess.

The circuit racing hierarchy is not interested in drag racing, they are more interested in what the son of a son of a son of a son of a former world champ will do in a controll class GTI swift ricer pay-for-your drive deal.

This is why it wont work. "Silver spoon in the a r s e " syndrome.

There are about 6-12 circuit racers on this forum (Grnkpr is my personal favorite) and they are all down to earth, hard working (you need to be for the sport) people that are involved - they aren't who im talking about.

Its the hierarchy. They dont like drag racing, real power scares them.
Well said Chris. There just seems to be so much of a difference in attitude between the two 'species' and one seems to get a lot more attention than the other. I sort of like both, but I prefer drag racing. I just wish there was more attention paid to it, and as you say, better facilities!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #17
Jake F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Exactly you need to give people more options and encourage them to take it off the streets.
FLAME SUIT ON:

Why would they want to push people off the street when they would just
prefer to confiscate people's cars under Bracks's new hoon legislations!

:jab:
Jake F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post