Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #1
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 
Default How to Build the Ultimate AU Boot Install (D/U Warning)

Firstly to those on dial-up I am sorry!

Hey everyone- I have decided to do a few things different with the T3 and as a consequence have chosen to remove my boot install. I love my music so much and I really hope I have made the right move- I believe I have as what I am doing is more where I am heading.

So rather than waste the opportunity I have compose a basic step by step by way of reverse engineering my install. there are a couple of things missing but you will get enough of an idea to decide on whether you like it or it would be suitable- it shows that these installs are neither that difficuilt or obtrsuive (depending on definition!).

I hope some of you learn something from it- I have mentioned before that this setup would be for sale and that stands if you can't be bothered giving it a go yourself.

I would estimate that this would take an average day or day and a half to fully complete with wiring and could probably be done with as little as $80 odd worth of materials- namely 19mm MDF, 10mm MDF, silicone, screws and nails- that's it.

So here we go- I won't do a tutorial unless anyone actually wants any explaination on any of the steps as it's taken me forever so far! Sorry.....

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 12-02-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 12-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 12-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

All done! Sorry for all the pics, but if you were interested you probably won't mind!!
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you silicon the MDF frame to your boot?

Great setup! Shame your taking it out :(
Old 12-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #7
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Did you silicon the MDF frame to your boot?

Great setup! Shame your taking it out :(
Yes mate I did

It's an awesome setup- I will miss it but the weight etc makes it more of a hinderance than anything- I am getting some new door trims and will put a set of top shelf 3 ways in the front doors with some serious power running them and the Eclipse H/U- that way the weight is reduced heaps and SQ is a premium, which will be a good compromise I hope.........

It still hurts taking it out
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
Sean-87

Looks really nice. I wouldn't mind a setup like that which doesn't sacrifice boot space.

What about the lack of spare tire though, hmmmm.

Are you reworking your install?

Edit: Ahh, I see your reasons above.
Sean-87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #9
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too bad your in Perth.. I'm putting mine in, in two weeks hopefully.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:02 AM   #10
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-87
Looks really nice. I wouldn't mind a setup like that which doesn't sacrifice boot space.

What about the lack of spare tire though, hmmmm.

Are you reworking you install?
I've never needed a spare tire in my life (that question comes up in threads all the time) I have one of those slime packs with the goo and compressor if I need it or it's not often that I can't get to a servo or pull up and call the wife to bring the spare, no big deal but as I said- i've done 150,000km in this car with no spare and never have I ever needed one in my whole life........

Going for a very minor reqork- the issue is primarily getting rid of the weight
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 12-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Very nice work.

I'm almost ready to start my audio upgrade (nothing as elaborate as yours) and was wondering if heat was ever an issue for your amps?

I'm guessing not as you would have done something about it but everywhere I read to allow airflow etc for amp cooling.

Interested in your comments...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 01:41 AM   #12
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
Very nice work.

I'm almost ready to start my audio upgrade (nothing as elaborate as yours) and was wondering if heat was ever an issue for your amps?

I'm guessing not as you would have done something about it but everywhere I read to allow airflow etc for amp cooling.

Interested in your comments...
I had contemplated mounting a temp activated fan in the amp housing but it never proved to be an issue at all- if it is a serious concern I would just vent the trim plate aboe it- it should be more than adequate........

This is certainly nothing serious- it's pretty modest but has a few benefits- you don't lose much boot space at all, you still utilise the fold-down seats and the floor become perfectly flat.

ATM I have left the framework there and will just see how it goes- I may end up utilising the idea of the false and flat floor to house a more adequate fuel or even nitrous system down the track a little

The weight is obvious in the systems entireity- the rear end has come up probably close to 10mm- which is great as it has balanced out the height difference from when I went to alloy heads- the height is now spot on I reckon
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5

Last edited by jimt3te50; 12-02-2007 at 01:48 AM. Reason: stupid typing
Old 12-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #13
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
This is certainly nothing serious- it's pretty modest but has a few benefits- you don't lose much boot space at all, you still utilise the fold-down seats and the floor become perfectly flat.

ATM I have left the framework there and will just see how it goes- I may end up utilising the idea of the false and flat floor to house a more adequate fuel or even nitrous system down the track a little
Well, it's not as "modest" as mine will be.

We do a few country trips and even though I haven't had a flat tyre for years, the thought of being stranded between, say, Barcaldine and Longreach doesn't appeal, lol. So, the spare has to stay.

I'll end up with the usual amp under the passenger seat and subby + amp in the boot.
Old 13-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

hmmm I forgot a couple of intermediate step photos!

That should make it easier to follow, sorry for that
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 13-02-2007, 02:09 AM   #15
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Above pics should have been inserted between post 2 and 3
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 13-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did u secure your amp? The fuel tank is right under them.
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

damn nice install there mate,

very nice and neat.!!

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^dude
How did u secure your amp? The fuel tank is right under them.
silicone, pretty much the whole things done with it. simple, effective, strong and reversible..........
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 13-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #19
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmanul
damn nice install there mate,

very nice and neat.!!
thanks buddy- it is practical for me and sounds sensational- obviously you could substitute port design and choice of driver to suit what you want to achieve- for me this was ideal and was exceptionally loud for a single 12" sub in a large car.......

The sub box design was exactly to Kicker's specifications but you could put up to 4 x 15" subs in that space if you wanted.....
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 13-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #20
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Looks good. Very well thought out layout to the system. The whole the setup look so neat tidy.

Are you going to make the front plate for the headunit?
Old 13-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Silly question, but why did you do a boot install. I have premium sound and my amp sits in the factory spot on the side behind the carpet. Wouldn't yours be the same? I don't really understand the concept of a boot install. Where you going to put your spare tyre?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #22
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Silly question, but why did you do a boot install. I have premium sound and my amp sits in the factory spot on the side behind the carpet. Wouldn't yours be the same? I don't really understand the concept of a boot install. Where you going to put your spare tyre?
welll........

the standard amp isnt that large, and there probably isnt enough space for any aftermarket amp, let alone more than 1.

also, Jim said that he hasnt needed a spare tyre yet, and wasnt really fussed about not having it in the car.

each to their own.
Old 13-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
welll........

the standard amp isnt that large, and there probably isnt enough space for any aftermarket amp, let alone more than 1.

also, Jim said that he hasnt needed a spare tyre yet, and wasnt really fussed about not having it in the car.

each to their own.
Ok, well I know nothing about sound and wouldn't care whether my car had an amp or not, as I have no idea what the difference is anyway. Sound is sound to me. As long as it plays a cd, then that's all that matters How different can it really be.

Think I'll be quiet now
Old 13-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #24
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
Think I'll be quiet now
: :
LOL, you're so funny Bucky :nutsycuck :nutsycuck

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #25
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suddenly realised that I was out numbered. So I beat a hasty retreat.

Looks Great Jamie. Nice work there.
Old 13-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #26
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Quote:
because i like my music the way it was intended to be heard- I have the premium sound too and it is crud, really. the standard system has more bass and is on par with overall clarity...........

but nothing compares to a high end aftermarket system and I would have easily invested $6000-7000 already. I do understand it isn't most people's thing but I really do love my music, and getting rid of the spare was a compromise that wasn't immediately attractive to me, but the benefits do outweigh the cons- I get a flat floor and still get to put my seats down and you can barely notice it's there.........

just think it's worth detailing rather than letting the knowledge go to waste- it certainly isn't hard to do
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 13-02-2007, 10:52 PM   #27
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
but nothing compares to a high end aftermarket system
Yeah, I thought the Premium sound was "ok" and probably would have left well enough alone but my daughter's boyfriend had just finished fitting aftermarket sound to his car.

After hearing that, by comparison my factory sound is pretty bloody ordinary and so I started my audio journey...
Old 13-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #28
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

I used to play in a band with my mates and not only enjoy good music but appreciate the tiniest nuances in it- professional musicians spend thousands and thousands of dollars on their instruments let alone the time they put into learning to play them and get them to recording stage to make every detail count when it comes to putting a track together- most stereos never get close to replicating the finished product.

I spend a lot of time in my car and enjoying my music is something I love. This isn't for doof doof crap (although it will do it of course) but once you listen to a good system it becomes clear that anything better than a factory system is light years better.

As I said I honestly believe the stocko AU systems sound better than the "Premium" Ford system- I've heard others say that too.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 14-02-2007, 01:59 AM   #29
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Or too put it in terms bucky can understand ;) :

Ford sound (premium or otherwise) = Stock forte steelies

Midrange aftermarket system = 17" OEM Rims

Highend aftermarket system = 18/19/20 inch bling bling rims

:

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen