Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Morgz88

Exclamation Loud ticking from Injectors?

Hey all,

the injectors in my AU have always had a faint ticking sound about them with the bonnet open at idle.

Lately it has become quite loud, is that an indication they need a good clean or could it be some other problem maybe? Car still seems to be running ok.

Thanks in advance.

Morgz88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
MYEBII
MYEB

Yes,some do tick quite loud,some more than others,wont affect the running
MYEBII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

They are trying to compensate for a lean condition.So they spit more fuel in to compensate.Check ypur map sensor and ego sensor.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Burley
CRE.87V

mine is doing the same thing...does it have a lag at all??? i got told it could be map....get a diagnostic done to check for error codes
Burley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #5
rednaxelar
Starter Motor

Smile

Hey all!
Yeah mine is doing the same but i can describe mine as more of a slight knock
and im not loosing any power or blowing any weed either so i dont think that it is any thing major
A mechanic suggested that i replace the oil with some good fully synthetic oil so ive done that but theres no change.
I am really interested in seeing how this problem can be solved and if any one can suggest anything that would be great!
rednaxelar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
groops

Be careful....it sounded like my injectors were ticking, in fact it was my valve guide incorrectly seated and eventually fell into the cylinder throwing the whole engine...
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
AUIIForte

I get the same ticking from my engine, but its only when I first turn on the car. After I start driving it goes away. And from then on during the day (when the engine is warm from driving) when I start my car, it doesn't tick what so ever. Is that the same as what you are talking about? Or does yours tick all the time?
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
rednaxelar
Starter Motor

Mines completly the opposite starting the car is fine but then when it warms up thats when things start changing 1-ticking noise from front passengers side but i think all au's do that 2-knocking from engine somewhere.......
I saw a mechanic and he sold me some nulon "lifter and tune up" fluid to poor into the oil and apparently it takes about 500 kms to fully work! so we will see but ill keep everyone posted!
rednaxelar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
gazza3216
Starter Motor

About 6 months ago my AUII (petrol, 145,000Km) also began to make a ticking/knocking noise first thing in the morning for about 10-15 seconds then was OK for the rest of the day.
I thought it might have been faulty or blocked hydraulic tappets so I put some Lifter Free in the oil which worked for about one week (500Kms).
Not long after this I had the car converted to LPG and at the recommendation of a mechanic, I changed the oil to 15w-40 to cope with the added heat from the LPG.
Well, the ticking/knocking became a hundred times worse, so I replaced the hydraulic tappets and changed the oil back to 10w-30.
All was silent for about 1000kms, then the ticking/knocking returned during cold starts in the morning and to top it off, I began to hear a faint ticking/knocking while cruising at 50-60kph and the Rev counter showing approx 1200-1400rpm.
I got hold of a Gregory's repair manual and found a section which describes the noise- Connecting Rod Bearing noise. I have attached a scanned copy for others to read.

Last edited by gazza3216; 25-09-2023 at 07:40 AM.
gazza3216 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
Morgz88

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for the late reply.

Must admit have only noticed the ticking when first started in morning but will check tomorrow arvo after the car is hot.

Haven't noticed any lag or power loss, but the idle is getty a little humpy more and more every week. Especially in drive and more so in reverse.

I first suspected ticking was comming from the valves, but when touching the rocket cover I couldn't feel ticking, but when touching the injectors I can feel the ticking for sure. Can feel a stronger tick on No. 2 cylinder injector.

Did an oil and filter change last week but has made no difference.
Morgz88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: