Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default light into rear of console

i wouldnt mind putting the a light in the back of the centre conrol just below the rear vents. i see its already cut out, is the wiring etc already there for it or would it have to be wired up...

how much would i be looking at for the light?

mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

pretty sure the XR's dont have the loom there for it, so you would need to make one up. Ive done up instructions on how to do footwell lights, they're listed on aufalcon.com, same principle here except you're just running the wires in a different place.
Old 29-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
DODDO
Can man

Yeah, theres no wiring running through the console on your model car. I wanted to do that on my car too, so thanks for the pointer!
Old 30-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Umineko
Karasu

There's a consol light from an AU Fairlane on eBay at the moment: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Falcon-Fairla...QQcmdZViewItem
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i did this to my xr8. I bought the loom and lense from ford. there is a plug under the passenger side seat where it all plugs into. was relatively easy to install.
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how much did it cost for you for the light and loom?
mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i think from memory it was about 25 bucks or something. it wasnt that expensive.
Old 31-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
v8snerlo
v8snerlo

I did this to mine as well. Got a lense from a wreckers and just found the similar coloured wiring (because the lense still had a section of wire on it). Just spliced it in. Did the same for the footwells. Real easy. looks good too. Shouldn't have to spend any more than twenty bucks all up for the lense and the two globe holders in the footwells.
Leon.
v8snerlo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
DODDO
Can man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS
i did this to my xr8. I bought the loom and lense from ford. there is a plug under the passenger side seat where it all plugs into. was relatively easy to install.
Was the plug under the carpet? If so, did you have to remove the seat and the carpet to find it?
Thanks!
Old 31-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODDOAU
Was the plug under the carpet? If so, did you have to remove the seat and the carpet to find it?
Thanks!
yeah its under the carpet.it was a little plug. i didnt know it was there until we pulled a mates te50 apart to find where his light was connected. it is easier to take the seat out, that way u can feed the new one under the carpet properly. i also did the footwell lights too. i just made up a loom that went from the drivers side under the dash to the pasenger side, then it joins into the console light. wrapped the whole lot in black tape so it looked factory.
Old 31-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Is it possible to use the plug under the front passenger seat for footwell lighting rather rather than grabbing it from the steering column as per the tutorial on AU falcon?

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo_xrsx_oO
Is it possible to use the plug under the front passenger seat for footwell lighting rather rather than grabbing it from the steering column as per the tutorial on AU falcon?
thats what i used for. im not sure if all au's have the plug there tho.
Old 31-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
DODDO
Can man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS
thats what i used for. im not sure if all au's have the plug there tho.
Ive just pulled the seat out of the car to have a look and i couldn't see it. So, if anybody has put the light in their AU1 Falcon, can they speak up and let us all know if the plug is there? That would be awesome!
Thanks for the reply TICK4D-TAS!

Cheers
Old 31-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i just went and had a look at mine again. if u slide the seat right back, take the plastic cover off the rhs front seat mount (closest to console) the carpet should have a cut out. if u lift that up that is where my plug is. i took a quick photo of it for you.

hope that helps
tim
Old 31-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Just had a look in the car, I have wires and plugs under both seats however the ends are not connected to anything, just sort of run from the loom plug and the loose end clipped into a holder under the seat. The loom plugs are yellow if that gives any indication? Thinking these may have been for electric seats?

However under the driver's seat I have a white plug the same as TICK4D-TAS's photo, not connected to anything, just coming out through a hole in the carpet, would these be what I am after even though its on the driver's side? Didn't have to take any mount covers off, pretty much dead centre under the seat.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Old 31-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #16
damon90
(advertise here)

maybe the ones under passenger is for a cd stacker
damon90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon90
maybe the ones under passenger is for a cd stacker
Doubt it, identical wires and plugs under both passenger and driver seats. Plus the white one as per the photo under the driver's. Weren't all factory stackers in dash?

Old 31-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #18
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i have plugs coming from my seats going into the yellos plugs. not sure what they are for. i just figured it was something to do with the seatbelts or airbags??? i never checked to see if there was another plug the same as the white one on the drivers side. when i originally wanted to do the light, my mate had a t3 te50, so we took the console out of that and traced the loom back to under the pasenger seat and then found the xr8 had one too.
i would get a test light and check it when u turn the interior lights on, it if lights up then i would say its the same circuit. just a thought.
Old 31-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Not trying to be smart here, but just wondering what the advantage is in having one of these lights? Does it make much of a difference to how the interior lights up at night?

Thinking it might be handy for when we're searching for kid's crap in the car at night!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

My passenger seat seems to have wires under it, might have to look at where they come from & go to, this mod would be kinda cool for me to do.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #21
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Not trying to be smart here, but just wondering what the advantage is in having one of these lights? Does it make much of a difference to how the interior lights up at night?

Thinking it might be handy for when we're searching for kid's crap in the car at night!
i did it for a touch of class i guess. when u look at all the high end models they all have footwell lighting. you dont really need them, but they look good and are cheap to install. guess its like doing chrome doorhandles, dont really need them but they look better.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #22
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Can the lights be left on while driving or do they only illuminate for a period of time like the roof mounted light, say when the car is unlocked?

Old 01-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

The light is wired into the interior light setup, so it'll only come on when you open the doors, unlock the car, or turn the interior lights on with the switch near the headlight switch.

The plugs underneath the seat - there should be one for airbags and crash equipment (it'll be plugged in and shouldnt ever be un-plugged unless youre pulling seats out etc), and the other one would be for the lights. If you cant find the one for the lights, honestly the easiest way is just to tap into the lights already there - Fairmonts (non Ghias) have the front ones already so you can wire in there, an XR's and low series cars (Fortes, Futuras etc) have the one in the steering column. When I did mine I tapped in to the steering column and just made looms up. I have a ute though so obviously I didnt do the one in the rear of the centre console.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #24
DODDO
Can man

I just followed TICK4D-TAS's instructions on my AU1 Futura, and mines different. Im assuming that the AU1 low series, doesnt have the plug for the lights.

Cheers