Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Aquaculture/Fisheries

Im justing wanting to see who on fordforums is invloved in aquaculture/fishing aspects in relation to a job, career or even just recreation. Currently im studying a degree in aquaculture and im in my second year. From what i have heard and experienced, theres really isnt much aquaculture production around the area i live. Theres the largest export and import company of ornamnetal fish in australia, thats around the corner from my place......but thats about it. Im sure there might be some small scale productions somwhere, but i havnt found them as of yet.

Anyway by doing this course i cover everything you could possibly imagine about fish, molluscs and crustaceans.....whether it nutritional ethics, biology, chemistry, statistics, algology and even laws and legislation about fisheries. Basically i want to find a job, part time or full that related to my studies. With very mininmal facilities found around my region, its a bit hard to actually get into this field. So i wouldnt mind knowing who is around in fordforums, that is either in the industry or preparing to head into that occupation. Would be great to see if there are any people from here who can relate to aquaculture or fisheries! I feel like a complete outsider! :rolleyes:

oh, if anyone wants to ask anything about fish, water....blah blah. Just ask!

Regards

SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Brisbane ghia

Hi there svt8, i have always found aquaculture interesting, especially redclaw and western aust marron. At this stage my interests have been purely reading and research. Im am suprised that fishos dont have redclaw available uphere in brisbane. Is it that they wouldnt sell well or that people just wouldnt buy them. There is a redclaw farm up the coast called cherax park, which i will visit soon.
Brisbane ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I work in the WA Department of Fisheries (see http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/) mostly recently as a Principle Fishery Policy Officer for commercial and recreational fisheries in the Northern Bioregion. I have worked in many Government Departments over 37 years and the good thing about working in the Fisheries Department that sets it apart from many others is that you know the work you are doing (ensuring the fisheries are sustainable or saving the fish for future generations) is making the world a better place. Commercial fishermen in WA are also a very good client group to work with; generally very optimistic and friendly.
Old 13-06-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
rcg
Starter Motor

Where abouts are you doing your course if you don't mind me asking? I'm doing a similar course down at Deakin in Warrnambool.
rcg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
CRUSHU F150
Gettin' Bigger ;)

My Father in Law has a Freshwater Crayfish farm in Bundaberg. I think they are Redclaw?
I have always had fishtanks, and used to breed African Cichlids, very cool and colourful freshwater fish.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ancedsmall.jpg
CRUSHU F150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post