Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-06-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Default 6 Throttle body manifold

Is any one running a 6 throttle body manifold? I know RPD do one for $1500, and I was wondering if anyone ran them on their AU and reckoned it was worth the cash?

I know that they provide better breathing by having an individual throttle body and intake trumpet for each cylinder and this in turn improves throttle response and power, but by how much, and how serious would you have to be to run this set up?

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 02:31 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You'd need a hell of a lot of work done .... the RPD version that I have seen didn't really show that big an increase in dyno figures ... so I don't really see it being that appropriate for road vehicles.

If it had dual length runners it might be handy .. but the shorter the runners ... the lower the torque ... better to-end though (but when it comes to driveability you need the torque).

Might work well on a dedicated track car ... but needs to be tuned properly ... and extensive headwork along with a matched cam too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #3
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
You'd need a hell of a lot of work done .... the RPD version that I have seen didn't really show that big an increase in dyno figures ... so I don't really see it being that appropriate for road vehicles.

If it had dual length runners it might be handy .. but the shorter the runners ... the lower the torque ... better to-end though (but when it comes to driveability you need the torque).

Might work well on a dedicated track car ... but needs to be tuned properly ... and extensive headwork along with a matched cam too.

On the money there mate its all about combo. If your cam and head combo can breathe as much then go for it!

When you start to get into aftermarket manifolds you reeaaaally play with the engines characteristics you have to determine what suits it best. I recomend it if you got a nice big juicy cam, a bit more compression and the head ported to suit.

Mechan1k - True about the Jays RDP dyno results but they werent ones to show pony on a dyno they were all about timeslips and the project never got pushed that far that the car was tuned 100% and run at the track back to back. Common sense dictates what this manifold would do though....

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 02:55 AM   #4
sexr6tasy
Banned

I imagine it would increase throttle response quite a bit tho
sexr6tasy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Yeah, its not something that will be done straight away as I need the manual conversion, diff gears( 2 weeks : ) and big cam/ headwork first, but its something to keep in mind.

I mean all the older Ferraris (possibly the new ones?) ran individual throttle bodies and velocity stacks/intake trumpets as well as all F1 cars and V8 supercars, so I assume that for any serious N/A application its almost a must.

I'd assume that with a really big cam .555 lift, and a worked head, your just not going to be able to get enough air through a single standard throttle body and even if you could you would have terrible distribution between cylinders.

The problem as I see it is that RPD are the only people that I know of to make an individual throttle body manifold. I'm hoping that the trumpets are interchangable as, from what i've been reading the length of the trumpet has serious effects on horsepower produced, and the only way to do it properly is to change them on a dyno back to back.

So therefore I'm thinking that, by itself individual throttle bodies and intake stacks wouldn't make a huge difference, but we should see large gains in the right tuned set ups.

Plus they look nuts check these out, and check out the different trumpet lengths between the caparo and the mazda. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...ostid=38539734

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Spot on the money. The car really has to spend the time on the dyno. There is math formulas to help you out but they wont give you an exact they work well as a guide. Problem is fabricating the manifold since they dont do it anymore!
With a plenum equiped car you also get hermholtz resinence at a specific rpm (tuned by runner length) which acts as a little 'boost' that is something an individual throttle body setup wont give but the velocity stacks in itself help that and provide their own little 'boost'

response would be freaking nuts.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is the sort of thing best bought as a proven package manifold cam head etc rather than buying the items at different places and hoping it works an edit and heaps of dyno time would be esential
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post