Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Leeroy
Leeroy

Post Ford to axe its "baby" V8 this year.... Oh, and no full size spare wheel.

I came accross this article today. It says that ford will be axeing its SOHC 5.4 V8 this year. any people upset by this? not many judging by very low sales of the unit... :

It also mentions ford will be droping a full size spare wheel.
Is this a good move?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25733300128CFA

Leeroy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Just for the next few years I reckon. It'll be back with the LWB models when (when and not if) they return in a few years imo.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Just setting a standard in the lead up to orion I'd say- that way people would have "accepted" these things by the time orion comes around, so when it's standard equipment list is announced, less "appears" to have been dropped.

These things wee going to happen anyway, people get over it in time- I remember AU2 was the start of dropping a matching alloy, now they're dropping a full size altogether- everyone is doing it so there's no need to include it- we are enthusiasts here so these little things bother us, but for the most part, people would probaably not even know the difference, in most cases not have ever sven seen the spare tyre or know what to do with it

Losing the 3 valver is disappointing but not a huge takeup so easily understandable why they would drop it...... Sad, but understandable.

I thought the 5.4 generallly was or borrowed time anyway?
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

No real surprise on both. Ford looking at ways of making their cars cheaper to make.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Too bad for the Barra 230......

I have heard good things about that motor and I'm pretty sure the Barra 220 was a good grunter producing something like max power at 4500 rpm.

So what are American Fords using if not the Barra 230???
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The 3 valve was never going the stay past the BF model.
Due to the popularity of the I6T that will be used in place of it.

But what has me thinking is now that the I6 is getting replaced with a V6, what is going to replace the I6T? Most likely a V6T or even a SC engine.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Too bad for the Barra 230......

I have heard good things about that motor and I'm pretty sure the Barra 220 was a good grunter producing something like max power at 4500 rpm.

So what are American Fords using if not the Barra 230???
Yeah, the 3V a great everyday engine. Great grunt down low and in the mid range but do run out of breath up high in factory guise (ie not flash tuned, standard intake).

According to all the threads in the Orion section there will be a new Ford V8 range soon. I'm pretty sure that production of the 5.4 3V engine has or is about to cease in the US. Ford Aust has bought enough stock engines to see them through until orion. They only sell about 10 3V powered cars per month ATM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
But what has me thinking is now that the I6 is getting replaced with a V6, what is going to replace the I6T? Most likely a V6T or even a SC engine.
Isn't there already talk of a turbo version of the V6 capable of making over 300kw already being designed? I think there is even talk that the next Mustang will get a twin turbo V6 as it's HIPO engine.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Where does this leave the Fairmont and Ghia.

Not v8 Ghia? WTF

Bit annoyed with this, cant see boss going into Ghia's, especially with that bulge. Bit of a downer for me beacuse i always thought the v8 XT with 6 speed was one of the nicest trim options available.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the word was the 3V is being dropped, the current 260 was going to be an option in the pov pack orion, and the 290 was for the XR8 with the uprated 320 for the FPV's.

Space saver, couldn't care less really. But I just wish ford would come up with a better solution for us suit wearing ute drivers.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
winovin

If the problem is that the Canada plant is closing, why not just offer the 260hp XR8 Boss engine in the Fairmont Ghia?
winovin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Where does this leave the Fairmont and Ghia.

Not v8 Ghia? WTF

Bit annoyed with this, cant see boss going into Ghia's, especially with that bulge. Bit of a downer for me beacuse i always thought the v8 XT with 6 speed was one of the nicest trim options available.

If they are gonna replace the 3V with the I6T engine......this should answer your question.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dropping the full size spear is just stupid, space savers should be illegal in Aus.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #13
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read the article & also Gorman's comment that having a space saver would make the car about 5kg lighter & in the real world weight is important too fuel economy. Surley he is not trying to say drop 5kg in the Falcon & watch your economy improve? please Mr Gorman that sounds like what a politician would say.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

This is Fords innovative weight saving plan?????? :togo:

Is there scope in the future for a bae bones boss as in a XT with the same motor as XR8???
Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
This is Fords innovative weight saving plan?????? :togo:

Is there scope in the future for a bae bones boss as in a XT with the same motor as XR8???

Up until Jan 07 there wasn't. So I wouldn't hold your breath. But then again things change.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #16
irsa76
Snoopping

Quote:
The V8 decision affects the three-valve overhead-camshaft 5.4-litre engine that was optional for the Fairlane and Falcon sedan, wagon and ute, and standard fitment for the G8 Fairlane and LTD
Oh I wish the wagon had the V8.
Quote:
While Ford Australia was prepared to give up the advantage of having a full-size spare wheel, it will not follow Holden’s Commodore lead and move away from a practical split/folding rear seatback.

Again, apart from the wagons, which Commodore ever had a split fold rear seat? These guys are supposed to know what they're talking about.
As for the 3 valve, I guessed it's days were numbered with the demise of the LWD sedans. I rarely see any 3 valve powered Falcons, compared to XR8s or even FPV cars. Besides, I don't think there is much of a market for a family V8 apart from the XR8 these days. Going to the space saver isn't an issue for me since I can't remember the last time I had a flat in my cars, the work vans are another matter. At least Ford is still giving you a spare, they could have gone the can of Goo and air compressor route.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

All I'm hoping for is that Orion will be lighter than BF.

I'm pretty sure the AU was lighter than EL and XE was lighter than XC.

Bring some balance to the Falcon I know the Falcon will never handle like a MX5 but a weight shaving will do wonders and I'm sure Ford can do more than delete full size spare.

Heck I reckon if they shaved 200kilos from the current Falcon they wouldn't have to increase horsepower. Carbon fibre????
Old 12-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:

Bring some balance to the Falcon I know the Falcon will never handle like a MX5 but a weight shaving will do wonders and I'm sure Ford can do more than delete full size spare.

Heck I reckon if they shaved 200kilos from the current Falcon they wouldn't have to increase horsepower. Carbon fibre????
Shaving heaps of weight but retaining rigidity , safety, NVH levels, ride quality and chassis integrity all cost BIG $$$$$

Many TOP end marques have been doing it for decades with quality Aluminium and composite components.

FORD being cash strapped and not in the TOP END market will more than likely neglect all the points I have mentioned in their quest for better fuel economy and small performance gains. Lighter is better when engineered correctly, but when it comes to Local cash strapped Marques........I would say Lighter is cheaper.......I'd be skeptical.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #19
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Mustang did it with the Cobra R so hopefully Ford could do something similar.
Old 13-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irsa76
Oh I wish the wagon had the V8.
Again, apart from the wagons, which Commodore ever had a split fold rear seat? These guys are supposed to know what they're talking about.
As for the 3 valve, I guessed it's days were numbered with the demise of the LWD sedans. I rarely see any 3 valve powered Falcons, compared to XR8s or even FPV cars. Besides, I don't think there is much of a market for a family V8 apart from the XR8 these days. Going to the space saver isn't an issue for me since I can't remember the last time I had a flat in my cars, the work vans are another matter. At least Ford is still giving you a spare, they could have gone the can of Goo and air compressor route.
The desicion to get rid of the 3V was made back in 05. I think when they saw the popularity of the Turbo Ford would have seen it as a money maker.

Quote:

Ford have done alot to lighten Orion. Using different metals and shaving bits off to get the weight off. Last I heard it was 250kg. But if they start adding more bits to the Falcon then the weight will increase. But I'm sure the base model will be surprising to a few punters.
Old 13-08-2007, 12:36 AM   #21
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new V6 will be lighter but that wont be in Orion.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
The new V6 will be lighter but that wont be in Orion.

until 2011
Old 13-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #23
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
A twin Turbo V6 has been developed and it sits at 321kw and 542nm, and thats a lighter engine, and the smaller capacity version 3.5 and not the 3.7, and that figures without direct injection or advances in VVT, or high boostage which Ford will have the former 2 in the parts bin by the time we get it.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post