Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Kryton

Default Motorcycles L's - Vic

has anyone been and done the Motorcycles learners test in the last couple of months?

im booked in on the 9th Sept for the 6 hour course (as i have previous riding experience) and would like a run down of the day if possible.

anything in particular i should be aware of?

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
crochunter
440cube Dart

Yes 1 thing they get you to do is take a 15 metre table top. You must clear it and still take control of bike when it lands.
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by crochunter
Yes 1 thing they get you to do is take a 15 metre table top. You must clear it and still take control of bike when it lands.
heres a thought: if you dont want to contribute constructively, DONT BOTHER POSTING AT ALL. :togo:
Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup, got mine @6 weeks ago at MTA in Dandenong, even though I am only doing off road/trail riding, the test is the same as with a road bike type. With previous riding experience it should be fairly easy to pass.
My test only involved a basic skills & competence riding test & a 32 question (multiple choice) exam, looking back, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be considering it's been over 25 years since I sat my driver licence test.
Make sure you take the online test Here
There are a few tricky questions, better yet, download the manual & absorb it somewhere quiet.
Good luck with it, take you're time & you should be fine. :voldar02:
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

guys i think this is in the wrong section. i will move it to the pub.
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Walked in, handed over cash, got photo, walked out.

Actually the instructor made us fill out the answer sheet of the test as he yelled out "number 1 is a, number 2 is c, number 3 is d" etc because apparently he was "still smashed" from the night before and had to get us out quick cause he had bikies coming in that we'd "rather not meet!"
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Kryton

got the hand book and have read it many times. the answers actually contradict themselves from section to section but thats another thing i spose.
only found out when i paid for the course that you had to bring your own helmet and gloves etc. thought that was pretty rich considering the price of the course and i had just paid for 2 people as well.
what bikes did they have where you got your L's?
apparently here they have kawasaki eliminators. should be fun!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
got the hand book and have read it many times. the answers actually contradict themselves from section to section but thats another thing i spose.
only found out when i paid for the course that you had to bring your own helmet and gloves etc. thought that was pretty rich considering the price of the course and i had just paid for 2 people as well.
what bikes did they have where you got your L's?
Even though I had my own (mx) helmet & gloves (at home) MTA supplied them, & a jacket too (their "skin cover" policy dictates jeans or leathers + jumper/jacket). I had a ball with the whole course to myself (weekday) & with their blessing spent @1 hour just cruising around on the road/trail bike gaining some extra bitumen experience.
The bikes were just Honda 250cc road bikes or 250cc road/trail & scooters, not sure what models, under @5 yo though.
I guess if you do the 6 hour course now, maybe you won't have to when you go for your Ps as I will have to.
You need to obtain Ps within @15 months of obtaining the Ls from memory.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Even though I had my own (mx) helmet & gloves (at home) MTA supplied them, & a jacket too (their "skin cover" policy dictates jeans or leathers + jumper/jacket). I had a ball with the whole course to myself (weekday) & with their blessing spent @1 hour just cruising around on the road/trail bike gaining some extra bitumen experience.
The bikes were just Honda 250cc road bikes or 250cc road/trail & scooters, not sure what models, under @5 yo though.
I guess if you do the 6 hour course now, maybe you won't have to when you go for your Ps as I will have to.
You need to obtain Ps within @15 months of obtaining the Ls from memory.
TAFE run both the L's and P's here.
with L's you get a choice of 6 hours @$206 or 10 hours @$280.
not sure what the P's cost or how long they go but i think its a few hundred and 6 or so hours long.
They specifically said that we have to bring our own Helmet, Gloves, Jacket, solid boots and jeans as a minimum for the L's.
that would have been good to know before i paid for 2 people as i pretty much dont have any of this except boots. i do have an old open face helmet from an uncles Harley but it doesnt fit any more.
so now after $412, i have one month to go and buy 2 helmets, 2 pairs of quality gloves, 2 decent jackets all while trying to buy a really cheap bike to get some practice on so we can confidently go for our P's in a few months.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #10
It'sTheVibe

Quote:
When I got my learners, Kawasaki Eliminators were 1000cc cruisers. Also known as ZL1000 if memory serves me correct.
Certainly make for an interesting introduction to riding.

It'sTheVibe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Kryton

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Kawasaki...or_V_2006.aspx
Old 12-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Kryton

anyone know what a 250 costs to register in Victoria?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Road bike, not sure, but rec reg cost @$150 2 months ago, then drops to @$50 per year so I've been informed. Check the Vic Roads website, there might some information there.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Close to what a car costs. Think my bike was about $430, then don't ask me how but my ute was only $375 with rural rego.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #15
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

did my L's at stay up right in hoppers .. great bunch they are .. and the practical test is easy as pie, theory is crap unless you read the book.

did my bike P's at the same place (only last week) now face losing my license for my bike + car for doing something stupid in my mates car(the same night i got my bike license lol), life sucks!

but the P's test is easy .. too easy , there was a guy in his 40's who hadn't ridden a bike in 8 months since his L's and passed no problems.

good luck
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #16
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
did my L's at stay up right in hoppers .. great bunch they are .. and the practical test is easy as pie, theory is crap unless you read the book.

did my bike P's at the same place (only last week) now face losing my license for my bike + car for doing something stupid in my mates car(the same night i got my bike license lol), life sucks!

but the P's test is easy .. too easy , there was a guy in his 40's who hadn't ridden a bike in 8 months since his L's and passed no problems.

good luck

i wouldnt call it easy.

i found it ok but 4 out of 8 people failed when i was there, both on practical nad theory.

Same thing with the Ls.

Motorbike licence tests are far more indepth than the car tests, and rightly so. Be prepared.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #17
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

well everyone in my L's theory class passed along with everyone in my license test practical passed :P

i guess it depends which place you go to ;) but people pass the license test without having ridden a bike since they got their L's
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #18
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

yeah i heard theres a bit of a difference between different testing places.

i went to the place in dandenong and they were pretty strict. Good guys but they followed the book to the letter. Cheaper than the moorabin mob though.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post