Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
da_ilks

Default Service Intervals

Guys,

The XR4 has gone in for it 3,000km check, so it's not due back to Ford until the 15,000km mark. There is an optional service for every 7,500km's, which I am currently thinking of following

My question is - is 15,000km service intervals OK? I've always done my other cars every 5,000km, so 15,000km seems extreme. The majority of my driving is highway/city (probably 80/20 split) but of course there's the occasional thrash through the hills. Is it worth spending the extra money doing the optional 'C' service, or just let it go and do and the normal A + B's?

Cheers

da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Chris just change the oil yourself between services. Ford overcharge to get an apprentice to change your oil.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're using good quality full-synthetic oil, then it's ok to service it every 15,000kms. A mate of mine also got 7,500kms written as the next recommended service.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Chris just change the oil yourself between services. Ford overcharge to get an apprentice to change your oil.
Yeah no doubt about the overcharging - suppose they won't know if I've done it anyway (extended warranty, no one is allowed to touch the car) Anyone know what oil Ford use in their regular servicing? Only disadvantage is the book won't be stamped.

Expensive stamp.
Old 26-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt Ford uses the recommended 5W-30 because "It's too thin for Australia condition" (which I think it's bogus).
Old 26-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
I doubt Ford uses the recommended 5W-30 because "It's too thin for Australia condition" (which I think it's bogus).
It is bogus, the manual says 5W-30 will work from below -30c to over 40c. 10w-30 is fine aswell.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Change the oil yourself in between services at 7500km using a good quality Synthetic oil.....just make sure you use the original Motorcraft Oil Filter from Ford to safeguard your warranty, (ie: they wont know you've done it yourself), dont use the Ryco aftermarket etc otherwise of course they would know.

When I was buying the Motorcraft one from Ford when I had my Fez it wasn't too bad pricewise, only about $15 which is about what the Ryco ones are anyway.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
da_ilks

If I do them at home I'd rather use the same oil as Ford - not a fan of different oils every change....

Anyone know what brand Ford use?
Old 27-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
If I do them at home I'd rather use the same oil as Ford - not a fan of different oils every change....

Just ask the ford guys that service your car. I buy all the oil for our cars (Fiesta and XR8) in bulk. Works out much cheaper. There is no good reason that ford wont tell you. Unless they think that they are missing out on the $$ for their apprentice to change your oil. And BTW, I alway put a little texta mark on my oil filters before I put the cars in for a service. I have never had a problem with the local ford/mercedes dealer, but caught out the local holden/nissan/toyota/mitsy/honda dealer twice.....
Old 27-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Every dealers can use different brand and viscosity of oil. Some uses Castrol and others Shell.
Old 27-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

You might have to point them at the service manual if they ask why you want 5-30w oil. I specified Castrol Edge 5-30w when I had my last service & they still put 15-40 in it.
I also change oil & filter at 7500km myself. Not sure if it's really necessary on a modern car, but oh well.
Old 28-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My FORD dealer uses Castrol Professional, whatever that is, supposed to be fully synthetic in my FIESTA, the FAIRMONT they use MAGNATEC and changed every 15000kms
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Hey buddy

I do an oil change at 7500km in between each 15,000km service. I change the filter as well and use either a 10w-30 or a 5w-30 fully synth oil. The difference after the oil change is noticeable. The car is idling smoother and pick up is sensational. I find that the synth oil is far superior to the mineral oils. When my car is serviced I always request synth oil, and where that's not possible they use a semi synth.

The oil that I use most often is the Fuchs, but this may vary according to what's on special and if I am trying something that someone recommends. Generally, I don't use Castrol / Shell or generic brands. Overall, I'm really happy with the Fuchs.

As others recommend, use the Ford OEM filter and give it a shot. If you like the results, stick to doing it yourself and save the cash. When its time to sell, your passion for and attitude towards your car will be obvious to the buyer even when there is no stamp in the book.

Cheerio

Ali.
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
da_ilks

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll speak to Ford and see how much a C service is. If it's not overly expensive I'll probably head that way. Not that I'm lazy (well, I am actually:p) but yeah, just easier to avoid any potential dramas with my extended warranty.
Old 24-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #15
da_ilks

Just an update, a C service is $125. Expensive oil change + stamp
Old 24-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just an update, a C service is $125. Expensive oil change + stamp
Very expensive, that's why you do it yourself, not to mention oil change jobs are usually the "apprentice jobs"......Vroom Vroom!!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post