Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Director

Default Cars for Wedding / formals hire

Do any of you guys use your cars for hire for School end of year dinners or weddings etc? and how much would you charge you reckon?

cheers

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
ms700
Big Member

Be very careful.

If you "charge" people for your services, you can/might be questioned by the police/rta and have to show your hire car license and/or insurance papers. Because, theoretically, you are a part time taxi.

Down here in the ACT, only authorised cars are allowed to charge people for their services, and those cars have all the correct permits etc, and they are lodged with the RTA.

Asking for "donations" or "doing a favour for a family friend" is a totally different thing!

This is only what ive heard, doing formal runs now is simply not worth it imho. They used to be good fun, but as usual, the bad apples dropping skids out the front ruined it for everyone, and now the police clamp down on everyone.

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
mrgo40rd

ill do it for petrol money (based in sydney) have a ba fairmont is a real head turner (going to be in street fords soon)

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I currently hold a Restricted Car Hire Licence. It's for formals and weddings. While I no longer driver for any company, I still have my licence, but I am only permitted to drive for the company who I got my accreditation through.

The thing about being accredited, is that you are legally able to provide these services. I have a condition on my insurance that allows me to do this. I also have to undergo a health assessment each year. I also undergo a police check. My licence reflects the class of car i am permitted to drive. Everything is legal.

If you go with a business that provides these services, not only do you get everything done above board, but you are not taking risks. Paying someone for fuel money, isn't good enough. It may be cheaper, but is not the best option. What I mean by this is that you choose to use someone from a forum and they let you down, what can you do. If my car breaks down, I can arrange a replacement car immediatley. What type of car would you like. A HSV's, mustang, cobra and other classics. Maybe a BMW o a Jag. That driver is an accredited driver. If you choose someone from a forum, what if the only car they can get you is a Datsun? Personally, I do not see getting cars on the cheap for such an important occassion the best idea.

Would you trust your daughter with someone who has not had any criminal history check done, and would you trust them because they drive fords and they have a nice ford? Worth the risk?

Your also getting a guarantee that the car is roadworthy and carries all the necessary approvals. If you are injured and you sue me, then you'll deal with my insurance. You are most likely to get a settlement. Someone who's not accrediated, you'll have to take them to court. Will you win? Probabbly not. Great way to ruin that special occassion.

What happens if their car is unroad worthy. Pulled over by the RTA? Car is defected, hope you have your bus timetable and ticket.

My car is guarateed to always be clean and I have a check list that i have to follow. Will you get this guarantee from someone who's doing it for a few slabs or for fuel money?

Theres other issues as well. Health risks? Is the driver sober. Is he clean. We have to pass these tests.

At the end of the day, your choice. Take guarantees over a cheaper alternative. No thanks. All I'm saying is that as nice as it is to get something cheaper, why would you even bother when you could be up for more trouble than its worth. Save yourself the grief.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 01:33 AM   #5
ms700
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
If you choose someone from a forum, what if the only car they can get you is a Datsun?
Whats wrong with Datsuns? lol

There is a super nice 510 here in the ACT......

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms700
Whats wrong with Datsuns? lol

There is a super nice 510 here in the ACT......
Only if its a Datsun Sunny :sm_headba
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
...Paying someone for fuel money, isn't good enough. It may be cheaper, but is not the best option. What I mean by this is that you choose to use someone from a forum and they let you down, what can you do...
Agree with the other information you have in your posting.

I have done a wedding for a lister in Geelong, and I did it for nothing, not even fuel (I am from Melb). You mention "they let you down", but after doing the favour and being promised some photos of the car around the Geelong and Werribee Mansion area, never heard from the guy again. At the time I was philosophical about the scuff marks they left inside the car, but not any more - I would never do it again. Agree, leave it to the professionals (or as a favour to a friend).
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #8
meg

also in sydney XC COBRA pm if wanted
meg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post