Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
brockfordsrule

Default factory sound system removal

guys i own an au series 1 wagon is there any tricks on how to get the factory head unit out as i am looking at replacing it with a ghia head unit with the cd stacker attached. any tips or avice on where to get the tools would be great

brockfordsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have some. You can also make some out of a coathanger. Check AUfalcon . com - I think there's a workshop article on there.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
brockfordsrule

thanks heaps seriously need to get the sound system sorted out soon sick and tired of the tape headunit and the factory stacker kits cost way too much cant find a wrecker who has a wagon with a stacker kit to put in either
Old 10-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to JB-HIFI or similar place and ask them to take it out with the proper tools, it took them about 5 seconds to take mine out (they did it for free and even let me keep the tools, lol). It was almost impossible using the coathanger trick...
Old 10-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #5
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

If you replacing it with the 6 CD in-dash H/U (AU2/3), the steering wheel mounted volume controls won't work on AU1. Plus the in-dash units are very widely known for being flimsy and will break down in no time. Something to do with the CD changing mechanism. Another thing if you're fussy.. the AU2/3 H/U doesn't light up orange like the Au1's do and will not match the rest of the dash. Just letting you know that's all.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

And you don't necessarily need one out of a wagon just because it is going into a wagon. You just need one out of an XR, or Fairmont etc if you want the premium system (6 stack). And if you have an AU1, you will need to get one from an AU1. If you have an AU2 or 3, then you can get one from either an AU2 or an AU3. But the wiring is different between AU1 and AU2.

My mate got a brand newy from Ford for $280 because his was stuffed - I thihnk it was replacing one that was replaced under warranty, so that's 3 6 CD units in 4 years. I would (and did) go aftermarket. You can't use the steering wheel controls, but you get used to not going for them.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockfordsrule
guys i own an au series 1 wagon is there any tricks on how to get the factory head unit out as i am looking at replacing it with a ghia head unit with the cd stacker attached. any tips or avice on where to get the tools would be great
I have the second of 4 options for factory sound in my Futura. It's a cassette unit with the optional cd controller. I got an Alpine 6 stacker which is under the front passenger seat and the adaptor which goes from the unit straight into the back of the cassette unit. I use the steering wheel remote controls too which is great. Cost me $500 odd all up a few years ago. I got the work done at JB Hi Fi.

Hope that helps, at least it may give you another option, depending on what unit is already in your car.

All the best with it.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
brockfordsrule

i really didnt want to go with the head unit change at first but have had problems trying to find a wagon with a loom for the factory stacker and the stacker itself as the wagons stacker is mounted under the passenger seat so im told not in the rear side compartment as in the sedans. A stacker kit i priced from ford was $800 for the kit and i was not all that keen to fork out that much
Old 10-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockfordsrule
i really didnt want to go with the head unit change at first but have had problems trying to find a wagon with a loom for the factory stacker and the stacker itself as the wagons stacker is mounted under the passenger seat so im told not in the rear side compartment as in the sedans. A stacker kit i priced from ford was $800 for the kit and i was not all that keen to fork out that much
Don't get it from Ford, they'll take the shirt off your back for it. Hang on, I'll get the model no for you, then you can price one at any hi fi joint that stocks Alpine.

CHM S630 Not much more than $500 installed 2 years ago!

Remember though, you have to have the cassette player that can control it. You'll have an idea if you do as it has info on the buttons like track and disk etc.

Cheers.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv619
Go to JB-HIFI or similar place and ask them to take it out with the proper tools, it took them about 5 seconds to take mine out (they did it for free and even let me keep the tools, lol). It was almost impossible using the coathanger trick...
Used a coat hanger to get mine out. Came out easily. Replaced tape player with a Sony. Just gotta work out how to replace the rear speakers.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post