Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Have you been iRick Rolled yet?

Worm infects 'jalibroken' iPhones

Quote:
An Australian programmer has released a worm that can infect jailbroken iPhones.

Currently the 'ikee' worm only replaces the iPhone's wallpaper with an image of popstar Rick Astley.

But security researchers say it demonstrates how malicious code could be installed.

And as the author has released the full source code, others could adapt it to more nefarious ends.

'Jailbreaking' is a process which allows iPhone and iPod Touch users to run unofficial software on their devices, instead of being restricted to Apple's App Store.
http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Tech...rm_392286.html

Now i don't know about you but i find this freakin hilarious.

Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to add on to the thread - Has anyone had any problems with Iphones? like programming, viruses etc etc? I was thinking of buying one - my contract is up in a couple of months and i'd like a different phone
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

HAHAHAHA pure gold!!!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Just to add on to the thread - Has anyone had any problems with Iphones? like programming, viruses etc etc? I was thinking of buying one - my contract is up in a couple of months and i'd like a different phone
None at all' Ive only had it 6 weeks it's a 32gb series 2 and the best phone (thing) ever. Some off he aps, like converters and spirit levels etc are super handy, and iBeer never fails for a laugh.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Get one, you'll love it. You won't find issues with 'programming' of apps, because each one has to be 'approved' as such before it can be sold on the iTunes App store anyway.

No viruses, except for this 'scare' but as the article says, it only affects 'jailbroken' iPhones (edited software to allow non-genuine and possibly 'infected' apps).

I've had the iPhone 2G 8GB then iPhone 3G 16GB and now iPhone 3GS 32GB and Mrs has the iPhone 3G 16GB in white and never had an issue with any of them.

As previously stated, some of the tools and gadgets you can get are incredibly useful.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

I have read on another site (modmyi) that the phone needs to have an "ssh" session going to be infected. That is, Wirelessly accessing the folders and files on the phone, to modify the contents. Its very handy for adding roms and other things into the phone. So its highly unlikely that people with jailbroken phones need to worry at all.

I find the original format the phone is in, although is boring, to be very easy to use, quick at going through menu's. The only downside to them, is that after you answer a call and hang up, the phone resorts back to the "contacts" menu. A bit annoying but i can live with it.

If anyone is thinking of getting the new phones, and hoping to jailbreak, you had better be quick, as apple is changing the operating system again as we speak, and a new jailbreak may not be written any time soon.

Cheers
Scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

I wish apple would allow people to do things that can only be done after jailbreaking. For example, themes, icons.. Really personalise the whole phone. This is how mine looks compared to the standard format.

Although i am afraid of being rick rolled, as should all, i doubt many will be affected by this worm.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

iPhone = urgh.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
iPhone = urgh.
Sounds like somebody had a bad iPhone experience??

I don't have one either (the mrs does), and I will definately consider it next year when it's time to get a new phone...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Has anyone had any problems with Iphones?
oh yeah. the fact everything has an i in front of it now. vegemite, competitors products(how does this work??) etc etc.

oh and the fact its just shoddy, shoddy equipment.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Rick Astley....Wow that is a good way to say you dont like iPhones. Getting that would be torture.

I was looking at an iPhone but have heard mixed reviews. Seems people either like them alot, or dont....alot! There doesnt seem to be a middleground.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Rick Astley....Wow that is a good way to say you dont like iPhones. Getting that would be torture.

I was looking at an iPhone but have heard mixed reviews. Seems people either like them alot, or dont....alot! There doesnt seem to be a middleground.
Never is with apple products.

People either love them or hate them.

Personally the iPhone seems like a good product, I am one of those people that just likes my phone to make calls and send sms' I don't care if my phone doesn't have a peeing monkey on it, or a fake ball of paper to throw in a bin.

In saying that, I have used my sisters one a couple of times, and the screen seems nice, gets pretty hot during a phone call, and the call / hang up buttons are reversed to every phone in the world.

Small gripe, yes, but enough to deter me
Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #14
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3

Absolute gold mate.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Sounds like somebody had a bad iPhone experience??
2 of the most horrible weeks of my life. You have to turn around, touch the ground pick a bale of cotton and THEN enter your PIN to open the f'ing thing, then to make a call you have to basically molest the phone all over with yuor fingers to make it work, and god help you if you have anywhere near as much trouble with the App Store as I did - I never did manage to get any applications onto the phone.
Back a Nokia E71 and loving it - iPhone can kiss my iArse.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
2 of the most horrible weeks of my life. You have to turn around, touch the ground pick a bale of cotton and THEN enter your PIN to open the f'ing thing, then to make a call you have to basically molest the phone all over with yuor fingers to make it work, and god help you if you have anywhere near as much trouble with the App Store as I did - I never did manage to get any applications onto the phone.
words of a very smart man. I have an E71, and none of this garbage as mentioned above.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
words of a very smart man. I have an E71, and none of this garbage as mentioned above.
Yep but wait for it, there's a whole heap of people about to post up how they love their iPhone and think it's the best thing ever - they just have to reboot it so the post goes through :
Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yep but wait for it, there's a whole heap of people about to post up how they love their iPhone and think it's the best thing ever - they just have to reboot it so the post goes through :
I've never had any of the issues you say you had, I actually find it a bloody simple and intuitive thing to use. You want phone you touch the phone icon and then either chose a recent called number, select a contact or use the keypad. Want apps? Set up your account, pay and download apps and iTunes installs them for you. iTunes syncs with outlook so you can have email, another thing it can automatically do.

Pretty simple really.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

LOL ... I wouldn't go for an iPhone. Ive got the Nokia Nav man and I'm about to upgrade, think I will go with the Nokia N97. ;)
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I've never had any of the issues you say you had, I actually find it a bloody simple and intuitive thing to use.
So's a butter knife.

Quote:
You want phone you touch the phone icon and then either chose a recent called number, select a contact or use the keypad.
Nokia - Push 1 button for recent calls, or push 1 button and scroll thru a list to find the name and number. Which sounds easier?

Quote:
Want apps? Set up your account, pay and download apps and iTunes installs them for you. iTunes syncs with outlook so you can have email, another thing it can automatically do.
I have a computer for emails and iTunes was actually invented by East German Communists as a way to punish border crossers.

Quote:
Pretty simple really.
Agreed! :
Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #22
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
So's a butter knife.
Yeah but try using a Nokia to spread your butter!

Quote:
Nokia - Push 1 button for recent calls, or push 1 button and scroll thru a list to find the name and number. Which sounds easier?
About the same really.

Quote:
I have a computer for emails and iTunes was actually invented by East German Communists as a way to punish border crossers.
I need email when I'm out and about. I will pay that second comment as I lol'd

Quote:
Agreed! :
damn
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
If I picked up a Nokia I'd have no idea that "1" was a recent call list. I had to use a Nokia to send a MMS a few months ago. Took me 5 minutes to work that out. iPhone takes a few seconds. Which sounds easier.

It's pretty obvious the iphone is not for you.......
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #24
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Can you make up different folders for say different photo collections on your iPod? and without doing this on a mac and then syncing?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords
BS it is
Yeah, I suppose so LOL. Remove the work part of it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #26
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Having to enter the PIN is something you enable yourself, this is easily disabled

Calls are easy, press phone, scroll through contacts, how much easier do you need it (oh and 3GS has voice dialing which actually works quite well)

App Store issues, not something I have heard anyone having at all.

Quote:
It does have its issues, but mine has largely been flawless, compared to my last Nokia/Symbian device anyway which was really a POS and pretty much useless, not to mention much more user friendly.

Currently mine has been on continuously (no reboots) for 37 days and it does get used quite extensively, last reboot was done for a firmware update. I can't remember the last time I had to reboot for anything other than an update (would have been back on firmware 2.x though, 3.x is much more stable.