Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ethanol mandated in QLD!!

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/458...unleaded-fuel/

Useless stuff!!

So now you cant even run boats on 91ron. Leave it for more than a few weeks and it goes off and wont run! Sucks in moisture if you have less than a completely full tank it seems.

I have a BMW dakar motorbike also that is recommended to not run on anything but 91, and I dont use it often, so how can I?

Luckily though I am not it QLD :-)! Hope it doesnt happen in VIC

EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
[url]

I wouldn't be too worried, not a whole lot of suger cane in Vic.
Old 13-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope this is just in 91 Octane fuels.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/458...unleaded-fuel/

Useless stuff!!

So now you cant even run boats on 91ron. Leave it for more than a few weeks and it goes off and wont run! Sucks in moisture if you have less than a completely full tank it seems.

I have a BMW dakar motorbike also that is recommended to not run on anything but 91, and I dont use it often, so how can I?

You obviously haven't even read it so why say "useless stuff". You should at least attempt to understand the facts before commenting. Or maybe you're just in training to be a journalist. Looking for a job on The Age are you? LOL.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you actually read it it states that there will still be access to regular petrol so whats your problem?
I say congrats to the government.
Old 13-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the actual document: http://203.210.126.185/dsdweb/v4/app.../docs/4075.pdf

Quote:

Introduction
The Queensland Government is planning to introduce a 5% ethanol mandate in Queensland starting 31 December 2010. The proposed mandate is to be applied on a volumetric basis and will account for 5% of all unleaded petrol sold in Queensland. The mandate applies to a prescribed class of fuel retailer, namely those retailers that operate 10 or more sites. The existing market structure places no limitations on fuel retailers in stipulating a minimum ethanol content. To facilitate the introduction of the mandate, draft legislation is to be introduced for passage before June
Quote:
Fuel availability
Motorists will primarily be impacted though the availability of fuel. The legislation applies to the total volume of sales of regular unleaded petrol (ULP) and a blend of ULP and ethanol. The ethanol content in premium unleaded petrol (PULP) and PULP proprietary products can contribute towards the ethanol mandate. Therefore the neat petrol component in PULP is exempt from this mandate and as such the provision of PULP is assumed to be ongoing.
The bowser configuration within service station sites between ethanol blended fuel and unleaded fuel will be of importance. If motorists do not naturally gravitate towards the required fuel mix, retailers will be forced to intervene and alter their bowser configuration. Some flexibility does exist in the respect that the 5% mandate applies to the total volume sales of a prescribed class of fuel retailers which can then be apportioned across that retailer’s different outlets. By way of example a site selling large volumes of E10 fuel could offset another site that primarily sells unleaded fuel.
Increased sales of ethanol blended fuels have been seen over 2008. In January 2008, 37.24ML of ethanol blended fuel was sold. This volume fluctuated throughout the year to be 55.49ML in December 2008, an overall increase of 49% (Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism, 2008-2009). Based on fuel sales throughout 2008 the ethanol content was estimated at 1.65%.
Old 13-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Sounds ridiculous to me. How can the government mandate how much ethanol blended fuel we have to buy? If I don't buy enough E10 they are going to change the bowser configuration so I buy more E10? I'll refuse to buy it because it is not as green a fuel as they would have you believe and because I don't appreciate being force fed bull s h i t .

Dave.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And if moving the bowsers around doesn't work, I'm sure they will have to manipulate prices.
Old 13-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
Sounds ridiculous to me. How can the government mandate how much ethanol blended fuel we have to buy? If I don't buy enough E10 they are going to change the bowser configuration so I buy more E10? I'll refuse to buy it because it is not as green a fuel as they would have you believe and because I don't appreciate being force fed bull s h i t .

Dave.
I think they're doing it more for the economical benefit to cane growers more so than the environmental benefit.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...8&postcount=28
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

this is only good. People who beleive that 10% ethanol is going to bad probally believe that there is a secret U.S Military base under Antartica

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 03:57 AM   #12
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Ooh goodie. Yet another 'YOU WILL DO THIS' from Captain Blight and the stupid QLD GovCo. This state is starting to become a crappy place to live in. Soon we won't be able to sneeze without someone in GovCo telling us what we can or can't do about it!

There's already petrol stations out there like BP & Freedom that sell E10 91 ONLY and if you want non ethanol unleaded you have to go for the 95RON. Forcing people into a higher priced fuel is just wrong and shouldn't be allowed, but what would we the people know.? The citizens of QLD will just take it lying down, like the good sheeple that they are.
When this comes in, maybe all the people who have older cars (that can't run on ethanol and therefore have to use 95) try sending in their fuel receipts with a letter demanding the GovCo reimburse them as it's their fault they have to pay more for fuel!??

Enough for me for the night I think!
Old 14-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about boats?!! You just cant use the stuff. So are forced into dearer petrol, or fuel thats not recommended.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Long as i can still buy 98 i really dont care :
Old 14-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unleaded fuel does not last as long as the good old leaded fuel did.
And the E10 does not last as long as the unleaded fuel does.
It's best not to leave the fuel were it will get hot and the fuel will vapourise.
For boats don't use E10. if you have to run 95 now "just get it tuned to run on it" it is not like 95 will be bad for a motor that recommends only 91. it is just the manufacturer has only tuned it to run on 91.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the ethanol industry is a donator to the current labor govt.
Old 14-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont you have to make some changes to run the ethanol fuel, like a different oild and grade etc

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont you have to make some changes to run the ethanol fuel???

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ohhhh so now the government wants to support cane farmers!!!! (just thought id take this argument in a different direction)

all new cars should already be compatible with at least E10 and if not they should be charged, im not one for climate change.... hell ill burn 10L of diesel now to prove a point ..... but if there is going to be change in the automotive world then there had better be support from the manufacturers before anything is mandatory.

again as long as this is done properly good on them.... cheaper fuel, support the local economy (hopefully North QLD cane farmers not imported) and sell a product that im sure most people who support change want.......

people kicked a stink about leaded petrol being banned, some probably didnt want to lose asbestos and people hated Windows Vista without even touching it....... simple fact is people hate change..... itll blow over and everyone will get over it

NOW MAKE MORE POWERFUL CARS!!!!

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Couldn't care less about e10, I use bp ultimate. However I'm keen for a pump with e85 though.
Old 15-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #21
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR

people kicked a stink about leaded petrol being banned, some probably didnt want to lose asbestos and people hated Windows Vista without even touching it....... simple fact is people hate change..... itll blow over and everyone will get over it

NOW MAKE MORE POWERFUL CARS!!!!
Since I wasnt old enough to remember the transition out of leaded properly, I couldnt really comment. But I had a funny feeling that would be the case. As for Windows Vista, people still hate it

My AU3 xr8 LOVES E10. I would even go as far as saying it likes it more than BP Ultimate. I've got nowhere near as much carbon buildup on my tailpipes, I've noticed a significant increase in throttle response, and im paying less for it than 91ron! The only con of using it is a VERY slight increase in fuel consumption which is easily outweighed by it's price anyway. This my experience with it anyway...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post