Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default SA Police Files

Anyone else watch it? Apparently walking down Hindley street waving a gun around and shooting everywhere isnt any more dangerous then speeding?!?!

Old 30-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If both outcomes result in death then I'd say the police officer was right.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
ToxikXR6
Enthusiast

the realisation of something like that does not hit home as hard as someone who has lost a friend and injured my father, they were both being stupid in a car.

myself.. still a young 17years old ive seen it all, watched someone learn the very basic of tasks that anybody wouldnt even think about how hard it is to learn all over again.

if you ever think "that will never happen to me"
it does..
ToxikXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I lost a friend 2 years ago and almost lost two on Thursday. It hits home for me alright, every time I get in my car...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 30-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok let me just say I didnt say speeding isnt dangerous, just that walking down a busy street shooting a gun is more dangerous then say going 75 in a 60 zone.
Old 30-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What was this show about guy's? Sorry me nosey prkick.. Me adelaide boy up NT working at moment..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok hi all . i will see how this thread pans out then i might add my 2c worth
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
What was this show about guy's? Sorry me nosey prkick.. Me adelaide boy up NT working at moment..
A half hour special saying how dangerous speeding and hoon driving is, just the usual. They could have made it better IMO, when it finished I thought oh, is that all? Kinda seemed like it was leading up to something and it was only about half way through the show and then it ended. Or was that just me?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Antwon, I can hardly say your post is informed..that show, while it had the usual hoon drivel, also had a strong message to the young drivers: slow down! Too many people die on our roads and that's a fact. Many other factors are involved including driver incompetence, fatigue, alcohol, defective vehicle etc. However it is so often speed too that causes a car to lose control. I can say that while the hoon driver bit was a bit of same old same old, especially as they focused on ACC yet again, the other stuff about those two mates dieing within two weeks of each other, and the disabled 29 year old ex hill cruiser, those stories struck a chord with me..last Thursday my mate jonny tried to impress a girl with a spirited run through upper sturt road. Eventually the heavy braking and speed meant he couldn't stop in time and hit a commodore exiting a driveway. 10klms p/hour and 5 seconds later and I'd be attending two funerals..so this sort of show I really like(only for the hard hitting stories designed to show people something) as it hopefully proves that showing off or not resting or being innatentive on the road can and will kill. I speak from experience. My mate and I had an argument, over the crash. I ended by telling him I'd already been to one mates funeral, I didn't want to go to another one..

THAT'S what hit home with him..
Game. Reinvented.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 AM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't miss much by the sound of it.. Suppose they'll be doing a special on bikie's next week then.. Spin.. Spin.. Brought to you by SAPOL and merk rannt.. And i was quoting off antwon post there 76txcoupe, sound's like you got a bit more out of the show..
Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #11
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I agree pottery unfortunatly the show was a bit too orientated towards telling us all about hoons and how they rule the streets etc. Good message relayed in regards to young deaths on our roads but not enough of a message ....
Game. Reinvented.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #12
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
Antwon, I can hardly say your post is informed.
Yeah my bad im not good at explaining things like that.

During the ACC bit, the guy that was saying he got a caution, a couple years back I used to ride with him when I was into BMX. He lives near me, drives a VN and a few times i have seen him sideways around the roud abouts near my house. There the sort of people that should be getting more then cautions.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn ph double poster gang..

Last edited by pottery beige; 01-12-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #14
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
And i was quoting off antwon post there 76txcoupe, sound's like you got a bit more out of the show..
I did, I always remember my buddy who died when I see these shows, I try to look at it from the parents point of view..they just want they're kids alive!
Game. Reinvented.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did, I always remember my buddy who died when I see these shows, I try to look at it from the parents point of view..they just want they're kids alive!
You've nailed it there bud, if a show like this can save just one life, stop one silly mistake then it is WELL WORTH IT!!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Well, they hit home with me, a 20 yr old, so I suppose their target demographic is getting the message somewhat.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #17
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

I stopped watching when they said "if you see a car cruise or gathering that could potentially be dangerous, call the police"

"oh no ethel, that group of men over the road with all those muscle cars, better call the police" etc etc etc....

yeah, plenty of good stuff on the show, but when they say things like that, and show footage of a car with middle-eastern number-plates doing a burnout, and an old wagon going around a track in a paddock on a farm, followed by comments on hooning, I switch off. I guess it's hard to notice the serious message in there when it's surrounded by sensationalism and very bad journalism.

Welcome to the media, SA style..
Old 01-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
I guess it's hard to notice the serious message in there when it's surrounded by sensationalism and very bad journalism.

bingo. how about they stop treating us like fools and get serious about it. no offense to 76txcoupe but often the only people that are positively affected by these shows are the ones that relive bad memories.

i'm waiting for the day a cop shows up on my doorstep to arrest me for hooning because some old fuddy dud rang up to dob me in for having a 'noisier than a hybrid' car. i have a couple that live in my area that have nothing better to do than stand out the front watering, glaring at anything that moves. i live 1 house ffrom the corner of my street so somedays i don't bother changing to 2nd. being a v8 they look at you like you're doing 100 down a side street.

i'm no hoon but s.a. is almost getting to the point that anyone with a modded car will be pigeon holed into the same category. no such thing as innocent till guilty with all this encouragement to 'dob in' a hoon.

what exactly is a 'hoon' anyway. if i rev my car beyond 3000rpm.. is that o.k? should i check with mr rann? how quickly can i accelerate without the hoon label being thrown at me?

these half hearted (and thats being generous) attempts to appear like they are doing something about it are a joke.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
Barry_v
rocknrolla

next week they're going to do another 1/2 hour special. its titled "the dangers of banging other people's wives" and will feature mike rann.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

No offense taken prydey, all that rubbish phil mentioned I zoned out for too. A case of too little too late with that show.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #21
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
next week they're going to do another 1/2 hour special. its titled "the dangers of banging other people's wives" and will feature mike rann.
LOL Good one Barry!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

whoops wrong post
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #23
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Until people realise that twice as many people die every year from committing suicide, than number of people dieing on the road, I couldn’t care less.

Other than the minor percent of people killed on the road from dangerous driving, there is always going to be accidents. The main reason the death toll has fallen is because cars are built safer.

Hundred of thousands of people die from lung cancer and heart disease each year but people are allowed to eat fatty food and smoke cigarettes.

If you walk down Hindley Street randomly shooting you may kill someone, but tell me what percentage of businesses on that street sell alcohol, cigarettes, and unhealthy food. You would be far more likely to die from everything legally sold in Hindley Street than speeding.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #24
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

That's a very broad statement to make BAfalconXT. Suicide is usually the result of depression or another illness. Junk food and smoking are likely to lower your chance of living to and old age, but the point being made is that young people are dieing unnessecarily and that's why such emphasis is put on it. Smoking or eating junk food is a personal choice whose effects can usually be reversed. You can't reverse a fatal car crash.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #25
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
I stopped watching when they said "if you see a car cruise or gathering that could potentially be dangerous, call the police"

"oh no ethel, that group of men over the road with all those muscle cars, better call the police" etc etc etc....

yeah, plenty of good stuff on the show, but when they say things like that, and show footage of a car with middle-eastern number-plates doing a burnout, and an old wagon going around a track in a paddock on a farm, followed by comments on hooning, I switch off. I guess it's hard to notice the serious message in there when it's surrounded by sensationalism and very bad journalism.

I saw that wagon on the farm & the middle eastern plates on that commodore and also a Trans Am that looked like American footage.

I have exactly the same feelings Monty.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #26
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Quote:
That's a very broad statement to make BAfalconXT. Suicide is usually the result of depression or another illness. Junk food and smoking are likely to lower your chance of living to and old age, but the point being made is that young people are dieing unnessecarily and that's why such emphasis is put on it. Smoking or eating junk food is a personal choice whose effects can usually be reversed. You can't reverse a fatal car crash.
Other than sever mental illness, 100% of suicide is preventable and depression leads people to drink and take risks. If government spent as much time, effort and money on helping people with problems, the road toll would be reduced because people would not drink, take drugs, or drive as dangerously.

Having an unhealthy lifestyle, can be reversed, but it doesn't change the fact that far, far more people die from completely preventable things. Smoking and bad eating habits don't just affect those that smoke and are overweight, more people would die from passive smoke than driving related deaths, and both smoking and eating habits are often learnt from peoples parents, affecting the next generation.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'm not about to argue with you, but I am trying to say only one thing here: when it comes to people dieing, it has to be stopped. Whatever the government does in regards to suicide, junk food and ciggarette use is probably not enough, but there's not alot we can do about that. The fact is that no matter what we say, if they're doing something to stop deaths then that's a good thing, not a bad thing. So if they have a 30 minute special about young people dieing, in the hope it stops road deaths, then that's better than nothing. So too with the specials we see about smoking and junk food. You can't say one type of death(suicide for example) is more "important" than another, road fatalities etc. If someones dieing then it's important, full stop.

Yes, I smoke, drink and eat rubbish food. I'm more likely to die getting in my car and driving to work than I am from puffing on a smoke at home.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #28
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Bloody hell Naish :P :P ... You animal!!!! :P :P
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #29
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Yes, I smoke, drink and eat rubbish food. I'm more likely to die getting in my car and driving to work than I am from puffing on a smoke at home.
if you keep driving you MIGHT die from a car accident, if you keep smoking it WILL kill you.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post