Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Default SIMPLE Honey Glazed Ham recipe

What an awesome recipe this is.

I had never done it before and man what a hit it was on Christmas day

We have a big family and had a feast. 10kg Pork leg, a 7kg Honey glazed Ham, 3 chickens and a turkey and the only thing that totally disappeared on the day was the 7kg Honey Glazed Ham,

Everybody went back for thirds on the Ham. It vanished that night.

The recipe I had was really complicated to follow and I had to use a marker pen to cross out the bits I had done but I have re written it for the future
and here it is for my fellow AFF people in simple step by step form.

Honey Glazed Ham[font='Times New Roman','serif']
7kg leg ham with bone in - preferably one that has not been frozen. Mine was from Wilberforce and they kill their own and can guarantee they do not freeze them
2 large oranges
40g whole cloves
1.5 cups soft brown sugar
2 tablespoon french mustard
1 cup honey
3 teaspoons soy sauce
6 tablespoons grand marnier[/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']1. Prep ham.You can do this step the night before if you wish[/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']Remove rind and most of the fat by running a thumb around the edge, under the rind. Begin pulling at the widest edge. When the rind is removed to within 6cm of the shank end, cut through the rind around the shank. Rind goes in rubbish.[/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']On the ugly side of the ham, score the fat with deep cuts in one direction and then the other to form a nice diamond pattern. (The first time will be a practice go so that’s why you start on the dud side and leave the pretty side until you have had a practice run). Then do the same on the pretty side. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']Press a clove into the centre of each diamond[/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']2. Peel oranges leaving as little of the white pith as possible. Then remove as much of the white pith as possible. Cut into long thin strips[/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']3. Add 2 cups of water, the orange rind and 6 cloves to a roasting tin. Cover the ham securely with foil and place the ham on a rack in a roasting tin roast for 90 minutes on 180C.[/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']4. To make the honey/brown sugar glaze combine the sugar, mustard, honey, soy sauce and Grand Marnier in a bowl and mix well [/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']5. Remove the ham from the oven, increase the heat to 210C. Drain the meat, reserving 1 cup of the pan juices for later. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']6. Brush the ham with the honey/brown sugar glaze. Return to the oven and cook, uncovered, for another 90 minutes brushing with the glaze every 10 minutes This is the secret!!![/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']7. To make the orange glaze/gravysqueeze the orange to get a half cup of juice. Place the reserved pan juices and 1/2 cup of the honey/brown sugar glaze in a small pan. Stir in the orange juice. Stir over low heat until the mixture boils, than boil, without only a little stirring for 3 minutes. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']8. Remove the ham 3 hours after starting and leave the ham for 10 minutes before slicing. [/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']Serve the ham, hot or cold with the orange glaze[/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']And that's all folks! [/font]

[font='Times New Roman','serif']Delicious! It’s right up there with home grown, home cooked duck and enough to convert any vegan. [/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif'][/font]
[font='Times New Roman','serif']Trippy where are you?[/font]

Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post