Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #121
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
From what I've been told, the truck driver was not at fault (but hey, we hear gossip all the time). The truckie is injured but OK - well physically. He is apparently hysterical and so distressed - who wouldn't be.

Yes Norm, there will be a reason. I just find it frustrating that you get perfect conditions, adult teaching a young person to drive and it goes pear shaped. Maybe we need these L plate drivers and inexperienced drivers only allowed on certain roads - not the 100km highways. I don't know anymore.

GT
Its distressing and frustrating.. but i think it helps to get your head around these things if we know how and why..

Old 22-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #122
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
maybe the same reason someone would call someone who does believe in smacking 'not a parents ars...'

or did you not read the quoted bit?

why is abuse and discipline always associated by assumption. i like how you infer that i abuse my kids.

people often say there is a fine line between discipline and abuse. i don't agree. i think there is a gaping chasm. phsychologists and media will have you believe they are almost the same thing.

anyway, this is getting off topic. i'll stick with 'old school'. its well proven and my kids love me for it.
um, not really understanding what you're saying or if you're quoting something someone else had said ("maybe the same reason someone would call someone who does believe in smacking 'not a parents ars.." who actually said that? Not me...).

I was merely picking up on your poor choice of the word "wowser" to describe people who do not believe in smacking. You said "you realise this 'anti smacking' thing is only a relatively recent idea (wowsers)." Better choice of word called for IMO.

I don't have a problem with smacking *per se* and ultimately I believe it's a parents choice to smack or not. However, I am offended by someone calling people like me "wowsers" just because we do not. It's just not the right word to use to describe the difference of opinion on physical discipline which I hope you can understand.

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #123
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
This is a truly sad story, but hopefully with 5 from one community all gone at once, others in that age group in that community might start to get the message about DUI.
Doubt it, plenty of drink driving stories on the news and it still hasn't stopped anybody of any age group.
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #124
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Had a girl (on L plates, 16 years old) and a man (think it is her Dad) killed just down from my place this morning. Straight open piece of road, fantastic conditions and for some weird reason she drove straight into the truck causing a massive head on. The truck was loaded to the hilt with enormous concrete pipes so the occupants in the 4 wheel drive didn't have a prayer. Has the world gone tipsy turvey?
I read this on the heraldsun web site.

You would be amazed how many people pull out infront of a truck, although it's not normally head on. This time the truck did apparently

Another non-speed, non-alcohol, non-hoon related death.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe

Last edited by LTDHO; 22-01-2010 at 01:50 PM.
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #125
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

now the government wanna bring in a 30-day confiscation for first offence, and as far as crushing cars and selling parts etc. all good and dandy.... but...

How would this have stopped the 5 kids from DYING even if this was in place before the accident? total knee jerk reaction, they think they know what they are doing but don't have a clue, blindly introducing new legislation etc which will NOT stop people hitting trees at 140-160kph, drink driving, carrying more then 1 passenger, etc. . etc.

guess they'll continue to ignore driver training, it helps a lot, and other methods to combat the other problems, oh maybe more police on the road, etc. but as half them nim-wits don't drive to work, but get driven, they wouldn't a clue !! argh
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #126
MAD
Petro-sexual

Driver training the the last thing required to control a car that is on the edge.
Its attitude that gets the car on the edge in the first place.
Its not too often that driver training (Handling skills) would avoid an incident that makes it to the papers.

The exemption to this is the 'defensive' part of driver training. The part that teaches you to be aware of everything that is going on around you. Getting prepared to brake if you're not sure if the car comnig up in the side road is going to stop or not.
There are so many incidents that could be avoided if people looked at more than 3 feet in front of their bonnet.
Old 22-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #127
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by left
um, not really understanding what you're saying or if you're quoting something someone else had said
go back and re read my post, and read the section that i have quoted from bent_8. i added the term 'wowser' purely as retaliation, expecting some sort of response.

you have an opinion on my parenting, i have one of yours. doesn't make either wrong or right i guess.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #128
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Driver training the the last thing required to control a car that is on the edge.
Its attitude that gets the car on the edge in the first place.
Its not too often that driver training (Handling skills) would avoid an incident that makes it to the papers.

The exemption to this is the 'defensive' part of driver training. The part that teaches you to be aware of everything that is going on around you. Getting prepared to brake if you're not sure if the car comnig up in the side road is going to stop or not.
There are so many incidents that could be avoided if people looked at more than 3 feet in front of their bonnet.
It takes more than 1 driver training course to make "learnt" behavior "instinctive"..

just because you learn a certain type of response doesn't mean it becomes automatic when you're faced with a split second decision....

Ive taught skilled sport for many many years and it takes months of repetitive training to correct or improve reactive/instictive skilled actions... in fact some never get it..

That said the idea is to not get yourself into an awkward driving situation to begin with.. especially a self inflicted one....

As you say its the things you learn to do as part of normal driving habits that help you the most like scanning the roads and sides of roads as you drive.

Old 22-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #129
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i added the term 'wowser' purely as retaliation, expecting some sort of response.
careful what you wish for ;)

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #130
prydey
Rob

regarding driver training, you have to be a little bit careful as i often think it could make the ones that already think they are schumacher, drive like it more often because 'they've had training'. the fear of 'what if xxxxx happens if i do this will no longer be there as they've been shown what to do in that situation.

bringing in 'limiters' like in heavy vehicles won't have an impact straight away as most young guys aren't driving the latest cars anyway, unless of course it is retro fitted to all cars but that would be way to hard to police.

as mentioned already, rule changes don't work as the people that are doing these things aren't following the existing rules so they don't care what the rule book says.

most people i have brought this subject up with have straight away gone down the 'restrict the type of car' route. again, all cars will do well in excess of 140km/h, regardless of what restrictions you put in place.

for me, its not about the cars or the driving, its about the attitude of the kids these days toward life in general. alcohol and drugs are everywhere and respect is missing.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #131
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That said the idea is to not get yourself into an awkward driving situation to begin with.. especially a self inflicted one....
Totally agree with everything, and this point is exactly what I am referring to about attitude.

My comment about driver training was pointing out that the focus should be on before the car gets out of control.