Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #61
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinB
Thing is, no one is saying they care more about mice then their health. And quite frankly, that is a strawman argument. You've given reasons why we need to get rid of them, yeah, but no one is arguing that. But that's not the point.

Heck, some of the stuff we've done as a species is comparatively a lot worse... but does that mean we should torture each other? Just saying, no need to be a jerk about things.
im not being a jerk, it is my job to kill these animals. it is not economically viable for me to go back hourly to check traps so i want to get one kill per trap, glue boards work on the first time (usually)

the chemicals used in my field (pest control) to terrible things to insects nervous system yet noone here is arguing for their welfare.

is it just because rodents are furry that people seem to care about them more than ants, cockies or spiders?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #62
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
im not being a jerk, it is my job to kill these animals. it is not economically viable for me to go back hourly to check traps so i want to get one kill per trap, glue boards work on the first time (usually)
I'm not talking about the killing. It's simply a jerkish thing to do to force a mouse to chew its limbs off or starve to death. All while it's scared out of its mind, half drowned in its own urine and faeces. It's torture.

They're not supposed to be left unattended for long periods of time anyway.

Quote:
the chemicals used in my field (pest control) to terrible things to insects nervous system yet noone here is arguing for their welfare.

is it just because rodents are furry that people seem to care about them more than ants, cockies or spiders?
That's because they kill the insects quick, and if you knew anything about animal biology you'd realise that insects actually don't feel pain, since they lack a cerebral cortex that mammals such as mice possess.

And I'm pretty sure there are regulations when it comes to glueboards so they are not open to abuse, such as frequent checking and humanely disposing of any animal caught. It's an outdated practice and with the other multitude of options, I don't see the point other than laziness (and a distinct lack of compassion). There are also a couple of major practical issues with them as well, but since you're "in the industry" I'm sure I don't need to explain...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #63
Thornie
Off smelting

yeh dont use glue traps, try to catch it in one of those cage traps you can get, then flame thrower it with aerosols, may not be humane but at least it will be fun.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #64
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
I'm not talking about the killing. It's simply a jerkish thing to do to force a mouse to chew its limbs off or starve to death. All while it's scared out of its mind, half drowned in its own urine and faeces. It's torture.

They're not supposed to be left unattended for long periods of time anyway.

That's because they kill the insects quick, and if you knew anything about animal biology you'd realise that insects actually don't feel pain, since they lack a cerebral cortex that mammals such as mice possess.

And I'm pretty sure there are regulations when it comes to glueboards so they are not open to abuse, such as frequent checking and humanely disposing of any animal caught. It's an outdated practice and with the other multitude of options, I don't see the point other than laziness (and a distinct lack of compassion). There are also a couple of major practical issues with them as well, but since you're "in the industry" I'm sure I don't need to explain...
whatever, thanx for looking down your nose at me.

ill keep doing what i do until the laws change because when it comes to my job im more than pretty sure about the regulations in my state
Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #65
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
yeh dont use glue traps, try to catch it in one of those cage traps you can get, then flame thrower it with aerosols, may not be humane but at least it will be fun.
in all seriousness..... the most humane way to kill a rodent is Co2 asfixiation (spelling?). and ive known people to drop the cage in a buchet of water to drown them, this was actually taught at tech as the correct way to kill a trapped rodent, im sceptical but
Old 04-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #66
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
whatever, thanx for looking down your nose at me.

ill keep doing what i do until the laws change because when it comes to my job im more than pretty sure about the regulations in my state
And thanks for attempting to take it out of context.

Oh don't worry, they will eventually. Amazes me how people can be so cruel to other animals just for the sake of minor, trivial convenience. Anyone with a shred of decency would understand that glue trapping is barbaric, and the sooner it is phased out, the better. Considering the access to so many quicker lethal-kill options is available at hand.

And when you think about it, glue traps hardly make sense - it doesn't really kill the animal, just lets it linger so it might escape. And it'll poop and pee all over the trap, from a sanitary and health POV that's no good at all. Ah, I suppose the little convenience you get from it is worth the agony the animals will go through? Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #67
BOSHOG
avenge me

anyway.... this is an ethical argument that can probably be saved for another thread

the OP asked for the best way to get a rodent out of his car, so maybe instead of picking flaws in current methods you can offer him some assistance, because from experience, traps just dont work
Old 04-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #68
Thornie
Off smelting

Me thinks this guys just joined to troll or is one of P.e.t.a's muppets.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #69
GavinB
Starter Motor

I've just given you two very good practical reasons why glue traps are lousy. I've already suggested methods, but there are more. Apart from your classical snapping traps (which actually work well despite what you say, they've been around for over a century and there's a reason why they are still #1), there are a couple of other methods. Electrocution traps and cage traps. Poison is one other but I wouldn't recommend it.

And what's posted is open to criticism, and that includes methods used. A glue trap is likely to fail as much as a mechanical one, so saying either don't work is pointless as they have both shown to be effective. Assuming both work, a quick kill trap is cleaner, and you don't have to worry about disposing of a live mouse or worry about the mouse escaping. They're also reusable.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #70
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
Me thinks this guys just joined to troll or is one of P.e.t.a's muppets.
If I was a PETA member, would I be recommending killing mice?

No.

You don't need to be a PETA member (or vegetarian) to say "man, that stuff is wrong" or be against unnecessary cruelty to animals. PETA trolls would be trolling people about how eating meat is evil and that everyone should go vegan. That'd be more effective at ****ing more people off. But disagreeing with one or two people who think being inhumane is OK... uhh, no. I'd say your post was more trolling than any of mine.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #71
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ban frangippani's, mouse glue traps, cold toilet seats and whatever else comes to mind.
The OP has requested info on getting rid of a pest that may/is causing damage to his cars wiring loom - ethical discussion on the grounds of how to humanely exterminate the furry little critter, as BOSHOG has suggested, shoud be the realms of another thread or a rant to a local member of parliament.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #72
left
Lady Leadfoot

As someone else said: FFS it's a mouse! Get some nads and catch the thing in your hand and take him down to the local park and let it go; a great meal for a native kite or owl. It's not gonna kill ya with the plague you big fraidy cats!. The poor bugger is most likely a field mouse - about 5 cm long from tip to tail at best - trying to find his way out of the d@mn car!

There's ways to address vermin without killing it and certainly without deriving pleasure from it. Sorry for that so-called "rant" but if you're the kind of *cough* man who enjoys inflicting pain of any living thing...yes, even a mouse...then you're pretty sad. JMHO

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
Old 04-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #73
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by left
As someone else said: FFS it's a mouse! Get some nads and catch the thing in your hand and take him down to the local park and let it go; a great meal for a native kite or owl. It's not gonna kill ya with the plague you big fraidy cats!. The poor bugger is most likely a field mouse - about 5 cm long from tip to tail at best - trying to find his way out of the d@mn car!
I'm sorry but how can one pick a little field mouse up when one is standing on top of a bar stool, screaming? I have quite long arms, but I'm not sure they'd reach to the ground.

Just doesn't make sense...

;)

Old 04-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #74
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
I'm sorry but how can one pick a little field mouse up when one is standing on top of a bar stool, screaming? I have quite long arms, but I'm not sure they'd reach to the ground.

Just doesn't make sense...

;)
May I suggest the following:

Throw the cat at it
Obtain a smaller bar stool
Use a fly swat, or available pool cue
Use of a baseball mitt will extend your arm length

Screaming will unfortunately deafen the mouse and could lead to animal right issues. There ya go
Old 04-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #75
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Seeing as though I started the ball rolling by saying, "mice can suffer and I don't care", I'll add in some more.

While some consider it inhumane to do that sort of thing, consider being burnt as a result of these friendly little rodents havuing their snack on your wiring.

Once you've gotten out of hospital as a result of 2nd degree burns from your chest upwards, then come on here and still say, "that's inhumane to make those little furry creatures suffer".

Then I might re-consider. Until then, no chance.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 04-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #76
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
While some consider it inhumane to do that sort of thing, consider being burnt as a result of these friendly little rodents havuing their snack on your wiring.

Once you've gotten out of hospital as a result of 2nd degree burns from your chest upwards, then come on here and still say, "that's inhumane to make those little furry creatures suffer".

Then I might re-consider. Until then, no chance.
So you're justifying pointless cruelty by revenge?

Firstly, such a revenge concept is entirely ridiculous when it comes to animals that aren't even self aware enough to know that they're doing harm. Mice aren't aware of concepts we take for granted - like car ownership, or that chewing on this wire will cause big problems, etc. They aren't out to get you. They're only trying to eke out a meagre existence by adapting to the environments we created and introduced them to. Deliberately causing suffering just because you suffered from an accident is still being excessive.

Because you know what? There is a big difference between killing pests humanely and gratuitous, wanton cruelty. Someone could use your excuse to light one on fire, ignoring that it's inhumane for petty revenge. We call these people "sadistic, sick bastards" around these parts. Are you one? I hope not, because such people have sunk themselves lower than the actions of a mouse.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #77
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

This has turned into a AFF classic!!. Revenge, burning at the stake, Trapping devices that would make a S&M dungeon look tame..
Now we're even into a mouses psychological inner workings and it's concepts of wrong Vs right.....
I think this is Definately a job for Mighty Mouse!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 05-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #78
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
This has turned into a AFF classic!!. Revenge, burning at the stake, Trapping devices that would make a S&M dungeon look tame..
Now we're even into a mouses psychological inner workings and it's concepts of wrong Vs right.....
I think this is Definately a job for Mighty Mouse!!

yep, i once caught a mouse in a trap and broke his foot, he ended up suing me and i had to pay for all his shrink visits from the psycological damage that i had done.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #79
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

. We call these people "sadistic, sick bastards" around these parts. Are you one? .

Yep. Call me the lot. Doesn't bother me. I'm from the old school, with my thought. Eye for an eye. Like it or hate, it works for me and it's not limited to mice either,

Now, let me know what you'd do after you've spent a couple of days in hospital because of it. Make sure you get a good burn round the neck to. That's the really good bit to have burnt IMA. Hard to breathe and swollow. Bloody terrific I think....... NOT.

I think it's time to move on from this area of discussion

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 05-02-2010, 05:29 AM   #80
GavinB
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Yep. Call me the lot. Doesn't bother me. I'm from the old school, with my thought. Eye for an eye. Like it or hate, it works for me and it's not limited to mice either,

Now, let me know what you'd do after you've spent a couple of days in hospital because of it. Make sure you get a good burn round the neck to. That's the really good bit to have burnt IMA. Hard to breathe and swollow. Bloody terrific I think....... NOT.
You seem to struggle with the "eye for an eye" concept. That is for those who mean to hurt you, like someone throwing a pot of boiling water on your neck to cause you pain. Your logic dictates you'd do the same to someone who does it unintentionally and by accident (eg. someone has tea on a balcony and slips, the cup flies out of their hand and the water happens to land onto you).

Hell if a dog ****ed on my stairs and I slipped and broke my arm because of it, does that give me just cause to start doing cruel things for "revenge"? Of course not, and anyone who does it needs their head examined.

You're being ridiculous, and trying to garner sympathy as a means of justification to torture animals makes it even moreso. It's not "old school", it's being an idiot. Some people might even say you deserve it for having such a disgusting mindset, but I won't. Not as low as you.

Last edited by GavinB; 05-02-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Closed Thread