Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default What will work?

Just spotted this article about a 12yr old trying to evade police in a stolen car.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225826756733

What will work as punishment to ensure he doesnt repeat?

Cant get L's until he's 21? - As we've seen before, he will probably just drive anyway.
Lifetime ban from driving? - See above

Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yet another product of the loony left social engineering experiment.

He has no respect whatsoever for authority as he know he cannot be touched.

Mandatory military service or some other place with dicipline may help but all corrective services will do is ensure his education in criminal technique is extensive and complete.

Bring back corporal punishment in schools and weekend detention doing comunity service for convicted juveniles.

Of course none of this will happen as he has the right to express himself as an individual and counselling will always ensure he follows his true path to human freedom......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Bring in mandatory jail time for these sort of offences
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately the Childrens Court is full of these little darlings on a daily basis. Break & enter, car theft, reckless driving,assault etc etc.
One of the main factor lies with a lack of supervision by the parents - 3.45am, and these kids are out and about at this time of the morning offending.

I'd say these kids are literally on the street, trying to survive - punishment? - that's the $64,000 question that remains unanswered.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
aye you
The Origional, The Best

in the NT we had mandtory sentencing, and yes it included the childrens court. the Crime rate was lower than it is now especially when kids who stole cars, ran from cops, broke into houses, assualted people etc got sent to detention for 2 weeks - a fortnight. the same went for adult.s

Now though, the kids get a slap on the wrist and get sent home, knowing full well the law cannot do anything to them, it's not uncommon for them to be back in court a few days later for another offence
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon the only thing that will work is an attitude transplant.

Gaol is no deterrant as all they do is perhaps deprive some liberty. The focus is on "rehabilitation" more than punishment.

Bring back hard time I say, smashing rocks for the local sand and cement or building stuff - that should do it. He needs to fear something.

Human rights - pfft.

:
geehaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

When i was that age an acquaintance was up to no good in the area, he ended up lighting a fire in an abandoned house which burnt it to the ground.

The local Sargent was talking to his (single) mother about punishment and asked if he could deal with it.
With Mums permission Sarge took the belt from around his waste and gave the boy a lesson that any 12 year old can well understand.
I believe he turned out ok in the end.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default Victoria Police catch 12-year-old driving stolen car.

Thought some of you might find this interesting and ofcourse a little : :

Quote:
A 12-year-old boy has been arrested for allegedly driving a stolen car in a brief police chase through the streets of Geelong.

The boy and his 16-year-old passenger were allegedly caught behind the wheel at a set of traffic lights when a police car pulled up beside them, a police spokesman told AAP.

Police say the boys are being questioned over a series of car break-ins overnight after allegedly stealing the car around 1am (AEDT).

The boys had driven the stolen car around the Geelong area until they pulled up next to the police car 3.45am, police say.

The officer took one look at the driver and realised how young he was, so he tried to pull them over as they made a left-hand turn near the Princes Highway.

The boys drove about 500 metres down the road before suddenly making a U-turn and crashing into a traffic signal.

The two were uninjured and were arrested after a brief foot chase.

No charges have been laid at this time.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225809994026

My question is what is a 12 year old doing driving a car at 3:45am? What is going through these kids minds when they do this?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

That link goes to a different story

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1225826595009
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy

That link goes to a different story
Yeah sorry about that, I must've looked at another article and forgot I wasn't on the same one I was pasting anymore. The quoted above is the whole article anyway
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well for one thing there isnt much going through the minds of the parents....

The amounts of accidents reported lately on the news in which carloads of teens, some as young as 12 and 13, having accidents late at night and early in the morning is now beyond a joke.

What sort of parent lets their 12yr old kids out at 3 am? or worse still, lets them get into a 17yr olds car?
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
iCat
doof doof doof doof

millitary service - discipline is what is needed desperately for kids like this. i cannot see any 12 year old (or 24 year old for that matter) not kakking themselves when they have some sergeant major screaming abuse 1 inch from their face.

kids like this are a totally different breed/mind set. being nice to them doesn't work.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Get them where it hurts.. the hip pocket. Are these parents on welfare? Get child support / payments?

If these kids are out at all hours, then their parent(s) are not doing their job. Therefore they have lost their access to financial support. Make them earn it by keeping up their end of the deal and maintaining supervision and control of their children.

Whatever age that is the cut off for kids to not get into serious trouble.. what is it.. 12? Out dated... this was from a time when probably hardly any 12 yr olds got done for mucking about.

Drop the age to 10... there is a VAST difference in a child's mentality and perceptions of right and wrong, even between 10 and 12...

Corporal punishment.. absolutely. Threats don't work any more. Reasoning is a joke as well... Weekend detention, home curfew... community service where they themselves WORK OFF their crimes... Along with a payment plan for the people they violated if they are financially hurt by other peoples actions.

Each time they stuff up... the MINIMUM punishment DOUBLES... no bargaining, no external circumstances to justify why they did what they did..

If you run from the law after being asked to stop, the fine doubles... triples.. who cares. We see time and time again how people all of a sudden tend to behave when the repercussions of their bad behaviour are exasperated (ie double demerits).

When I was that age, I knew what was right and wrong. The kids these days know as well, the only thing that has changed is the way we handle the situations..

Just yesterday... the radio was saying that a kid of very low teens was leading a police chase through the streets on a trail bike with an older teenager on the back.

Think it ended by the bike crashing...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...tm?site=sydney

The incident I was referring to.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #16
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Please don't automatically assume that all parents hold some blame in this.
It's all too easy to have a 'wayward' kid even with the best upbringing, and frankly as a parent, your hands are tied behind your back now. The system supports and encourages the kids while the parents are the ones seen as criminals (even when there is no truth in it). Kids are taught in primary school what their rights are and believe me if you have a kid that is that way inclined....then they don't hesitate in using those 'rights'.
There is no such thing as the discipline we had as kids, today you face court opposite your kid on an assault charge.
Just my 2c worth.
Meg's GT's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Cut his fingers off, then he cant hold a steering wheel lol!,

Seriously though how does a 12 year old even no how to steal/drive a car, somethings definetly wrong in his life!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:13 AM   #18
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Unhappy Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yet another product of the loony left social engineering experiment.

He has no respect whatsoever for authority as he know he cannot be touched.

Mandatory military service or some other place with dicipline may help but all corrective services will do is ensure his education in criminal technique is extensive and complete.

Bring back corporal punishment in schools and weekend detention doing comunity service for convicted juveniles.

Of course none of this will happen as he has the right to express himself as an individual and counselling will always ensure he follows his true path to human freedom......
I concur completely! Corporal punishment is a great idea - sure worked for me! I also question why on earth this child was out at 3.45am...? And how in the world did he get those keys?!

Unfortunately these days there are way too many parents who just don't seem to care where their children are, and that's the sad part...I wish they would. And whilst I understand it's not easy to always keep your children in check, perhaps the smart option is keeping your car keys close by so you don't end up footing the bill for the damage your wayward child has done?
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that it is just a poor individual crying out for a application to enroll for boot camp.
If a clown gets life. he can get a licence in 2 years.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post