Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
skipcaptain
Starter Motor

Default 2008 Focus CV joint unreplaceable?

Hi all,
Ive got a 2008 LT CL Focus with 9000kms on the clock. Ive had a clicking noise coming from the front suspension for the last few months. Its been irregular and Ive waited until its happening regularly to take it back to the dealer in Brisbane. I did so on monday and have been told that its a CV shaft which is gone! They said they dont have the part so I went in to pick up the car to wait for it and they told me that there are no CV shafts for a 2008 Focus anywhere in Australia. I got cranky and eventually was given a used Focus from the lot to drive while I wait for mine to be repaired (they told me that it could fail completely at any time and I shouldnt drive it). Yesterday I got an email saying that Ford are "changing parts providers and have no schedule for when a new CV jont will be available"
1./ Has anyone heard of a defective CV joint in a car with less than 10,000kms?
2./ What sort of supply chain has no spare part and no idea of when they will get one?
3./ Am I the only person in Australia with a Ford Focus awaiting a CV joint or are there cranky people like me in every city? The sales rep claimed to have never heard of it in a new car before.

I told him I thought the noise was coming from both sides but he assured me its only the left side. I told him that he'd beter not replace one and have me back for the other one.

Im torn as I want my car back but I am putting my kilometers on their car while I wait so Im not really disadvantaged. They cant tell me if it will be days, weeks or months and told me they have a Mondeo owner waiting until May for a spare part. That didnt make me feel any better. I assume that car isnt off the road though Im not sure.

I heard Proton dont order spares until they can fill a container but I expected better from Ford.

Any comments?

skipcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #2
rand0mn00b

it's happened to a couple of focus owners - according to the fault register, me and 64ORD. could be lots of others too.

personally it took 5 weeks to get the part in the first time, but fairly quickly the second time. as you can see mine was noisy on both sides as well but they only replaced one initially not believing both were making noises.

it developed in my car at about 20,000kms though.
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a Grand Cherokee once with this problem.

Under warranty, they changed both CV's, both shafts, and another right CV.
Cost the dealer huge $$$.

A new recruit pointed out that the clicking was actually more a high pitched popping.
On investigation they discovered that it was actually the hub that was the issue.
A tiny imperfection in the splines joining caused a tiny air pocket, which when turning
left or right, created a tiny popping noise. To me it was still a bloody clicking sound!!!
Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, gave me the s^%ts, especially in an echoey carpark.

They changed the hub, and no problemo's. That one went down in the Chrysler/Jeep annals world wide apparently. CHECK THIS FIRST!

I wonder if it could be your problem too? They probably dont have a spare hub either...

Your story is surprising on two levels, I hope yo get it sorted.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
rand0mn00b

leakey, that is really, really interesting... when Ford changed just my CV joints, the problem came back after a few thousand KMs

However, after they changed the entire hub assembly (for other problems) and then replaced the CV joints again it's been good!
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
small_ford
Starter Motor

make an enquiry on www.fordpartsuk.co.uk and if they can supply them out of stock ask your Ford dealer why they have a problem.
small_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
small_ford
Starter Motor

sorry its www.fordpartsuk.com
small_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcaptain
Hi all,
Ive got a 2008 LT CL Focus with 9000kms on the clock. Ive had a clicking noise coming from the front suspension for the last few months. Its been irregular and Ive waited until its happening regularly to take it back to the dealer in Brisbane. I did so on monday and have been told that its a CV shaft which is gone! They said they dont have the part so I went in to pick up the car to wait for it and they told me that there are no CV shafts for a 2008 Focus anywhere in Australia.

Any comments?
Ouch! I am just approaching 18,000kms in my 08 Focus and fingers crossed I don't have the same problem in the near future but before the warranty runs out if it does happen.
:
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Ha I bet there was one for an LS!!!! same dog

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post