Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Drive in's

I just read about a drive in night in the events forum, ahh that took me back to my youth... Mad Max , Running on empty, great movies ,summer nights trying to sneak four of your mates in the boot to save cash I can remember a night we all paid to get in and walked next door to KFC and asked to manager for some empty (I think they were called barrels of chicken in those days) packaging to smuggle in some stubbies which then bought from the pub across the road and walked back in without a second glance :hihi: ahh to be 18 again.... anybody else got some tales to tell?

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Falcman0o7
Banned

I wish mate! :
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

In my teens I lived near a drive in, we could sit on the roof and watch the movies, sound was only good when the wind was blowing the right way

Or jump the fence and get in for free, there was a playground under the screen we sat on we would turn up the front row of old fashioned speakers to hear (the rear half were the new fangled aerial attaching types)

Another time we took some empty silver wine bladders to sit on as cushions, just blew them up, people were saying look at those drunk kids etc

Another time we were having a party at the house, some musician friends were playing trumpets, sax etc, the drive in manager came around and complained people couldn't hear the movie

Then I got my license and actually PAID to go in with my car???

Still there were some advantages to having a car....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Mad Maxine

Higher vantage point? LOL, only kidding!

Shazz

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
zdcol71
zdcol71

I took a mate on the back of my bike to the local drive- in to see "Stone" when it first came out ,we rode in too fast and I got caught up in the humps, with little control over the bike, and ended up looking like a pair of wild bikie types running amok at the D-I.
When it turned out that the copper in the movie was riding a Norton,(same as mine), we were suddenly the coolest guys in the place. We went back a week or so later to relive the experience, but this time there was a bunch of "real" bikies all on Z900's (as rode the Coffin Cheaters),and given that we were just a couple of young kids, we were found out to be a little less cool than the first time we went!
(Also remember sneaking around to hide in the bus shelter over the road to watch the "soft core" ,I think Emmanuelle rings a bell. Didn't seem to matter to us as 17-18 year olds that there was no sound!!)
Old 14-04-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to visit the drive inn which is now a block of units in Canberra. The old sign is still there. Used to go in the Sandman Panelvan I owned. Mine had a one peice tailgate with glass top to bottom. Perfect for those cold winter nights. On the matress, kick back, enjoy the movie.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm where to start. as a kid going to the drive in`s with the olds, getting a license and car and taking your girlfriend there (hehe). taking the work truck (piled with couches,eskys), these days just taking the ol cruisers out on the ol car cruise .
Old 15-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Yep went with a mate who hooked up a couple of old nightclub speakers and amp to his car stereo. Then we sat next to his car on fold up chairs, 4 foot speakers to each side of us.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

hide in the boot and get out once you were in!