Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #31
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Lets not descend into another Boeing V Airbus argument please. Not trying to sound nasty but with your statement on the "graceful smoother fliers" is rather ill informed and amateurish.
Also false. Though i agree its a pretty pointless argument most aviation spotters i've spoken to think the Boeing is the more asthetically pleasing to the eye. Not the other way around.

At best the arbii land a bit more 'nose up', ala a swan putting down on a pond but that is a generalisation as not all boeing aircraft land 'flat' niether (747 doesn't for example).

The airbus vs boeing thing has been done to death. Even the more 'informed' aviation spotters realise its a pointless argument.....let alone amongst the less well briefed....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #32
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Also false. Though i agree its a pretty pointless argument most aviation spotters i've spoken to think the Boeing is the more asthetically pleasing to the eye. Not the other way around.

At best the arbii land a bit more 'nose up', ala a swan putting down on a pond but that is a generalisation as not all boeing aircraft land 'flat' niether (747 doesn't for example).

The airbus vs boeing thing has been done to death. Even the more 'informed' aviation spotters realise its a pointless argument.....let alone amongst the less well briefed....
True that, esp. since the 747 is reknowned for its ground effect.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #33
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
True that, esp. since the 747 is reknowned for its ground effect.
Yes...helpful little feature that no? LOL. I used to fly the 744 in the sim (PMDG queen of the skies mod....very good quality sim plane indeed...very realistic in systems etc.) and it was dead easy to land IMO compared to the 767. And way way easier than the 737 which i HATED. Alot of pilots i've spoken to agree with this atcually...putting the 737 as one of the worst (relatively speaking....it ain't that bad) they've flown. 757 and 747 probably the two best.

767 is a notoriously 'flat' landing aircraft....which is one of the reasons it is so damn hard to land. Its not bad in terms of control laterally (good roll/rudder control helps) but horid longitudinally....its floats like a b***h and you never know for sure just how long or short if might 'drop' out.....or how hard niether. So you either transition to a nose up flair early on (and back off power....hoping you guessed right) or fly in flat, and then yank back hard and avoid a wheelbarrow at the last minute. Guess what happens if you do option 2 and you are carying 0.3 knots too much speed....hmm...why are we floating ha ha

But i digress. The 767 is one of the least appealing boeings to look at it and yet i still love the old girl. Hell if these 787s take much longer to turn up i think the QF 763s will go close to setting some new records for 767 cycles....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 05-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #34
MexicanBatman
Banned

sorry Capitan ill informed, you may drive the bus, but i see many buses pull in to the stop every day, and from a side profile (afaik the spotters sit at the ends of the runway here, i dont watch ac land for recreation) the 737 is up down side to side and all over the place, that may just be the qf and dj pilots i dunno, but then when a 320 pulls in it seems to do the same job with much less fuss, same goes for a 76 not so much for a 77 or 74, but you can really notice the difference when a 330 lands but hey thats just my ill informed view.... as for a vs b i couldnt care less, if your sitting in economy they are all crap
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #35
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
When is it on George?
Gday Dallas

Next on 2:30pm today on the History channel (606 on Foxtel)

Although that doesnt help when most of the popn is at work!

Tuesday 11/05 10:30pm

Repeated Wednesday 12/05 2:30pm
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #36
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
sorry Capitan ill informed, you may drive the bus, but i see many buses pull in to the stop every day, and from a side profile (afaik the spotters sit at the ends of the runway here, i dont watch ac land for recreation) the 737 is up down side to side and all over the place, that may just be the qf and dj pilots i dunno, but then when a 320 pulls in it seems to do the same job with much less fuss, same goes for a 76 not so much for a 77 or 74, but you can really notice the difference when a 330 lands but hey thats just my ill informed view.... as for a vs b i couldnt care less, if your sitting in economy they are all crap
Am I the only one left scratching my head at this?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #37
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Am I the only one left scratching my head at this?
Ah...i kinda get what andrew is saying. Its a well known fact that many (generalisations here) airbus landings will be a little 'smoother' (or will appear so from the outside or as a passenger anyway) than their boeing equivalents.

Its frankly quite complicated how you get to this situation (depends how in depth you want to go) but a big part of it is the setup of the aircraft not only in terms of aerodynamic design (lift versus drag etc.), but also, more significantly, the nature of the control systems (literally how the pilots fly the plane). They are quite different esp for the older boeings (pre mid 90s design) versus the airbii. In effect the airbi are all 'fly by wire', i.e not only are control surfaces not physicaly connected to pilots controls but the aircraft does the bulk of the work EVEN ON FINAL via its flight computers. This includes, for example, engine thrust control. That is the important bit since it is the marriage of directional and thrust control that makes for a 'smooth' landing. Not to sound too corny but landing an airbus FROM A HANDFLY STANDPOINT is akin to using the joystick on an XBOX360 controler. Joystick back, pitch up, left, roll left , right, roll right etc. Speed is maintained as set by autothrottle right to touchdown. Not so with the boeing equivalents (never use autothrottle below 200ft or something i think it is for the 767)

Stress, all of the above is generalisation. Its not an issue of safety or even overall comfort, more so 'apperance' and control methodology...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #38
scoupedy

Its the landings that you don't walk away from that bother me not how pritty they look landing safely.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #39
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Originally Posted by andrewg6e
sorry Capitan ill informed, you may fly the plane, but i see many planes land every day, and from a non pilot point of view (eg sitting at the end of the runway watching) the 737 is up down side to side and all over the place, that may just be the qantas and virgin pilots i dunno, but then when a A320 lands it seems to do the same job with much less fuss, same goes for a B767 not so much for a B777 or B747, but you can really notice the difference when a A330 lands but hey thats just my ill informed view.... as for Airbus vs Boeing i couldnt care less, if your sitting in economy they are all crap

Translated to make slightly clearer.

Airbus aircraft may seem to be more stable on approach, this could be due to the higher level of automation. From jump seating on Airbus and boeing aircraft, yes the pilots seem to work a bit harder on boeing machines, but either way, there are so many factors that are going to affect how each and every landing is handelled
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #40
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
Translated to make slightly clearer.

Airbus aircraft may seem to be more stable on approach, this could be due to the higher level of automation. From jump seating on Airbus and boeing aircraft, yes the pilots seem to work a bit harder on boeing machines, but either way, there are so many factors that are going to affect how each and every landing is handelled
Also has a bit to do with the separation point as per design of the wing and angle of incidence, and the way the airflow is diverted in proximity to the ground as well as the wake of the aircraft. A320 will have less drop than a 737 as the 737 has shorter gear, meaning it is still flying when the a320 would have already touched down. Same happens on pretty much all short geared planes like MD80's etc. You can get quite good at it such as the qf 737 guys, but the dj boys seem to have more rough ones than greasers I'm told.

As for automation, scarebuses tend to be the most passive ac to fly as the fmc overrides inputs regularly, and resultantly most approaches are at the very least highly semi automated. Overall you can fly and land a boeing, in scarebus the plane flies you.

Quote: