Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The comments are not really in favour of poor Stuart and it looks like they will publish anything....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #62
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The comments are not really in favour of poor Stuart and it looks like they will publish anything....
from anyone....!

Old 21-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #63
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
Well by couple-of-year-old, I mean more like 5-10 year old, you can pick up from between $20-70 depending on where you look ;)

We had a 2000 spec V10 manual come through just recently, was picked up for ~$10k!
2000 model M5s were not V10.
V10 was introduced in 2005 (E60).
Old 21-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #64
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
2000 model M5s were not V10.
V10 was introduced in 2005 (E60).
my bad, it was a 5L, v8 then? May have been a conversion tho - was very neat, and could have sworn it was a 10cyl.
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu-GenixX
It didn't say anywhere in the article that it was using E85.. just said it was an ethanol blend capable of E85
I would take this as the Commodore running E85.

Quote:
The three-litre V6 is running on an ethanol-blend and it's a little smoother - the sweeter fuel has not roughed the V6 up. It still feels a little undergone through the mid-range compared to the Ford and the trip computer ended the same loop showing 13.7 litres per 100km, which corresponds to Holden expectations of increased fuel use on E85
Old 21-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #66
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know, call me crazy but I agree with the final score. In my opinion the Commodore is a pretty good package in base model form.

More safety equipment, more features, better looking (subjective), better resale. I would still buy the Falcon but a Commodore I think is a better drive. It feels more planted to the road and the seating position is much better. It also dosnt have the front end float that base model Falcons have. Driving a base Commodore with its 50:50 weight distribution on a windy road makes you appreciate how good they are.

I doubt that there is this massive conspiracy against the Falcon, its just that the Commodore is pretty dam good nowadays and I think that hurts a few people on here to hear.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #67
jonk

Used to know Stuart. He's part time now. The journo's vet their own comments section. Obviously a co-worker let through the more abrasive stuff. Happy happy comments have been disallowed.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #68
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I dont know, call me crazy but I agree with the final score. In my opinion the Commodore is a pretty good package in base model form.

More safety equipment, more features, better looking (subjective), better resale. I would still buy the Falcon but a Commodore I think is a better drive. It feels more planted to the road and the seating position is much better. It also dosnt have the front end float that base model Falcons have. Driving a base Commodore with its 50:50 weight distribution on a windy road makes you appreciate how good they are.

I doubt that there is this massive conspiracy against the Falcon, its just that the Commodore is pretty dam good nowadays and I think that hurts a few people on here to hear.
Brazen, your comment here seems to contradict even Stuarts comments:
Quote:
On the winding country roads of the Adelaide hills, the Falcon - even in its mainstream chassis set-up - feels well-planted on the road. In the corners the steering has good meat to it and despite not being the sports model it handles bends (including those with mid-corner bumps) with aplomb and without excessive body-roll.
The VE II is similarly impressive over the same twisty loop, with lighter steering that feels a little less meaty than the Falcon.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #69
Falcman0o7
Banned

I'm not even going to read that. It's just one man's opinion. BORING. And does the FG and VE share the same roof and doors! LOL! there's similar and then there's just ummm....To similar.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #70
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Did the Australians Design and Engineer it from scratch ?
(Or is it just a rebadged V6 Camry from overseas)
What's the relevance of the question? Aurion & Camry are made in Australia, and in fact Toyota spends $2.4 billion on locally manufactured componentry per annum, make 140,000 vehicles per year at Altona and export roughly 100,000 of those. Aurion is a facelifted Camry - no secret there. The entire facelift was designed in Australia. Are you saying that the Commodore and Falcon have no design influence at all from their parent companies internationally?

Look here: http://www.caradvice.com.au/64870/to...-altona-plant/

In comparison, how much local componentry goes in to the Commodore or Falcon? More into the Ford than the Holden I'm guessing, but the sheer volume of Toyotas manufactured compared to Commos & Falcs means that Toyota are far more valuable to the Aussie economy than the other two internationally owned local manufacturers.
Old 22-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #71
lownloud
Ford Junkie

I have just got a '07 VE Omega and came out of a '07 BF mkII XT. I have to say at first I was thinking the VE was a nicer package. It does have a few extra niceties and features that the Falcon lacked. A few weeks in and it's a different story. I've had a chance to live with and look over the car in more detail and have found it to be lacking in many ways.
Bearing in mind I do still think it is better equipped I have found the following:

Ford holds the road way better. VE feels floaty in the rear.
VE paint is very ordinary over whole car. Orange peel seems to be the acceptable finish.
Carpet and trim on VE feels very "made in China" and all comes a drift regularly.
VE has very cheap plasticy feeling and loose fitting parts everywhere. Try around the headlight switch for instance or beside passenger seat.
VE engine goes well but is very agricultural sounding.
VE Door trim and interior materials seem hard to clean. Armour All it and cover it up seems to work better.

I am generally very underwhelmed with it so far and my idea of "trying what the other team runs" has so far fallen flat. My next car will be another Falcon thanks! I'll take some good old fashioned build quality over funky digital dash lights and gimmicks.

I reckon if you want top make some money in the future buy up the crappy VE plastic bits cause you'll make a fortune on Ebay in 10 years time!
Old 22-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #72
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Brazen, your comment here seems to contradict even Stuarts comments:
To be fair I dont think Im contradicting him by the quote you gave from him. he is right saying the Falcon is a great handler, just that I prefer the way the Commodore drives in base model form - but im sure most of that must come down to the driving position of the Commodore.

He does mention the steering in the Falcon and I think this is one area that both cars really shine. For a while carmakers made steering heavier to give the impression that the car was more sporty or gave more feedback (cough, cough BA and VZ). Whereas the VE and FG have been able to give feedback and meatiness whilst still being delicate and precise.

For me the improvements in the FG simply in the steering should be enough to get BA-BF owners to upgrade. Its back to AU Falcon levels of steering goodness.

I still would buy a Falcon (if it came in wagon) but it dosnt suprise me that the Commodore won the test. I think you have to live with a Falcon for a while before you can truly appreciate how much better the package is, whereas the Commodores probably gives a good first impression with its trinkets.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #73
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
He does mention the steering in the Falcon and I think this is one area that both cars really shine. For a while carmakers made steering heavier to give the impression that the car was more sporty or gave more feedback (cough, cough BA and VZ). Whereas the VE and FG have been able to give feedback and meatiness whilst still being delicate and precise.

For me the improvements in the FG simply in the steering should be enough to get BA-BF owners to upgrade. Its back to AU Falcon levels of steering goodness.
Fully agree with this bit at least Brazen. The FG steering is really a revelation for a heavy family sedan....there are quite a few big name competitors (with prices to match) that would come up short compared to the Falcon in this regard. In fact with the variable ratio and better feedback i'd say the FG finally surpasses the AU (at least in luxury spec) because it is a fraction more meaty and less floaty in its front end setup. Also understeers less mid corner....which is a nice change from most of what is out there these days....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #74
anto
Za Dom spremni

i still prefer the steering feel in the AU, its spot on.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #75
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
I agree, but would go further. The FG steering is so direct, so developed, it actually takes a while to get used to. Obviously the repositioning of the steering rack has moved the ford leaps and bounds ahead. The VE in comparison is more or less an evolution of the steering in the VZ which was more direct than the BA/BF, but compared to the directness of the FG the VE steers like the Titanic.

Quote: