Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #31
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Haha. 50k and a car is stuffed? I have only ever owned second hand cars and not one of them has been unreliable. I put about 40k on a car in a year and my current runabout has ~290 000 on the clock. Can park it anywhere at shops and not worry. No rips in seats, and hasn't changed how it drives. A bit of regular maintenace goes a long way with mechanical components.

i disagree.

290000km? dear god i couldent drive something like that would be a death trap in my opinion. well 2nd hands that i have owned were just junk. so i only have bought new for years now. just dont like the thought of "old"
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL glavas, guess you never ride in a taxi huh?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #33
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL glavas, guess you never ride in a taxi huh?

only if its a statesman
Old 11-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #34
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
only if its a statesman
What if its a statesman with more than 50,000ks?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #35
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
What if its a statesman with more than 50,000ks?

id just cry i think, buckle up and hold on for dear life. and no im not joking. i just dont trust old cars. id sell a gtho if it was stock and i had one....
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Haha. 50k and a car is stuffed? I have only ever owned second hand cars and not one of them has been unreliable. I put about 40k on a car in a year and my current runabout has ~290 000 on the clock. Can park it anywhere at shops and not worry. No rips in seats, and hasn't changed how it drives. A bit of regular maintenace goes a long way with mechanical components.
I used to know a guy who would only ever date really ugly chicks.

He said that they were better for him because they were easy to pick up and he had very little trouble with other people trying to take them from him.

He would constantly babble on about how the cute ones were just a waste of time and money.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #37
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I used to know a guy who would only ever date really ugly chicks.

He said that they were better for him because they were easy to pick up and he had very little trouble with other people trying to take them from him.

He would constantly babble on about how the cute ones were just a waste of time and money.......

Are you talking about yourself in third person again?
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #38
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I was always of the opinion of never buying a new car until i bought my XR5 its a totally different expierance to buying 2nd hand
Is that you or your wallet speaking?
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #39
Cooper69S

Quote:
The most common reason why people do not buy new is they can't afford it.
But then if no one bought second hand then there would be no resale at all so it all works.
to some extent I agree, although a significant number of private purchases where people could afford to buy new will still buy second hand because in most cases it's a financially smarter decision.

Many new car purchasers have some kind of incentive - either fleet discount, tax writeoff (business use), tax minimisation (novated leasing) or the like. to buy a car brand new privately without any "incentive", especially a premium model like a GT that will likely depreciate much more heavily (dollar wise, not necessarily percentage) can easily cost you $10k-$20k or more compared to 12-18 month old s/h ones - that's a lot to pay for a couple of months of "new car feel". By then it will feel exactly the same as any other second hand one
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #40
dave289
Banned

Quote:
i always buy new cause im not cheap and i can afford it. i love that new smell and the fact that that no one has driven it.(apart from test drive blah blah) when i was younger i bought 2nd hand and they kept breaking down so now ill only buy new and sell when they hit 50000km which is about every 5-8 years.cause ive noticed 50000km is when trouble starts to happen. i just dred the thought of driving a car with like 100 000km on it. the plastics are all worn, it dosent drive good, rips in the seats etc.
You sound like a wenker to say the least, you should change your avatar to galarvas.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #41
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
You sound like a wenker to say the least, you should change your avatar to galarvas.

how do i sound like a ******? im expressing my opinion is that not the point of a fourm? why should i be wrong just cause my view differs from yours?glavas is my last name why would i change it? i dont even no what a avatar is. the movie????
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #42
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Is that you or your wallet speaking?
Was waiting for that.

No in all honesty i guess it was a little more personalised choosing colours, intereior options etc.
I will definately buy another new car
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #43
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I've only ever bought 2nd hand cars.
Although I am now in a position where I could buy new, I still think it would
be difficult to justify the depreciation and loss of $$.

My last 2 cars:

'92 EB Fairmont.
Price when new in '92: $35k
Bought this car at 12 years old, with 260,000km on it for $2k. Sold it 4 years and 100,000km later for $1k.
This car was solid, reliable and didn't cost that much in repairs, although it had a few minor ones during its time with me.
For the record, I still see it around town with the next owner !!
Depreciation for me: $1k + repairs out of pocket

'03 BA XR6 (current car).
Price when new in '03: $36k
Bought this car at 5 years old, with 70,000km on it for $17k.
The car has not really missed a beat in 2 years and 60,000km. Only repair has been a new power steering pump.
Depreciation for me (assumed): $7k + $600 repairs out of pocket

I think the argument isn't that bad for an older or second hand car. When
you look at the figures, and certain examples, the cost of maintaining or
repairing an older car is likely to be far less that the depreciation losses on
a new or new-ish car.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #44
dave289
Banned

Quote:
how do i sound like a ******? im expressing my opinion is that not the point of a fourm? why should i be wrong just cause my view differs from yours?glavas is my last name why would i change it? i dont even no what a avatar is. the movie????
you sounded like a wenker by saying your not cheap, and that others must be who dont buy new cars. I have bought new but the car was nothing like wot I get secondhand. for eg second hand monaro ,purple ,purple leather ,v8 had 72kms ,paid $19,500 two and a half years ago(nrma said they would insure it for$37,000 when I bought it and aami said $36000) , would still get $19,500 today with 93,000 on the clock, it drives like new ,would more than likely smoke whatever brand new car you have and drive a hell of a lot better. one of my other cars that I bought just over 3 years ago is insured for just over 4 times what I paid for it and have spent no more than a thousand dollars in maintence since I bought it. to me buying a new car is like holding a naked flame to my cash . avatar, yes good movie
Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #45
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

A lot of valid comments on here but IMO you need to buy a new to actually see what its like to own a new car i guess. I always said id never buy new and ended up doing so and dont regret it one bit
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #46
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

buying new is a totally different and rewarding experience every secondhand car I have purchased has had me forking out mega coin getting it right or fixing neglect, the XR6T even burned me badly I have spent (so far 2.6k clutch 4.6k T56 and about another 3k on doing mods properly injectors/pump XCAL3 and a CAT which I am yet to do) Bought an 09 plate LV XR5 new and it has been a pleasure and has needed zero nasty rape expenditure - also the cost to insure the LV xr5 was less than the AU XR6 w/VCT I traded on it - apparently new cars are "far less likely to crash" than ones purchased sechand figure that one out

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #47
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
A lot of valid comments on here but IMO you need to buy a new to actually see what its like to own a new car i guess. I always said id never buy new and ended up doing so and dont regret it one bit
I have entertained the idea of getting fg2 gt as it seems like such an awesome car , will be having a look hopefully next monday at the sydney motorshow. I would then think I should wait for the next series or the last series or the "gtho" if it happens and could probably never convince myself to buy. I must admit that I'm not easily excited but am by the idea of the new v8.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #48
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
buying new is a totally different and rewarding experience every secondhand car I have purchased has had me forking out mega coin getting it right or fixing neglect, the XR6T even burned me badly I have spent (so far 2.6k clutch 4.6k T56 and about another 3k on doing mods properly injectors/pump XCAL3 and a CAT which I am yet to do) Bought an 09 plate LV XR5 new and it has been a pleasure and has needed zero nasty rape expenditure - also the cost to insure the LV xr5 was less than the AU XR6 w/VCT I traded on it - apparently new cars are "far less likely to crash" than ones purchased sechand figure that one out
HHHmmmmm my 10 plate 5 is cheaper then my T2 TE50 aswell
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #49
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is ALL about supply and demand.

Also depends on whether you like dealing with car dealers, or prefer trolling through the Sunday Times.
Finally, how hard do you want your finance to be.

I prefer to deal with a dealer:
• A dealer knows exactly what the car is worth, and really WANTS to sell it to you.
• Much , much easier to obtain finance.
• For most vehicles you have statutory warranty, plus reputable dealers generally won’t sell bodged cars.
• Dealers can often fix small defects cheaply.
• A dealer can take your trade-in and generally knows how to get the right price for it.

Furthermore, I prefer to buy new:
• I know PRECISELY what I am getting, with no chance of hidden bodges, or of me failing to spot a defect.
• I can exactly choose my colour and options.
• I can haggle with multiple dealers and screw them down to the best possible price.

Those that feel they have lost $$$ “simply by driving a new car out of the dealership” are often not accounting for stamp duty, and/or they have made the mistake of paying full list price for a new car.

I am often shocked to hear of people buying a year old car, for only a smidgen less than what I was able to negotiate on a new one!

Every car will depreciate (apart from some exotics or collectables) and the more it costs, the more it will depreciate. If you’re happy with a cheaper (2nd hand) car, then obviously you will lose less in depreciation. That doesn’t mean that “someone else has paid the depreciation for you,” it just means that you have settled for a cheaper car.

If buying new, be very careful of “demonstrators.” They will make out that they are giving you a huge discount (after they have jacked up the list price with obscenely overpriced options) but in reality are often only giving the same discount you could haggle on a new car. Plus you are giving up your choice of colours and options, and yes you are buying a car that has been driven, possibly by hundreds of yokels.

So too, be very wary of last year’s run-outs. The car is already “a year older” which means it will always have less resale. Most manufacturers release updates and upgrades based on model year, so you may be missing on something even if it is ostensibly the same model. Ford generally release their updates in October, so you may get the updated version, but them some people always advise against buying a car built in the first few months. Choices of colours and options are often limited, and again the “huge discounts” offered might be obtained with sufficient haggling on a new year’s car.

However, as I said at the start, it is all about supply & demand, and is often driven by fleet sales. Where there are large numbers being sold new, and then quickly returned to the 2nd hand market, that will depress the 2nd hand prices. The last time I looked seriously at this for a Ford was back before the FGs. In regards to XR8s, XR6s, and XR6Ts, there were a lot coming back onto the market within a year and under 20k on the clock, and the prices were very reasonable compared to new.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #50
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
eg second hand monaro ,purple ,purple leather ,
Are you sure it wasn't a Valiant?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #51
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've been told buying a second hand car is the same as marrying a divorced woman.

i'd say, buy a new car at least once in your life.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
apparently new cars are "far less likely to crash" than ones purchased sechand figure that one out
Well it is all done on on statistics.

Maybe people who buy second hand cars are much worse drivers than those who buy new ones and crash more
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #53
buickman
buickman

Quote:

Maybe people who buy second hand cars are much worse drivers than those who buy new ones and crash more
You might be onto something there I just purchased a 50th Anniversary XR6 new great value but because it is new and I paid for the car myself. I'm paranoid about how close I park the car to gutters and other cars and drive more so in defensive manner than the EL Fairmont we have.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #54
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Maybe people who crash more often can't afford a new car due to high insurance premiums.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post