Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
mcmn
Starter Motor

Default New Car shopping - advice appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to be in the market for a new car! Unfortunetly, the R35 GT-R, BMW M3 are a little out of the price range, so I've settled on looking at more realistic targets

I'm currently weighing up the options but would appreciate some views on my decision to persue 6 turbo over the s/c 8.

- Car will be driven daily.
- Ideally would like to modify the car to be capable of low/mid 11s 0-400. I would like for this to be done progressively (i.e when the wife looks the other way).
- Note brakes are important too - the brembos on the F6 look good!
- Car will be auto (the wife )

Given the above - is the 6turbo a viable option? Will it cost me more or less to get low/mid 11s performance from the turbo over the s/c 8?

Is there a remarkable gains on the F6 over the XR6T, G6ET? If my plan is to modify the engine in the longer run, is my money better spent on modifications, or does the F6 package remarkably change to base?

Can anyone link to threads that outline example/approximate path and cost to modify the standard F6/G6ET to low/mid 11s?

Appreciate the assistance! There is a lot of content on this forum that I'm currently navigating my way through!

mcmn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I would go the F6 over the G6ET

But, the new supercharged coyote FG GT is capable of obscene power with a tune only.........
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a second hand FG F6 for high 30s, low 40s and use the money saved for your mods.

As soon as you play your warranty is dead anyway so why bother with 3 years.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #4
edwin

When my BF Mk2 GT is due for replacement, I always thought the FPV F6 would be the next car. How wrong was I when the new SC Coyote came out and after driving it. That car blew away the aspirations of the F6 or a second hand MB AMG C63!

So get a new FG GT S/C!

Waiting on a new car

Former
04/11 FPV FG GT Boss 335 #438 6 speed ZF, Silhoutte, Leather seats, Park Distance Control, FPV Floor Mats, Tinting and reversing camera.

05/11 FPV FG F6 310 ute. #046
6 speed ZF, Silhoutte, Leather seats, Prestige sound, colour screen. 19" Enkei GTC-01 rims. 19 * 8.5 front and 19 * 10 rear

01/07 FPV BF Mk II GT #142 6 speed ZF, Ego
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just my personal view, but I’ve never understood why people want to fork out top dollar for a new car, then start severe modifications. If you want to go that route, buy the cheapest 2nd hand car that meets your basic requirements, and put the money into rebuilding it how you like. Just me, but in your shoes I’d buy the cheapest rust-free BA MANUAL I could find, and start from scratch. Get your I6 rebuilt from the ground up with the turbo of your dreams, new suspension and running gear, wheels & tyres of your choosing, and put a few grand into a custom leather interior.

The other thing I don’t understand is why people want to combine their personal development platform with the sled the missus drives. The False economies are many. Whichever way you go, your car is going to be expensive to run, maintain, fix, and insure. Far better to buy her some auto slug that is more to HER liking, and leave you in peace to build your ride how you want it. (You can also use her car for trips to the shops were you won’t care so much about ferals hitting your doors.)

On I6 vs V8, it is purely and simply a PERSONAL choice. Nothing more, nothing less. Raving on about the latest turbo or now the S/C V8 is redundant.
If you’re going to modify the car anyway, then stock numbers are meaningless. EITHER engine will give you what you want with the right mods. Personally, I would go V8 every day, but that’s MY personal preference. The only point I would make is that there are an abundance of Barras around for someone to turbo up, but fiding the right V8 to start with might take a bit more time.

If you’re insistent on buying NEW, then following logic above I would go with the XR6T as the starting point for your mods. No point paying the premium for an FPV when you’re planning extensive mods anyway. (If you don’t plan to redo the interior, then may be start with the G6ET, as it is nicer inside.)